[LE] Full Set Armor bonuses

Set items are a pretty cool concept, but Skyrim only has a few.

In fact, as far as I can tell, the base game has just two armor sets with "set bonuses"; The Dark Brotherhood and Nightingale sets both grant a little bonus armor, when wearing all four pieces.
But I don't understand exactly how this works.

In the Creation Kit, I can see the "Dbfullset" spell, and simply enough it checks if the player has 4x Keyword: Darkbrotherhood gear.

And I can recreate this effect, by just putting an enchantment on an item with similar conditions, I could use the Wuuthrad script to add a perk which did the same.

But what I'm trying to understand is how the Dark Brotherhood and Nightingale set bonuses work. They're spells with conditions, but when are the spells added to players? I can't tell, looking at any of the armor pieces, that they should add the spell.
It seems to come out of nowhere and check if the player has the enough set pieces. When is this spell added to the player? What am I missing?

Thanks for reading, and I hope you can elucidate the issue a bit.

(And no, I don't strictly *need* to do it this way, there are several other methods. But I'd still like to understand it)

I think that the Dragonborn Deathbrand armour has a set bonus. Ahzidal's armour has a set bonus that's slightly different and scripted.

The Deathbrand armour is done with keywords and a condition GetEquipped HasKeywordCount == # on the enchantments. # being how many pieces need to be equipped for it to work. If you want, you can set it up to have a steadilly more powerful effect with each item worn, or you could add totally different enchantments for each piece.

To find it and see how it works search for anything under DunHaknir. You should see the armour, magic effects and enchantments. That's the easiest way to do what you want and all without scripts.