Missing 3rd person animations

kanami24

Hey forums, it's me -- your neighborhood bug finder.... i think that's the proper title for me.

Anyways, umm.... so, when I'm in third person, with a melee, I hold the melee weapon as if i'm holding a rifle. I cannot attack or deal damage in third person. However, in first person, melee works fine. The issue is, I only use first person when it's neccessary -- i.e. using sniper rifles, shooting over cover thats almost as tall as the character in first person -- in various angles, such as from above. However, using rifles and etc. in third person works just fine -- its only melee.

As of right now, I am in the process of exporting settlements that I've made changes to or added to ( I had a plethora of decoration ideas to make my settlements look less empty and more "occupied".)

With that being said, I don't know if deleting all saves and starting a new game OR starting a new game and keeping all previous saves will fix this. Considering that this issue is currently present on both of my characters, its pretty safe to say that it will infect a new game as well. BUT! if there is a fix for this without deleting saves, I'm all for trying it out.

Heya Kanami! Awww, another one, eh? :(

Well, unless you've unpacked Fallout4 - Animations.ba2 I very much doubt that the vanilla animations have been deleted. Quite possible that the file within the archive is damaged. However, if you're also saying that you can't inflict any damge from 3rd person melee, I'd suspect a different source of the problem.

Alright my friend, you know the drill. Have you installed anything that affects melee weapons since this started? Or any new weapons, since this started? UNinstalled anything that affects them? Added or removed any kind of animations as a whole? If that doesn't turn up any answers, we may have to check your load order.

there's only three mods I suspect atm. there's girly animations, which I stopped using when I found 2 handed melee idle. Then I found the tactical animations mod.

So, normally I would use 2 handed melee idle with the tactical animations mod -- at the moment all 3 are disabled, well 2 -- I deleted the girly animations mod, wasn't quite my flavor. However, as I'm typing this -- I just noticed I didn't have the unofficial f4 patch updated, so I've updated it and about to see if this fixes the issue (luckily all I did was move my saves to a different location and start a new game to see if it was something I've encountered in a previous save.)

still no actual fix for this issue. But i'm not super worried about it, i can still use melee in first person.

Quick recap -- in third person, melee weapons are held like rifles and cannot deal damage.... I tried a bunch of drastic things yesterday but no fix.

It depends on how the mod is set up, as to whether or not you can just "disable" them, and make the animations work right.

If the mod is set up with an esp file, that points the applicable weapons to use a non-vanilla named animation, then yeah... just disabling the esp would work. IE- The author renamed the anims to something different.

But, if the mod has installed a folder, or bsa archive file, with the new animations named the same as the vanilla animations, they can still continue to over-ride the vanilla ones. If that's the case, you'd have to remove the animation files from the mod, from your data folder.

For the girly animations mods, here's a breakdown of the files that are in the melee weapon mod. (I hope this pastes correctly!)

Meshes
Actors
Character
Animations
1HM
Female
AttackBackwardA.hkx (13.3 kB)
AttackBackwardB.hkx (12.3 kB)
AttackForwardA.hkx (12.9 kB)
AttackForwardB.hkx (13.8 kB)
AttackForwardPower.hkx (14.8 kB)
AttackStandingA.hkx (13.4 kB)
AttackStandingB.hkx (12.4 kB)
AttackStandingPower.hkx (14.8 kB)

YAY! It did! So there is where you would look for the files from that. If that's not the part of mod you downloaded, you'll need to reference the files portion of the mod page to see what files are in the part of it that you installed https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21914?tab=files
2 handed melee might be a high suspect, there's no esp, so it's all replacer anims. But, I don't see that it replaces the swing, or attack or anything, so I'm thinking it would only affect if there's an incompatibilty tween it and something else.

Meshes
Actors
Character
Animations
2HMWide
Idle.hkx (93.3 kB)
IdleAlt_01.hkx (93.3 kB)
IdleAlt_03.hkx (93.3 kB)
ReadyToRelaxed.hkx (93.3 kB

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37324?tab=files

that one is also a replacer of the vanilla ones. too. with no esp.
Is it particular melee weapons that this does this to? Like, two handed only, one handed only, knives, swords, bats, any of them in particular, or all of the above?
I'm wondering, if it's specific weapons, we could look the weapon up in xedit, and see which animation it uses, so that we could find the one at fault.

Edit- GRRRRR!!! For some reason my spoiler tags are botched up. I've checked them 3 times, and I cannot figure out why they're not working right. Sorry!

Is it particular melee weapons that this does this to? Like, two handed only, one handed only, knives, swords, bats, any of them in particular, or all of the above?
I'm wondering, if it's specific weapons, we could look the weapon up in xedit, and see which animation it uses, so that we could find the one at fault.
Edit 2- Ok, the editor is on crack right now, and NOT using my tags the way they're supposed to. Sorry that this is a mess with the italics and spoilers.
Edited by StormWolf01

It depends on how the mod is set up, as to whether or not you can just "disable" them, and make the animations work right.

If the mod is set up with an esp file, that points the applicable weapons to use a non-vanilla named animation, then yeah... just disabling the esp would work. IE- The author renamed the anims to something different.

But, if the mod has installed a folder, or bsa archive file, with the new animations named the same as the vanilla animations, they can still continue to over-ride the vanilla ones. If that's the case, you'd have to remove the animation files from the mod, from your data folder.

For the girly animations mods, here's a breakdown of the files that are in the melee weapon mod. (I hope this pastes correctly!)

Meshes
Actors
Character
Animations
1HM
Female
AttackBackwardA.hkx (13.3 kB)
AttackBackwardB.hkx (12.3 kB)
AttackForwardA.hkx (12.9 kB)
AttackForwardB.hkx (13.8 kB)
AttackForwardPower.hkx (14.8 kB)
AttackStandingA.hkx (13.4 kB)
AttackStandingB.hkx (12.4 kB)
AttackStandingPower.hkx (14.8 kB)

YAY! It did! So there is where you would look for the files from that. If that's not the part of mod you downloaded, you'll need to reference the files portion of the mod page to see what files are in the part of it that you installed https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21914?tab=files
2 handed melee might be a high suspect, there's no esp, so it's all replacer anims. But, I don't see that it replaces the swing, or attack or anything, so I'm thinking it would only affect if there's an incompatibilty tween it and something else.

Meshes
Actors
Character
Animations
2HMWide
Idle.hkx (93.3 kB)
IdleAlt_01.hkx (93.3 kB)
IdleAlt_03.hkx (93.3 kB)
ReadyToRelaxed.hkx (93.3 kB

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37324?tab=files

Edit- GRRRRR!!! For some reason my spoiler tags are botched up. I've checked them 3 times, and I cannot figure out why they're not working right. Sorry!

Edit 2- Ok, the editor is on crack right now, and NOT using my tags the way they're supposed to. Sorry that this is a mess with the italics and spoilers.

Yup, its happening on all melee weapons and only to melee -- however, when this started happening -- my weapon zoom level is increased as well on rifles and such. if it helps any with ideas for a fix. Also, I did completely delete those three mods in hopes of the new version of fallout 4 not being able to read them. (I reinstalled the girly anims mod to see maybe it would atleast fix the issue, I thought maybe it replaced the anims and upon removing the mod it just left those anims deleted.) It's starting to get aggravating because I normally use melee in third person. I'm almost entirely in third person to begin with as well.

Heyas Kanami. My first bet, is the girly anims. I can't say for sure, but after watching the vid for the idle anims on their page, they remind me a lot of how I remember the animations from some of the females in the game Tera. * Which to my understanding, has no issues with their content being distributed as long as its not for profit.

But, it's got forward attack animations, and I'm wondering if the port didn't scrub everything, or something ( I know diddly about making anims, other than they're a bunch of poses morphed together into a sequence).

I'd say that most likely, if all the files for all three of them are still in your data folder the two that are replacers, are most likely conflicting. Cut and paste one of them out of your game folder and see if that clears it up. If not, cut n paste the other one out too, and see if it clears up.

Heyas Kanami. My first bet, is the girly anims. I can't say for sure, but after watching the vid for the idle anims on their page, they remind me a lot of how I remember the animations from some of the females in the game Tera. * Which to my understanding, has no issues with their content being distributed as long as its not for profit.

But, it's got forward attack animations, and I'm wondering if the port didn't scrub everything, or something ( I know diddly about making anims, other than they're a bunch of poses morphed together into a sequence).

I'd say that most likely, if all the files for all three of them are still in your data folder the two that are replacers, are most likely conflicting. Cut and paste one of them out of your game folder and see if that clears it up. If not, cut n paste the other one out too, and see if it clears up.

none of them have been present in my data folder since last post. After running fo4edit, my game crashes whenever I try to use melee. Since then, I just simply emptied my inventory of melee weapons and strayed away from melee. I'm considering deleting my ini files to see if this fixes the issue.

Have you tried making a clean save, since removing that stuff? After the clean save, You may have to try a new version of the same weapon, as well, I dunno, kinda guessing.

But like, if you had a bat in your inventory that you were using, selling it, or putting it on a corpse or whatever, and then getting a new one that is running without the mods.

Clean save - Loading the game without the mod, making a manual save. Exit game, load clean save.

-POSSIBLE FIX-

was about to start on my second actual play through, where i plan on working on the brotherhood of steel more (i reaaaallly wanna see what this liberty prime looks like) and I decided to take the time to fix my third person issue.

Previously I said fk it -- i can still use melee in first person. But then it broke further to where I couldn't even use it in first person. After awhile I managed to fix it to where I could use it in first person and decided to play the game.

As I said before, this time around I wanted to take the time and find my issue. In my last playthrough it wasn't until I couldn't use melee in 3rd person -- where I realized just how often I use melee, which is ALOT. And using it in first person isn't desirable for me. After some tinkering, I narrowed it down to a plugin in my load order -- for me it was the C21 saya rifle.

Now, I'm not saying that it is this weapon mod in particular that caused this. If you're a vortex user like me, one of two things may have happened when I installed this mod. It installed incorrectly (granted I used the weapon a fk ton in game and it worked just fine) OR when installing the mod -- there's uhh... a compatibility issue. What I mean is, you have to choose which mod loads before the other -- it normally shows a recommended, in rare cases where you're following the installation instructions you wouldn't select what vortex recommended (i.e. -- before,after, or never together with this weapon mod or that weapon mod.)

In short, I'm lead to believe that it was a compatibility issue with another weapon mod that I previously installed (or well before I installed the c21 when I had first posted this.)

This issue COULD possibly develop from other weapon mods when using vortex -- note, all of this is assumption -- rather said, I expect it to happen with other weapon mods when using vortex, especially because I have LOTS of weapon mods. Most of which I kinda cleaned up cuz I found myself not really using a bunch of em until I want to fk around and do crazy shii -- but still -- had alot of weapon mods.

many thanks to StormWolf01 for helping me with this issue and others.

Have you tried making a clean save, since removing that stuff? After the clean save, You may have to try a new version of the same weapon, as well, I dunno, kinda guessing.

But like, if you had a bat in your inventory that you were using, selling it, or putting it on a corpse or whatever, and then getting a new one that is running without the mods.

Clean save - Loading the game without the mod, making a manual save. Exit game, load clean save.