Reusing Voice Files

doticu

I would like to reuse some voice files from the vanilla game in my mod, but I've found that the only way to reuse them is to outright copy them for each Response that my Topic Info has. Now for personal use this is fine, but redistributing vanilla game assets for a public mod does not seem like such a good idea to me.

Is there anyway that I can reuse the same exact sound files without having to redistribute them? Is there anything I can do within or without the Creation Kit to get this to work?

Things that I've tried already that don't work:

• using soft links to files stored in the bsa, as if they were extracted into the Data folder (doesn't link in game)
  • making a SharedInfo (putting the infos in there and linking to them makes it expect a different file on disk for the voice)

I'm really not sure what else I can do. I've looked in SSEEdit and I couldn't find anything in the .esp that links to a file on disk. If I can change this in SSEEdit, this would fix my problem. I would love to have some help, so any thoughts are welcome!

Edited by doticu

Some things are possible in SSEEdit that can't be doen in the CK.

In the CK, set your topic to use a shared INFO (any will do, it doesn't have to be appropriate) then save that and edit it in SSEEdit to change the DNAM field of the INFO record to the FormId of the INFO you want to use. The point is, it doesn't have to be a "Shared INFO".

In the CK, set your topic to use a shared INFO (any will do, it doesn't have to be appropriate) then save that and edit it in SSEEdit to change the DNAM field of the INFO record to the FormId of the INFO you want to use. The point is, it doesn't have to be a "Shared INFO".

That sounds pretty interesting, I will give it a try! Thank you for the tip.

Thank you again for this tip! It works splendidly and solves my problem. I'm very glad you're here OMB. :-)

• 9 months later...

This worked for me as well. I had though of making the original asset into a Shared-Info, but since I was creating it, the Creation Kit baked into the path of the sound file both the plugin file's name, as well as the FormID of the new info. I tried looking in SSEedit, but the path was not exposed as a node; it seems it is dynamically inferred from the plugin's file name and the shared-info's FormID. This posed a problem because I would have to extract and place the sound-file in the location the game would infer from the plugin, and distribution of the mod would also distribute the original sound-file, which is likely afoul of Bethesda's copyright and the Nexus File Upload policy.

This occult magic of using the CK to declare it as Shared-Info, then SSEedit to change where the record pointed to, allowed me re-using the sound-file and associated info in a different context. Just make a note of the desired info's FormID, because it won't show up by auto-complete in SSEedit as it is not a Shared-info; once the FormID is specified, the preview text will load up correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. I've got a case when it does not work

new dialogue option with Sven

Skyrim classic, DNAM = 98e4e -- does not work (no dialogue option appears at all)
Skyrim SE, DNAM = bccc6 -- works
Skyrim classic, DNAM = bccc6 -- works

maybe it has to match the type of the dialogue to work ? 98e4e is from a scene

UPDATE: yeah most likely one cannot reuse scene lines in conversations without copying voice files. By overriding Topic I got the response reused, only silent; no luck with changing the topic itself to a non-scene branch. Besides, presumably all such attempts would also make the line not played out in the original scene.

BTW copying voice files (and even splicing multiple lines into new ones) is a common modding practice, but it makes more work for translators of the mod, compared to pointing to a vanilla line via DNAM field; especially that the translators may not realize it is a copied line and invent their own translation.

• 4 weeks later...