Visual Perk Editor

rf900

Ok, think I fixed it now, need to test this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Now the replace HEX values are shorter, but still should be safe to find in the UPK.

Still I recommend replacing the entire functions and then repack.

Miin can you try now? It should find the HEX values, only once per each change.

Edited by rf900

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm ok I could find almost all the value changes. I tried only to modify the heavy to begin with so I used:

1,2,3,6,5,11,7,23,9,10,48,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48

and got these hex values:

OLD HEX

04 2C 16 06 4A

04 2C 5B 06 4A

04 2C 18 06 4A

04 2C 5D 06 4A <= this line I couldnt find but all the rest so I tried to only use the above lines.

NEW HEX

04 2C 5B 06 4A

04 2C 5D 06 4A

04 2C 2B 06 4A

04 2C 36 06 4A

Game didnt start. So I tried from scratch with the uncompressed XComGame.upk. I used XHAPE.bat before I copied in the uncompressed XComGame.upk file, didnt change any values just too see if I could make it work with this uncompressed version, so I used XSHAPE.bat again then started the game and it worked. And Im in offline mode on steam the entire time. So Im kinda stuck here atm......

Either Im using XSHAPE wrongly since in the #8 post number 7 states to use the patcher, I went into the XSHAPE dir and there is indeed a patcher.bat but it requires you to use the modpatcher that I dont have.

here is what it does:

@echo off

start /b /wait modpatcher DefaultGameCore.mod

start /b /wait java -jar XSHAPE.jar 26444500

pause

The file I used called XSHAPE.bat has this in it:

@echo off

java -jar XSHAPE.jar 26444500

pause

So any thoughts too what Im doing wrong?

Edit: repack? thought they made it so that didnt work anymore? hence the unpack and modify the exe so it can use the uncompressed upk's.

Edited by Miin

Game didnt start. So I tried from scratch with the uncompressed XComGame.upk. I used XHAPE.bat before I copied in the uncompressed XComGame.upk file, didnt change any values just too see if I could make it work with this uncompressed version, so I used XSHAPE.bat again then started the game and it worked. And Im in offline mode on steam the entire time. So Im kinda stuck here atm......

Either Im using XSHAPE wrongly since in the #8 post number 7 states to use the patcher, I went into the XSHAPE dir and there is indeed a patcher.bat but it requires you to use the modpatcher that I dont have.

here is what it does:

@echo off

start /b /wait modpatcher DefaultGameCore.mod

start /b /wait java -jar XSHAPE.jar 26444500

pause

The file I used called XSHAPE.bat has this in it:

@echo off

java -jar XSHAPE.jar 26444500

pause

So any thoughts too what Im doing wrong?

Edit: repack? thought they made it so that didnt work anymore? hence the unpack and modify the exe so it can use the uncompressed upk's.

sounds like for the most part you are doing things right. I can only offer a few other sugestions and a few things you may have done but just not listed. but I will still lay them out in order anyway.

- copy both the " XComGame.upk " and the " XComGame.uncompressed_size " to another fold out side game folder

- Delete the " XComGame.uncompressed_size " from the game dir

- Decompress the " XComGame.upk " file make sure to use the -lzo if having problems

- use UPKunpack, and add you files to these folders

- use UPKrepack, then copy and past the new file on to the CookedPCConsole Dir and over right old one.

- goback to the main folder in Steam/steamapps/common/Xcom-Enemy-Unkown folder where you put Xshape or you should have it

- open the XSHAPE.xml file in note pad, to make sure that " xcomgame.upk " all lower case is there. delete others that you didnt change just to be safe and save.

- Open XSHAPE.bat and make sure you have the second one you list in there as since you dont use modpatcher you dont need thoughs extra lines.

- if all these steps didnt work try what some reported as working, and edit the XSHAPE.bat again and change " java -jar XSHAPE.jar 26444500 " to " java -jar XSHAPE.jar 0 " some say that worked for them

- every time you change the exe file, unless you messed with the host file. I get my firewall to deny the exe from calling home, but every time I change that exe I have to load game, jump back out then set the firewall to deny exe again, till the next time I change it.

The main one in all that though is make sure the " XComGame.uncompressed_size " is deleted from that folder I had found just renaming that file and the original and keeping then in that folder cuased problems.

Hope you solve your problem, and hope I pointed out a steam you missed, other wise I am not sure.

Thanks for the tests Miin, I fixed a minor error with the last abilitiy of the tree, for your string these are the changes:

OLD

04 2C 16 06 4A

04 2C 5B 06 4A

04 2C 18 06 4A

04 2C 5D 04 25

NEW

04 2C 5B 06 4A

04 2C 5D 06 4A

04 2C 2B 06 4A

04 2C 36 04 25

I see now another problem with replacing values in the UPK directly, if you go line by line you will overwrite previous changes unwillingly. Yet again I recommend creating tthe function files with the HEX values given by the tool at the end and repacking the UPK.

Edited by rf900

ok been playing around trying to figure out what I do wrong.

I did uncompress XComGame.upk

Then I unpacked that new uncompressed version.

Then I packed that unpacked version without doing any changes what so ever.

Then I used XSHAPE.bat and tried to start the game, it started up no problems. Ok so I know I can make the game work with a uncompressed, unpacked and then repacked version of the XComGame.upk file.

Now for the big test trying to change something in the unpacked version so I went to the folder called XComPerkManager and found the function file called GetPerkInTreeHeavyWeapons.Function

If I understood correctly it should contain the ability tree for the heavy class.

So on to make a small change in that tree. Using your Visual Perk editor to get the new hex values I switched the sides of 2 and 3 and saved. This made a new file called GetPerkInTreeHeavyWeapons.Function.bak appear in the folder structur so I deleted it and then repacked the XComGame.upk used XSHAPE.bat to start up the game and it failed to start.

Any time I try and modify any hex values it crashes my game.

Edited by Miin

Finally!! Found out what messed everything up for me.

XSHAPE didnt work as it should have, had to read through and check everything in that thread and finally found a way to make it work properly ^^

So all my hex edits on my classes worked like a charm. :P

Edited by Miin

Ok new problem :sweat:

I changed GetPerkInTreeHeavyWeapons.Function to what I wanted all worked perfectly.

Tried to change GetPerkInTreeSniper.Function to what I wanted but got something else entirely.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,28,27,29,36,35,23,33,10,48,30,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48

Is what I wanted but got in game this:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,35,23,33,10,48,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48

Same thing happened in assault tree as well didnt really get all I wanted but some of it. Will update this when I have the exact change and what I got in game later.