⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

OK to add scrap recipe to vanilla static?

Gourmetrix

Modding noob here. I followed Fellout's tutorial on creating scrap recipes for static objects that I want scrapable in a settlement mod I'm making.

He doesn't create a new FormID in the tutorial for the vanilla static object, so I assume the recipe he creates is applicable to every instance of this object across the full game after the mod is installed.

Are there any consequences of doing this? I thought of two possibilities:

1) Instances of the object in other settlements, if not already sealed within the precombine for the cell, will now be scrapable and components returned. (A good thing?)

2) If another modder tries to regenerate precombines in a cell with instances of these objects, the instances will no longer be collected into the new precombine. (Bad? Though only applicable if my mod is loaded in the CK at the same time as theirs?)

Are these legit concerns or am I way off with my thinking?

The reason I'm asking is that I noticed that adding the recipes didn't break the precombines, which means I can publish 2 versions of the settlement: one with all vanilla precombines intact (performance) and one with all precombines broken (cleanliness), but I don't have to maintain 2 branches. I simply delete those 5 records from the main branch in xEdit to obtain the cleanliness version.

Thanks.

1 and 2 are both correct. 2 is not much of a concern because, as you noted, they would have to have your mod loaded in the CK as well for it to prevent something from being precombined. Plus, even if they do that, that object being excluded from precombineds isn't a big deal. It will have minimal performance impact (i.e. unnoticeable assuming you aren't adding a few hundred scrap recipes), and it will just be another scrappable thing people can remove if they don't want it.

Honestly, I would be more concerned about a mod that replaces an object with an identical duplicate just so that it they are not making all versions of that object scrappable.