New Download Changes

solomonoftm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was literally considering giving them some money out of sheer generosity

I'm sure you were right on the checkout page in another browser tab when, wham, the change took place, and you were like "nah, fam, I can't support dis." Please...

believe me or don't, I got nothing to prove to you

In the near future, Premium members will get access to automated modlist downloads. Nexus will be pushing the Premium membership business model pretty hard from now on, I guess.

I'm not really interested in automated mod lists given how often I change up and tweak my installs, not saying others wont find it usefull but once again there's no value there for me, the only thing I get is to remove an annoyance that didn't need to be there in the first place and bring the site back to a level of usability that was free a month ago

I was literally considering giving them some money out of sheer generosity

I'm sure you were right on the checkout page in another browser tab when, wham, the change took place, and you were like "nah, fam, I can't support dis." Please...

believe me or don't, I got nothing to prove to you

In the near future, Premium members will get access to automated modlist downloads. Nexus will be pushing the Premium membership business model pretty hard from now on, I guess.

I'm not really interested in automated mod lists given how often I change up and tweak my installs, not saying others wont find it usefull but once again there's no value there for me, the only thing I get is to remove an annoyance that didn't need to be there in the first place and bring the site back to a level of usability that was free a month ago

It's STILL FREE, even after 14 years.

Whats strange is that you were "Going to sign up for premium™" (which would've gotten rid of the screen), but once you saw the screen, decided to NOT sign up for Premium, guaranteeing that you will now, always see the screen, so you can continuously complain about it.

I guess you showed them.

And actually the price of Lifetime went down to $55 $65 from $75 (My Mistake I converted from Euros instead of Pounds!!!)

Depends on regional pricing I guess, lifetime membership's 50 £ here, which would be 65 $, although I'm neither from the US or UK so who knows. :confused:

While, luckily for us the nexus continues to be free even now, steve40 does have a point about usability I'd argue. Advertising your product through banners is fine, I'm sure many people are annoyed by it, but it doesn't impede usability. However, redirecting a user to another page for every mod they want to download and having them pick "slow download" for every mod does negatively affect the site's usability, especially since it functioned so well before, you clicked on the download button and were presented with the download window.

It's strange to me because the nexus has always been good at intelligently reminding the user to endorse downloaded files, for example, why not use that same system to advertise the premium service?

I don't see the logic behind the page-redirect however, an infrequent user won't bother with premium since they won't make good use of it, and a frequent user who's downloading 50 mods for a new playthrough won't suddenly change their mind if you keep presenting them with the premium ad every 2 minutes if they haven't already bought it before starting the download spree (which would have been the smart choice to do if they wanted to do so in the first place).

It's not hard to see why people consider the new download to be a drop in usability if you look at it that way, you have to jump through more hoops than previously for the same effect. Personally I'd be fine if they integrated the Premium ad into the download window itself, that way you maintain the same usability you had before and you get to advertise your service.

The Nexus definitely deserves our support, but I wonder if there's no better ways to go about it. I know it has a patreon but that's exclusively for "Donation-Points", why not make one to support the site itself? was that idea proposed and rejected?... how about a merch store, I could see myself with a "Mod it till you break it" Nexus Mug :laugh: .

Lastly, an official news article to clear things up would be needed I think. People usually assume the worse when you leave them in the dark, and I know the nexus to be fairly transparent with it's users in important matters, and since this affects the majority of users (some of which the nexus hopes could potentially be future premium members) I'd say it's an important enough topic.

Edited by Hellfog

Depends on regional pricing I guess, lifetime membership's 50 £ here, which would be 65 $, although I'm neither from the US or UK so who knows. :confused:

Derp! You're right! I messed up the conversion, it's 50 POUNDS, and I typed in Euros, when I went to convert, so yea, the price of Premium only went down $10 dollars.

My bad!!

I don't understand why some people have an obsessive need to defend corporations, big or small. Whether it's an international giant like Apple or Google, or a little studio or a web-service, there's always a customer who cannot stand for any criticism against their beloved "friend". In a sense, it's similar to religion and just like a religion, it's completely pointless - a critic is not going to be converted by a blind zealot, nor is the target of white-knighting ever going to reward such behaviour.

This is a terrible change and ridiculous defence isn't going to solve it. I'm lucky that I just got my Skyrim SE modded up the way I wanted before this change happened because no way would I have jumped through this ridiculous combination of hoops to get all the mods that looked interesting. And no, annoying me is not going to get me to give you money. It only makes me want to look for an alternative or to go without. Nexus has for years championed on being the one-stop source for all modding but other platforms do exist. Perhaps ModDB can be the answer.

And I agree with Hellfrog that doing this in secret without any announcement is just the extra middle finger on top.

Guest deleted34304850

can you describe to me what ridiculous combination of hoops you need to jump through? all i see is an extra page that i click. not such a hoop to jump through. do you have extra steps?

You wait 5-seconds for each file you want to download, regardless of their size or whether they are part of the same mod, or not.

You get a nag screen that is a copy of the awful fire sharing sites like Rapidshare or Mediafire.

Once you select the Slow Download, you are taken to the old download page, where you have to wait a bit longer until the download actually begins.

Then finally, to add insult to the injury, clicking to go back to the Files page of the mod you were on refreshed the page instead of bringing you the cached copy, meaning that on mods that have loads of files, you have to start from the top again. This isn't much of a problem if you're just downloading a single file, but some mods have a dozen or two dozens files thanks to compatibility or customization reasons.

While, luckily for us the nexus continues to be free even now, steve40 does have a point about usability I'd argue. Advertising your product through banners is fine, I'm sure many people are annoyed by it, but it doesn't impede usability. However, redirecting a user to another page for every mod they want to download and having them pick "slow download" for every mod does negatively affect the site's usability, especially since it functioned so well before, you clicked on the download button and were presented with the download window.

It's strange to me because the nexus has always been good at intelligently reminding the user to endorse downloaded files, for example, why not use that same system to advertise the premium service?

I don't see the logic behind the page-redirect however, an infrequent user won't bother with premium since they won't make good use of it, and a frequent user who's downloading 50 mods for a new playthrough won't suddenly change their mind if you keep presenting them with the premium ad every 2 minutes if they haven't already bought it before starting the download spree (which would have been the smart choice to do if they wanted to do so in the first place).

It's not hard to see why people consider the new download to be a drop in usability if you look at it that way, you have to jump through more hoops than previously for the same effect. Personally I'd be fine if they integrated the Premium ad into the download window itself, that way you maintain the same usability you had before and you get to advertise your service.

The Nexus definitely deserves our support, but I wonder if there's no better ways to go about it. I know it has a patreon but that's exclusively for "Donation-Points", why not make one to support the site itself? was that idea proposed and rejected?... how about a merch store, I could see myself with a "Mod it till you break it" Nexus Mug :laugh: .

Lastly, an official news article to clear things up would be needed I think. People usually assume the worse when you leave them in the dark, and I know the nexus to be fairly transparent with it's users in important matters, and since this affects the majority of users (some of which the nexus hopes could potentially be future premium members) I'd say it's an important enough topic.

You wait 5-seconds for each file you want to download, regardless of their size or whether they are part of the same mod, or not.

You get a nag screen that is a copy of the awful fire sharing sites like Rapidshare or Mediafire.

Once you select the Slow Download, you are taken to the old download page, where you have to wait a bit longer until the download actually begins.

Then finally, to add insult to the injury, clicking to go back to the Files page of the mod you were on refreshed the page instead of bringing you the cached copy, meaning that on mods that have loads of files, you have to start from the top again. This isn't much of a problem if you're just downloading a single file, but some mods have a dozen or two dozens files thanks to compatibility or customization reasons.

I tend to think that this may be an unintentional side-effect that the site developers hadn't brainstormed/anticipated. If that is the case, I reckon if it was politely brought to Dark0ne's attention, that he would look into tweaking the site so that it is not so user unfriendly in those particular situations. Robin is a very reasonable guy and always pays close attention to our concerns.