Going digital

LadyHonor

I got a new pc for Christmas and I'm thinking about going digital with DAO. DVDs eventually wear out. Anyway do I have to get the ultimate version or will my dazips of the official dlcs work with the digital version? Also will my dvd awakening install to the digital? Its Christmas time. I'm broke and want to go as cheap as possible. Lol Edited by LadyHonor

ok disregard this. it won't let me delete. i wound up buying the gog version for the old pc that i'm giving to the grandkids and sticking with my tried and true dvd's for the new pc for now....it's much less of a headache for me. lol

I think it depends on where you acquired them and whether you have the keys registered?

I've been able to simply register CD keys for games I originally purchased on CD to EA's Origin client. Once registered to an Origin account, they can be downloaded and managed through Origin.

I've also purchased some EA content through Steam, and copied the keys from Steam to the Origin client.

I think it depends on where you acquired them and whether you have the keys registered?

I've been able to simply register CD keys for games I originally purchased on CD to EA's Origin client. Once registered to an Origin account, they can be downloaded and managed through Origin.

I've also purchased some EA content through Steam, and copied the keys from Steam to the Origin client.

I have the retail dvds….I'm not sure where I bought them but I'm thinking Walmart...years ago. DAO was originally a Christmas gift for my son, but they (the dlcs and awakening) are all registered legally to me. The only thing I have through Origin is DA2 and I *HATE* it. it's annoying to have to sign into it EVERY stinking time I or a kid wants to play it. It's my biggest turn-off on going digital. But the GOG version I bought doesn't make me do that, so I don't mind it as much.

Pasquale1223 is correct; you should be able to register the retail disc keys on Origin and get the digital version of the game gratis. I'm not sure exactly how DLC worksif it was purchased separately (I had the UE when I switched to digital), but EA support can probably answer that.

You don't need to sign in/run Origins to play the digital version of DAO (or DA2), just to install it... both games will run from an regular ol' shortcut, even with a Origin install. DAI is the only game in the series that requires Origin running to play.

Oh I already bought the gog version of DAO ultimate for the grandbabies. It was only $5. As for da2, how do i set it up I don't have to put a password in every time I play it? I've already made a short cut to the executable but it still brings up that annoying origin login app.

That's... odd, that it asks for a password. It's never done that for me. Only thing I can think is that you may have the Origins overlay enabled for the game... I believe it defaults to that setting.

In the Origin launcher, click the gear icon next to the 'Play' button for the game. If 'Enable Origin In Game for Dragon Age™ II' is ticked, untick it... apart from that, I've never done anything special to my install. *thinky face*

Edited by theskymoves

Omg it worked! Thank you soooooooo much! I HATED that login screen. Lol now about what you said about DAI.....do you have to play it online or just be logged into it?

IME, you can disable the Origin overlay and cloud saves for DAI, but the Origin client will start anytime I start the game. It's annoying, but I don't really blame the studios or publishers for the hoops we must jump through to use the software we've licensed. I blame the (ahem) Isabelas and other thieves of the world, as their activities make life much more difficult for the rest of us.

Speaking of DRM, is the GOG version really truly fully unlocked? I'd consider buying it if I could open the DLC with the DA Toolset...

The reason I hate the overlay so much is because my grandkids like to play it and its annoying having to stop what I'm doing to go put in the password every time they want to play it. As for it being truly unlocked I'm not really sure what you mean. This gog stuff is new to me. It doesn't require logging in to anything to load it, but I havent actually played it other than to make a character.