How about a new browseable mod category called "ESP/ESM free"?

CaptainKibosh

My apologies in advance if I've misunderstood some modding concepts relating to the 255 plugin limit--while I'm not a newbie, I'm by no means a veteran either. If I've gotten some of the fundamentals about the load limit wrong, please let me know.

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have an additional mod category called "ESP/ESM free" or "ESL only" that would allow modders to browse for mods that wouldn't count against their respective load orders, especially those who are already close to their 255 load limit. The notion occurred to me after reading Pfuscher's recent "2019 Skyrim" texture overhaul description saying the mod was ESP free with textures only, which I assume Pfuscher had written to emphasize the aforementioned mod would not impact a modder's load limit.

I'm already approaching my load limit (even after using a bashed patch), but reading Pfuscher's mod description made me realize that there could be a whole bunch of mods out there that could still be downloaded if there were a means to browse them with greater convenience. I think this would be of great help to those in the modding community who don't necessarily want to mess with converting files or with engaging in intricate bashed patches.

I'm looking to see opinions on this from a spectrum of modders--from the plug 'n' play types to the creation kit/SSEEdit-tinkerer types. Also, I'm not sure how I would bring this to the attention of the Nexus admin if people did think this was a good idea.

Edit: Minor corrections to grammar/spelling.

It is already easy enough to determine if a mod has an ESP, ESM or ESL.

• Go to the Files tab
  • Click "Preview file contents" for the file in question
  • A new window appears that lists all the files and directories as they are packed in the archive file.

Yes, thanks for that tip. I've looked at file previews for other reasons, but yes, it works for that intended purpose as well.

However, that still means modders would have to, one at a time, check out each mod's file to find out if said mod would impact her/his load order plugin limit. It would be nice to be able to aggregate all those ESL only mods into a browsable category from the get-go, the same way a modder might find convenient other aggregated categories, e.g., armor mods, bug fixes, models and textures, quest mods, etc.