"Your Vortex installation has been corrupted... Reinstall it."

peytonmc00
Go to solution Solved by AugustaCalidia,

When I start VORTEX, I get this message: Your Vortex installation has been corrupted. This could be the result of a virus or manual manipulation. Vortex might still appear to work (partially) but we suggest you reinstall it.

I have both Fallout 4 and Skyrim SSE mods in Vortex and the two total about 150+ mods. I would like to avoid downloading and re-installing all these mods (and re-establishing their inter-relationships) after I have deleted and then reinstalled VORTEX. Is there any way that VORTEX can be reinstalled without having to start from scratch on both games? Both games are in the middle of enjoyable play throughs and running fine. I could probably continue without ever installing a mod again, but that would take a lot of the fun out of things.

If there is any simple and easy way to do this, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

I never had this problem with NMM, but that's progress for you. Out with the old and in with the new. Snarkey moment over! My sincerest apologies and heartfelt thanks to the hardworking individuals who created Vortex and who continue to support it and share it.

I did my best to read through several hundred other posts on Vortex installations and problems with installations, re-installing after an OS crash etc., but didn't see much of a fit. If I am simply ignorant of an existing post that solves this issue without requiring a degree in Computer Engineering, please point me to it and I will be happy to take this post down

Edited by peytonmc00

• Solution

Two points:

1. When you uninstall Vortex, you install nothing but Vortex, unless you've made the egregious mistake of placing your downloads folder and/or mod staging folder in the Vortex program folder itself.

2. However, you don't actually even need to uninstall your current Vortex installation. Simply install over it.

Dear AugustaCalidia,

Thank you for the speedy reply and for ignoring my snarkey remarks. I am very grateful.

Vortex is installed in C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex. I pretty much went with the defaults on my installation. I believe the downloads folder is: C:\Users\DP\AppData\Roaming\Vortex ??? I'm not sure where it is, but it doesn't seem to be in the folder with the executable. I didn't think to look for hidden files. Surely, there would be no reason to hide it?

Simply install over it? I don't remember doing anything specific when I installed Vortex. I rather assumed that another install would replace the existing information with a blank slate. Well, that's what backups are for. I should be able to download Vortex and install it again.

Thanking you most sincerely,

peytonmc00

the fattest and oldest person playing SSE

libertate aequalitatem fraternitatis

Dear HadtoRegister,

Yes, I have windows defender running. Thank you for the tip. Pure serendipity: I discovered I was also out of date on Vortex. When I downloaded the latest version, Vortex automatically identified the new version was available and had a one button solution to shut itself down and automatically re-install. I take back all those many, many, nasty and ugly remarks I have made about Vortex, ever since I was forced to migrate from NMM. The re-install was painless and seems to have solved my issues (at least I'm not getting a refusal to start). I now have a message about an issue of scripting and hdt-smp, but that's after Vortex has successfully started and very likely a totally different forum group.

My thanks to you and, again, to AugustaCalidia for your timely and very welcome help to a clueless old curmudgeon.

Let "up the Zambezi" be your motto in life,

peytonmc00

the fattest and oldest person playing SSE

libertate aequalitatem fraternitatis

Edited by peytonmc00

Dear HadtoRegister,

I take back all those many, many, nasty and ugly remarks I have made about Vortex, ever since I was forced to migrate from NMM.

Let me clarify this misconception everybody seems to have.

You weren't "forced" to do anything.

When you click on the "Download Vortex" or "Install Vortex" or the "Learn More" button on the website, everybody is free to scroll down to the bottom of the page, and download the newest version of NMM from Github, as shown here.

NMM-Vortex.jpg

Dear HadtoRegister,

There's a Git Hub release of NMM? I am a very ignorant old man and was not aware of it. Had I known, I would probably still be using it. Something about old dogs and new tricks comes to mind. How does one respond to the message that something (FNIS SE) has changed files outside of Vortex so revert or save??? The words are all in English, but make no sense to me. I usually pick one at random and then re-run FNIS. That's a situation I didn't run into with NMM. It's a problem of my ignorance, not the program. I no longer remember exactly why I felt compelled to move to Vortex, but I seem to remember my NMM no longer working as it had been. The only alternative seemed to be migrating to Vortex.

Your correction is duly noted and I apologize, in dust and ashes, for promulgating my ignorant opinions.

peytonmc00