Welcome to the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries forums

Site Bot

I'm going to ask what may seem to some to be a real stupid question.

Is there a way to remap the twist (I think it's the z axis) on a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro Joystick in the game.

The reason that I ask is that I would like that to become the actual torso twist and when I steer the stick right or left I would like the mech to actually go that way, instead of the torso twisting . I personally think those would feel more natural than have to twist the stick to turn directions

I used a Microsoft Sidewinder Stick, that I sadly don't have anymore, for the old MechWarrior games and when I twisted the stick the torso twisted and when I went left or right the mech responded as such.

Again apologies if it seems dumb, but I think piloting and yes even aiming would be more fluid this way, but I'm a wits end trying to figure it out (51 year olds sometimes are not the most tech savvy) and I'm actually going to shelve the game over this, which is sad I've loved this whole "universe" since the 1st time I played the board game back in '84 (but stayed away from MWO, because I'm not into MMO's.)

Anyway thanks in advance for any and all help, and please don't make to much fun of an old guy asking a dumb question :cool:

Edited by mongo101

This game came outa nowhere for me, I had no idea it was even a thing. I remember watching a video about a potential new game years ago, but that's it.

This game feels more like Mech Assault from the XBOX more than it does a successor to MechWarrior 4. That's not really a bad thing, I enjoyed Mech Assault more than the MW series. But I've seen a lot of complaints that the game is too fast-paced to be done accurately with a joystick, and I have to agree. I didn't even bother hooking up the HOTAS and pedals I have, after attempting to play it with a joystick and having a Locust run circles around me, I decided to stick to the keyboard and mouse and had a much better time of it. Also playing in 1st person mode is crap, 3rd lets you see SO much more of what's going on.

The single biggest issue I have with this game is the lack of a unique 'mech lineup. It's like all they did is port over some models from MWO and call it a day. There are dozens of other, more iconic 'mechs they could've used, but instead we just get a bunch of boring humanoid looking ones. Yes, I realize the Clan Wars haven't started in this game, so that drops a lot of the cooler 'mechs. But after playing MWO, Battltech, and now MW5, I'm tired of playing with the same handful of 'mechs when I KNOW there are a plethora of them.

I also don't like how pilots are done in this. They basically force you to continually hire and fire them, rather than holding onto a veteran roster, because you are constantly finding pilots with higher skill caps. That's super annoying. I eventually found a Cheat Engine script that will let you set all of your pilot's skill caps to 10, because I like the ones I have now and don't want to have to constantly look for others.

Missions start to feel repetitive. I mean, they ARE, but I feel something could've been done to make them not feel that way. And they're all over so fast! I got used to Battletech where one mission could take you 30+ minutes. I've completed some of the missions in MW5 in less than 5.

Traveling. I like that they only go through the full travel animations once, and they don't make you watch the entire trip, it just kinda zooms you there. However I hate that the contracts list is per planet. In Battletech you could select a contract on one planet that happens on another, and just fly there. It just feels like an annoyance, if just a minor one, to have to relocate looking for contracts. It's beyond the year 3000 FFS, you can't tell me that information can't be transmitted over long distances.

Loadouts. I am getting so tired of restrictive loadouts. I would prefer that we got ONE Atlas, or ONE Black Knight, etc, and had the option to kit them out how we want, instead of 50 variants of the same 'mech but with severe restrictions on what you can put on it. I mean, the internals of a 'mech don't really change all that much (at least as far as this game is concerned), just the hard points. So what if it lets people make non table-top canon builds? Leave that crap to the online community, I'm playing a single-player campaign and I want build freedom, dammit! I had to mod this in Battletech, make it so all relevant slots can hold anything. Made for a much more enjoyable game. You're still limited by slot sizes and tonnage.

Anyway, that's my 2c. I'd give it a 7/10, and will bump that to an 8 or 9 depending on what 'mechs they give us in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Traveling. I like that they only go through the full travel animations once, and they don't make you watch the entire trip, it just kinda zooms you there. However I hate that the contracts list is per planet. In Battletech you could select a contract on one planet that happens on another, and just fly there. It just feels like an annoyance, if just a minor one, to have to relocate looking for contracts. It's beyond the year 3000 FFS, you can't tell me that information can't be transmitted over long distances.

Traveling is one of the MOST idiotic parts of this game. Holy crap... I just had to spend 200K in "space bucks" to find out that all of the contracts in an area were like level 33. I'm currently handling fights at levels 10-13. This is ridiculous. Then I have to load the game and try again. Like you said, I'm pretty sure that in the year 3300, if we knew the planets existed, we'd probably be able to figure out how much the contract was for. Same with what you said about the mech variants. I have been dying for a new Mechwarrior game for about 15 years now, and MW Online was a disappointment, so I eagerly awaited this one. I get it and discover that most of the complaints were at least semi-valid. The in-ship graphics are horrible(Why even make me run back and forth to talk to someone on the bridge anyway?), the co-op mode is a ridiculous joke, too. Not only do you have to just sit there with your thumb inserted wherever you insert it when you're bored while the host chooses and configures your mech, you don't get a penny for completing the mission. THere's no reason to even play it. Where in ANY real world would you be expected to enter a war for zero compensation? At the very least, you should get a percentage, but you should also be able to pick out of the other player's mechs and load it out how you are comfortable. I'm still going to play the game, but I hope some of the modders make fixes for these things, because they are what's ruining the overall enjoyment. Also, I have to agree with the poster upthread about the enemies spawning out of thin air,. and the absolute rubbish radar. Oh, and no full sized map, so if you are having trouble navigating canyons to get to your destination, you're SOL, because the tech apparently doesn't exist to give you an actual map to see where you need to go.

They had the potential for a great game here, and a lot of time to make it, but at best it's mediocre. If THIS had been the Mechwarrior game we had been presented with as our first taste, there never would have been a #2, let alone 5. I mean, sure if it looked this good back then, that would be one thing, but if it were issued today as a contender, it would die a quick death. I hope there are some mods and patches that make me take back this post, I really do.

Edited by MikeyW1969

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I got excited about a game, I remember way back when my first "Mech" game was FROM SOFTWARE ARMORED CORE for the OG Playstation and I was hooked then I got into building PCs so the first game I bought was Heavy Gears 2 which had an overly complicated keyboard control layout that I had to spend a lot of time getting used to at the end i had to print out my key stroke list and tape it on the bottom of my CRT display .... fun times indeed!

• 1 year later...

It seems, from having previewed the 11+ pages of 20 mods per page that we have several differing rulesets for MW 5 being used. The two most prominent are MWO and Table Top. Then there are some "what I (as the modder) thought would be cool" rules as well. Is there a possiblilty to get the mods divided as according to which ruleset is being used? For example, I never played MWO. Never will. If I wanted to play World of Tanks or "Capture the Flag with 'Mechs" then I would. I am more of a stories and mercenary building type of guy. I also would like my game to be as close to the Table Top version as possible. So, if I could just filter according to "TT rules" I would be able to find the mods I would most likely use quicker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hello! Somebody thought about mod that improves radar/sensors work? I’ll explain what I mean: is it reasonable in 31st century that 40-80 tonnes tank in 100 meters is invisible to sensors if it is behind couple trees and at the same time it literally can be seen from the cockpit.

And how it can be that radar can not see 10-15 tall mech that is only half hidden behind a wall and is seen.

And the worthies thing is when a radar sees tank (rocket carrier) in 600-800 meters, than suddenly don’t see it and it’s exactly at the moment after you launched bunch of rockets toward it and rockets doesn’t hit it.

I refuse to believe that succession wars cases loss of even 21st century technology of “fire and forget” missiles aiming.

Is there chance to fix such weird sensors work?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Somebody thought about mod that improves radar/sensors work? I’ll explain what I mean: is it reasonable in 31st century that 40-80 tonnes tank in 100 meters is invisible to sensors if it is behind couple trees and at the same time it literally can be seen from the cockpit.
And how it can be that radar can not see 10-15 tall mech that is only half hidden behind a wall and is seen.
And the worthies thing is when a radar sees tank (rocket carrier) in 600-800 meters, than suddenly don’t see it and it’s exactly at the moment after you launched bunch of rockets toward it and rockets doesn’t hit it.
I refuse to believe that succession wars cases loss of even 21st century technology of “fire and forget” missiles aiming.

Ok, I found it at steam lab/shared files - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2548203245&searchtext=

I have another issue now - since the very beggining I was glad that when I shoot SRM or cannon - I don't need to make aiming adjustment to take into account the movement of enemy mech - I mean if it's moves, I aim at the torso, and shooting SRM/cannon it shoots a little bit forward, not at the exact point where the aim is (as at MW 3 and MW4 series).

Since I anstalled mods - this feature gone. Is there a chance to fix it?

Edited by Oldfox22003

Ok, I found it at steam lab/shared files - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2548203245&searchtext=

I have another issue now - since the very beggining I was glad that when I shoot SRM or cannon - I don't need to make aiming adjustment to take into account the movement of enemy mech - I mean if it's moves, I aim at the torso, and shooting SRM/cannon it shoots a little bit forward, not at the exact point where the aim is (as at MW 3 and MW4 series).

Since I anstalled mods - this feature gone. Is there a chance to fix it?

Ok, I also found it - it's standart options setting - https://steamcommunity.com/app/784080/discussions/0/5805689546859326242/

Edited by Oldfox22003

• 1 month later...