All mods removed/reset upon loading saves

0Anesthetic4u

As the title says. All my mods are either removed or reset upon loading any new saves I made after a point.

I can load old saves and have them all work, but if I save new files from those old saves, when I reload, they are gone.

It also starts telling me about all the "New" quest mods I have when I load. All the quests I can start the first step on.

This is also not a One Time thing. I load a save, it gets reset, I spawn some new versions of my old Items and put them on, I reload, and everything is reset again.

I think it may have something to do with the new Vortex Update.

Anyone know what's going on? Help.

Edited by 0Anesthetic4u

Heya 0Anesthetic4u! Hmmm. This is something that I've never heard of before. And, I wasn't able to find anything about it on the 'net. :confused:

I can take a few guesses, as to what's going on, but I will be completely honest.... I don't know for sure. Like I said, I haven't seen this before, and wasn't able to find anything out about it.

You've got something completely new to me going on.

My very first thought, is that something about your savegames is screwed. It's not allowing the scripted events to be recorded into the save(s). Now, whether that's an actual problem with the saves themselves, a mod's script that is making that happen, or a problem with your game, that needs to be fixed, I don't know.

Tho my first recommendation would be to have steam verify the integrity of your files, to make sure that your game .exe file isn't damaged.

The very first rule of tech support, is to ask "What's changed, since this started?"

So, have you installed anything new? Have you uninstalled anything? (These two questions, I'm meaning the game, and just your computer in general) Has your computer crashed, or updated? Have you made changes with your load order?

Are your active mods that require tools that have been updated, updated to match the tools? Like for example looks menu and F4se.

Does this happen on completely new saves? IE- Brand new characters, after leaving the vault? Does this happen if you run a new character without any mods, and the vanilla quests won't save into the save?

If your brand new saves still persist to have the problem, even with no mods active - try this : Cut and paste all of your existing saves to a different folder. Get them out of the vanilla save game folder. (You can copy and paste them back in, later). Try a new save, and see if the problem still occurs. I say move them, because in some rare instances, save game bleed over can occur.

Are you running a lot of Creation Club, or a lot of ESL files in your game?

Not gonna lie. Depending on what some of the answers might be we might have to take a look at your load order, to see if there's anything I might recognize as a problem child. So, be prepared for that.

Also not gonna lie. In worst case scenario, you May need to reinstall your game. So start preparing for that too.

I say this with hesitance. Because, as I said, I'm not sure what the problem is, that's causing this. And you're probly NOT gonna like this. BUT... as a rule of thumb, continuing to try to save to those games, is a bad idea. If those saves aren't borked up, and causing the problem, continuing to try to save games to them, highly probable make the issue permanent in those saves. Or, make it worse.

We'll try to figure this out, and get ya straightened out. But yeah, it might be some work, and it might be a lot of trial and error. I'm sorry, I wish I had a straight up answer for what's causing it, but I don't.

Thanks for the response.

So I Had Steam Verify my install, and I was missing some 350 megabyte file.

UNFORTUNATELY... Fixing that, DESTROYED EVERYTHING.

My old saves, no longer are safe from being reset, so when I enter them they are now reset as well. New saves still reset on loading, and now Fallout 4 launches in only part of my screen...(Edit the screen thing was fixed by resetting my computer.)

Ho man. What in the hell happened? What was that missing file?

Speaking of the new things I've installed, beyond that missing file that Broke Everything.

The updated version of Vortex.

And a few mods... Boy I wish Vortex had a Search or Sort by install date function.

Nothing too intense, mostly just some new gun mods.

A character without mods wouldn't have any deleterious effects because it is just the mods that are being reset.

Interestingly enough all my characters appear with shaved heads if they had non-base game hair, and their clothes will be gone, if they were wearing non-base game clothing or armor, but Vanilla clothing changed to be bodyslide clothing is left untouched, and they still have the correct body slide proportions designated to each outfit.

Also the hair can just be re-applied.

Edited by 0Anesthetic4u

Thanks for the response.

My old saves, no longer are safe from being reset, so when I enter them they are now reset as well. New saves still reset on loading, and now Fallout 4 launches in only part of my screen...(Edit the screen thing was fixed by resetting my computer.)

Speaking of the new things I've installed, beyond that missing file that Broke Everything.

And a few mods... Boy I wish Vortex had a Search or Sort by install date function.

A character without mods wouldn't have any deleterious effects because it is just the mods that are being reset.

Interestingly enough all my characters appear with shaved heads if they had non-base game hair, and their clothes will be gone, if they were wearing non-base game clothing or armor, but Vanilla clothing changed to be bodyslide clothing is left untouched, and they still have the correct body slide proportions designated to each outfit.

O M G!! :ohmy:

Ah man. I was thinking that, as worst case scenario, you might have to reinstall the game. But.... not like this. This is tragic. I know that doesn't sum up how you've gotta feel, and I'm sorry for that. I mean, we should have had options to explore, before having to use the last resort.

So, now, not only do we have to worry about steam updating the game without us knowing it, we have to worry about it ruining the existing games too? This is really getting to be too much!

I know of 3 of the 4 files that are replaced by the November update. I am so sorry, but I don't know what the 4th file is that got modified by the secondary update that came after. :sad:

Tho, by looking in your fallout4/data folder, looking for fallout4 files in there, that match up to the file size, would be a really good lead.

What version number was your game, before you did the integrity check? I should have asked you that, before I mentioned it..... but I kinda went under the assumption that everybody had gotten the update forced on them.

So, for your mods. There's good news, and there's bad news. The good news, is that the nexus keeps records for us, of the mods that we download, in the order that we download them.

Here's a screenshot of where to click, in order to get to that list.

xwXPXa9X_t.jpg So that at least, will help in getting your load order back together. Be are tho, that you've got a new version number for your game, so make sure that if the mod has been updated, to get the latest release.

Now the bad news. In the first November update, bugsthesda changed the way the game reads mod headers. Any mod that is not up to that new standard, either doesn't get read correctly, or the game outright skips it.

What that means, is that any mod made and released, before the new version of the CK, released in the 1st update, is not version compatible.

That's not entirely broken tho. We can run the mods thru the new version of the CK, and have it update them to use the new file headers. It's a big pain in the butt, because so many of our mods are old. I currently do not know what all you have to do in the CK to update them tho. I don't use it.

Now, there "might" be an alternative, using the latest release of Xedit, but again.... I don't know about that, either.

Yeah, like I said in my earlier reply, I was afraid that your savegames were going to get worse. Having those scripts firing, refiring, and refiring again is definitely not a good thing.

Ok. I really wasn't going to mention this, because it's kinda dangerous. But... as it stands right now, it looks like pretty much everything is borked.

First off, make backup copies of your save games. Put the backups somewhere else on your computer.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633 Fallrim tools has an app inside it called Resaver. I have not used this, but have seen it recommended, for extreme cases.

Resaver can clean out the broken scripts in your save game. HOWEVER, read the instructions, watch the video in the video section.

At least, if you make backups first, you can reinstall from them.

I'll also advise this. Get yourself a 64gb USB memory stick, if you don't have another harddrive with enough space on it for this. If we can get this all straightened out, make a backup copy of your game. I keep at least 3, but that's on a 5 terabyte external drive.

Edit- About the hair with the mods, on presets. Well, at least we know that if the mod isn't present for the preset, the preset will still work. At least those aren't completely shot. Yeah, and once you find them in your downloads list, you can replace them easily enough. :wink:

Edited by StormWolf01

Ok. So New Data. Fallrim Tools can't open my save files to clean them(PS I don't know why I didn't think to try Resaver before I do already have it.)

When I try loading any Save File I get this error:

a425d8a1-1721-4ff7-b4d1-31414869aa28-ori

Really photobucket? Your going to be a dick like that.

OK so the Error Reads:

Error while reading file "save35_00000000M416V6578973_Commonwealth_012203_201912169356_23_2.fos". Invalid plugin indesx: 6

EDIT: Progress, and Also not so much!

So by loading an old enough save that I had not tried to load in game since the breackage, into Resaver(I think the saves that I loaded while in the breaking mods phase, were some how corrupted in some way by loading, thus causing it to fail to import into resaver) I was able to create a new cleaner save in Resaver.

However this new save is just the old buisness. It loads just fine on it's own but any new saves made from it are mod Reset.

Edited by 0Anesthetic4u

Geeze, it's just gonna be one thing after another, after these updates, isn't it?

BTW - just friendly advice... I might edit out the male body part of your post if I was you. There's "some" types that really get triggered by that particular word, and what it refers to. and I don't wanna see you get a report against you, on top of everything else that you're having to go thru right now.

That, and technically.... even tho we all actually do it, you actually Can get called out for the cussing/swearing. Like I said, just don't wanna see something else get stacked onto your plate of troubles right now. ;)

PS- I use imagebox for my pics to post on here. https://imgbox.com/ it works out pretty nice. Don't even have to sign up for a free account if you don't want to.

Ok, so even with it not being able to read your save file (Which royally sucks!!) We do at least know that you've got, or had, (at least) 6 esp/esm/esl (mod) files, that have problems.

Invalid plugin indesx: 6

It does also verify that you've got some saves that are Fubar. :(

My first suspect would be Creation Club Crap mods. If no CC stuff, then my next suspect would be any ESL mods.

If you don't have those, my next suspect would be mods like some of the guns on here, that have scripts that fire at the start of the game., and/or when you reach a certain level. Like the RU556, Heckler und Koch Mp5, just to list the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. Or mods like Amazing Follower Tweaks, or Cheat Terminal which fire up at the very game start, or right after leaving the vault.

Now granted... all of those mods work fine on my game. I'm not saying they're bad. I just dunno how well they play with the new updates from thugthesda.

IF you've got a backup of your game, and you did a revert to a previous older version, to prior to the November version then you'll need this, in order to get newer mods to work. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497

Ok, so at least we know, that you've got some saves that aren't problematic. Definitely back those up.

My thoughts are that there's 2 problems. Older mods that arent working with the new game updates, and aren't triggering correctly. Their scripts are causing the issue with the reload every time you start one of those saves. THAT same problem, is also causing a corruption of those saves, because of the scripts.

As for fixing it, gonna have to locate which mods you're using that are causing the problem. See what I mentioned above. Then either update those mods, or not use them.

Have you tried using an all new character, without any mods, til you get to concord? If so, does the saves from that toon also have the same problems?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the response.

O M G!! :ohmy:

Ah man. I was thinking that, as worst case scenario, you might have to reinstall the game. But.... not like this. This is tragic. I know that doesn't sum up how you've gotta feel, and I'm sorry for that. I mean, we should have had options to explore, before having to use the last resort.

So, now, not only do we have to worry about steam updating the game without us knowing it, we have to worry about it ruining the existing games too? This is really getting to be too much!

I know of 3 of the 4 files that are replaced by the November update. I am so sorry, but I don't know what the 4th file is that got modified by the secondary update that came after. :sad:

Tho, by looking in your fallout4/data folder, looking for fallout4 files in there, that match up to the file size, would be a really good lead.

What version number was your game, before you did the integrity check? I should have asked you that, before I mentioned it..... but I kinda went under the assumption that everybody had gotten the update forced on them.

So, for your mods. There's good news, and there's bad news. The good news, is that the nexus keeps records for us, of the mods that we download, in the order that we download them.

Here's a screenshot of where to click, in order to get to that list.

xwXPXa9X_t.jpg So that at least, will help in getting your load order back together. Be are tho, that you've got a new version number for your game, so make sure that if the mod has been updated, to get the latest release.

Now the bad news. In the first November update, bugsthesda changed the way the game reads mod headers. Any mod that is not up to that new standard, either doesn't get read correctly, or the game outright skips it.

What that means, is that any mod made and released, before the new version of the CK, released in the 1st update, is not version compatible.

That's not entirely broken tho. We can run the mods thru the new version of the CK, and have it update them to use the new file headers. It's a big pain in the butt, because so many of our mods are old. I currently do not know what all you have to do in the CK to update them tho. I don't use it.

Now, there "might" be an alternative, using the latest release of Xedit, but again.... I don't know about that, either.

Yeah, like I said in my earlier reply, I was afraid that your savegames were going to get worse. Having those scripts firing, refiring, and refiring again is definitely not a good thing.

Ok. I really wasn't going to mention this, because it's kinda dangerous. But... as it stands right now, it looks like pretty much everything is borked.

First off, make backup copies of your save games. Put the backups somewhere else on your computer.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633 Fallrim tools has an app inside it called Resaver. I have not used this, but have seen it recommended, for extreme cases.

Resaver can clean out the broken scripts in your save game. HOWEVER, read the instructions, watch the video in the video section.

At least, if you make backups first, you can reinstall from them.

I'll also advise this. Get yourself a 64gb USB memory stick, if you don't have another harddrive with enough space on it for this. If we can get this all straightened out, make a backup copy of your game. I keep at least 3, but that's on a 5 terabyte external drive.

Edit- About the hair with the mods, on presets. Well, at least we know that if the mod isn't present for the preset, the preset will still work. At least those aren't completely shot. Yeah, and once you find them in your downloads list, you can replace them easily enough. :wink:

Have you checked how many plugins you have in your load order? I ask because I experienced exactly the same issue in Skyrim SE and it was because I was two plugins over the 255 limit.

So I'm having the same problem

I am Mod Heavy

But i also play on my Laptop with the same mods

after update in Dec. I stared having this problem (Was on my laptop so thought the problem Was With it. But When I Got home and had to update Some Mods.... to Play.... same thing On my Desktop...)

Had 267 Mods

got down to 255

Problem Solved

Edited by oopsway007

Hi.
just want to add, i thought am the only only, but seems theres quite a few ppl actually, more recently from yesterday on, where some mods did not load correctly (or some update happened within either vortex or fallout4) , and some ppl have lost entire saves..including me..i was level 90, new play trough started, downloaded "Scrap Everything" mod (mod didnt work at all in game-ha) and next time ive continued last save, everything got reset..some quests got back to square one, i lost all my clothes, inventory, weapons..tried validating via Steam, 2 files were missing, but minor in size (not that it matters). tried to remove fallout4.ini from My Docs and let game create new one, didnt fix it..i guess will have to wait few days till ppl actually realize something is up, and find a solution..this would be my 3rd play trough in 3 months or so, and never really got to "end game"..its really frustrating loosing this much progress, fiddling around with clothing, building (whatever makes u happy) and then loosing progress like this, before completing main story.
it came to the point that am really more playing around with mods and making sure theyre compatible (300 of them in total, but some are just patches for other compatibility) with each other, than playing actual game.