Files will not download as .dazip or overrides

JuuluJinxed

My only modding experience is with the Sims franchise, so I am a bit of a noob at modding.

So after a bit of research I'm trying to add some mods such as extra cutscene mods, basic cosmetic mods, etc. and all the videos I watch say it's as easy as downloading a .dazip file and installing it with daupdater.

I've gotten mods to work if the mod creator directly has a .dazip download, but many mods I see are not. Example of files I've seen are .msh/.mmh, .cub/.cut

Am I missing something when I'm unzipping the files? Am I missing a step? Why will these mods not download as the correct file type?

Much info I found about this sort of troubleshooting is old or doesn't even pull up anymore (2011 info, sheesh, I am obviously late to the modding party)

There are three kinds of mods for DAO: dazip, manual override, and .override archives. Each has a different method of installation.

Cosmetic mods are not packaged as dazips, they are override mods, so they can't be installed wirh daupdater.

There's a link in my sig (kh mods DAO) to a series of posts I made re modding the game... the first post (the 'basics') discusses the kinds of mods, how they are installed and includes links to other pages with even more advice and information.

And if a video somewhere is telling you that cosmetic mods are installed as dazips, run screaming in the other direction and instead read the installation information provided by the mod creator, in the description or documentation.

There are three kinds of mods for DAO: dazip, manual override, and .override archives. Each has a different method of installation.

Cosmetic mods are not packaged as dazips, they are override mods, so they can't be installed wirh daupdater.

There's a link in my sig (kh mods DAO) to a series of posts I made re modding the game... the first post (the 'basics') discusses the kinds of mods, how they are installed and includes links to other pages with even more advice and information.

And if a video somewhere is telling you that cosmetic mods are installed as dazips, run screaming in the other direction and instead read the installation information provided by the mod creator, in the description or documentation.

I've gotten some mods to work with your advice so thanks for that! I'm afraid I'm still stuck on getting some cosmetics working for the warden. If it's modding companions, I think I got that down. I think perhaps I'm just a little simple minded when it comes to installing new hairs and complexions for warden.

Assuming you mean that you want to use cosmetic mods for the Warden in the in-game Character Creator, I'll refer you to the Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies article mentioned above by Thandal and an article linked from that page, Installing cosmetic Mods for Dragon Age... I'd just be parroting the information from those sources.