We're hiring: .NET/C# Developer

Dark0ne

It’s been almost a year (15th November 2011) since we announced the open beta of the Nexus Mod Manager. Since then the software has been installed on over 1.1 million PCs and counting. Back in March we hired on our first full-time programmer to keep NMM updated and improve on the program and now we’re looking for another programmer to join our team and help us push NMM in to a full release candidate.

Applicants need to be experienced in .NET and C#. It will be the duty of the .NET developer to continue improving and expanding the scope of the Nexus Mod Manager while working on fixing bugs and stability issues with the current code alongside DuskDweller, our current resident NMM programmer.

If you are an experienced .NET programmer with at least 3 years of experience and are looking for a job, please head over to the job page for more information. Be sure to send in a CV and previous examples of your work to the email address provided.

You had better start thinking about using another programming language. .Net and C# are Windows-only implementations. The NMM already is reported non-working on Linux, while Skyrim does run flawlessly. Moreover, Steam is being ported to Linux soon. Out of that market, no one will be able to run the NMM, so they'll rely on Steam workshop like the current Linux users do. Eventually, the Nexus will fall out of use since it is outclassed, something I would not like to see.

Another advantage is of course that you could utilise a much better programming language than the crappy re-implementation that is C#. The NMM is currently very unstable, and it's never going to be improved as long as it depends on such terrible languages. Moreover, you could access a much wider pool of much better and more experienced developers, who obviously would never use C# for any reason.

This is meant to be constructive criticism, not hating. I'm sorry if I offended.

@ Sotiris Sk

Orrrrrr you could just recompile NMM for Mono. Scrapping an entire code base and forcing a rewrite just because of language concerns is the height of stupidity.

Moreover, C# and .NET themselves are plenty fine, I've seen the error reports and most of the crashes are because of obvious uncaught exceptions such as network timeouts. This is NMM's fault, not the language.

And what would you suggest, Java?

Your comments are entirely unfounded, wrong and plain ol' hating. You pretend to call it constructive, but you don't actually suggest any realistic solutions.

I tend to agree with Sotiris Sk.

Both C# and Java are horrible languages.

I would suggest rewriting NMM in C++, using Qt as a framework.

This way your not dependent on 1 OS and users don't have to install .NET Runtime or Java Virtual Machine, also you would get more performance. I also suggest using LLVM/Clang++ as compiler, it gives beautiful warnings/errors :D

And Qt doesn't just have GUI classes, it also has networking functionality which surely would come in handy.

You had better start thinking about using another programming language. .Net and C# are Windows-only implementations. The NMM already is reported non-working on Linux, while Skyrim does run flawlessly. Moreover, Steam is being ported to Linux soon. Out of that market, no one will be able to run the NMM, so they'll rely on Steam workshop like the current Linux users do. Eventually, the Nexus will fall out of use since it is outclassed, something I would not like to see.

Another advantage is of course that you could utilise a much better programming language than the crappy re-implementation that is C#. The NMM is currently very unstable, and it's never going to be improved as long as it depends on such terrible languages. Moreover, you could access a much wider pool of much better and more experienced developers, who obviously would never use C# for any reason.

This is meant to be constructive criticism, not hating. I'm sorry if I offended.

Everyone knows Linux and Mac users always add only constructive criticism.

What I do not believe is that Linux users will be stupid enough to rely on Steam Workshop, you may not have noticed but there is a "download manually" button on every download on the nexus.

Furthermore, according to your statement there is a much better and more experienced pool of developers (a statement that may be hard to prove), I am pretty sure some of those clever guys will come up with the ultimate download manager.

Sotiris Sk is correct... Games are not windows only apps anymore. More and more games are coming out on linux and mac.. and the movement of major digital download sources like steam WILL increase that even more, anyone that says it will not is kidding themselves.

There is really no reason to use platform specific programming languages anymore. All it dose is restrict your application and guarantee that it will not be used by many people. A site like this that integrates with software and is designed and developed to work in conjunction with that software is just shooting itself in the foot.

Make the switch now, do yourself a favor and then NMM can be what it is supposed to be .. for everyone and have no limitations and work for all concerned and have true longevity that translates to the site having longevity.

There is really no excuse for platform specific programming now day..

From my uses of FOMM and NMM are great programs, however FOMM has more better options to work with than NMM whereas for NMM it has options the FOMM doesn't so we got to use them both for the mods we like or love. If NMM developers would integrate those options from FOMM into NMM It would make FOMM completely obsolete. Then open NMM up to a Whole other platform for more broader system applications like those who mentioned below, the NMM would sustain a much larger field of programmers and bring in a great deal more volume of players to the site. Make NMM work with both games for FO3 and FONV mod and other games made from the same company so we the users don't have to install them huge mods manually they took from other games and incorporated them in to another.

I'm thinking of becoming a Premium user very soon possibly this coming year. And i hope the NMM has improved way beyond what it is today.

Edited by wiseman1zulu

As much as I'm sure you think you're all right, we know what we're looking for and what we're looking for is in my OP. If we think we need to change programming languages we will. Lets stick to what the OP is actually about and if you want to discuss the pros and cons of various programming languages, feel free to do it in the NMM forum or elsewhere on our forums.

I'm assuming it's not even worth applying if I only have one year of experience in that field.

Boy, it sure is easy to find a job when EVERYONE wants previous experience in the field. How the bloody hell you're supposed to get that experience to begin with, nobody knows.