Campaign Leapfrogging

AurianaValoria1

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to leapfrog forward through a campaign without actually playing through it?

For example, I'd like to fast forward to the end of MotB to test a mod, but I didn't keep my old saves. I really don't want to have to play through the whole campaign again just to get some test screenshots.

I think in most cases, the answer is yes, even for quests. Any time an area is inaccessible before reaching a certain point in the plot, that means that if you teleport there directly, there aren't going to be any checks or conditionals made on a quest to make sure you're in the right part of the plot before allowing something to happen. But if you're testing out a particular conversation, then those do check for certain quest stages or variables that should be set.

If you're just talking about visiting an area, then the answer is a definite yes. You can teleport to any area by summoning the DM NPC through the console, and telling him where you want to go. Type "rs gr_dm" in the console to summon him. You'll need to find out the tag of the area or waypoint you want to teleport to beforehand, so you can tell him.

You're welcome. It might not be immediately intuitive how you're supposed to tell the DM where you want to go, so I'll just explain that you actually do "tell" him, using the chat field. In the dialogue, he'll say "type the tag", and that's your cue to hit Enter to start chatting, and type your tag, then hit enter again, and the DM will acknowledge that he heard you. Then click in the dialogue again to confirm the tag.