Want to edit an esp file but can't figure it out

katelynnlee

There is a follower mod that I really like but unfortunately I cannot stand the war paint texture on the character's face. I have tried using CK and changing the color to ColorAverage to get rid of it, but the tattoo is still there. I further tried TES5Edit but I am way in over my head. Does anyone know how to make this work?

Yes, I thought of this too. However I don't really know how I should do this.The MaleHeadBothiahTattoo_1.dds shows up under the mod in CK but I cannot find it in any general search in CK, TES5Edit, or any folder on my computer. In TES5Edit that dds file doesn't even show up under the mod. I'm sort of driving myself crazy since I've never had such a hard time trying to make a 'simple' tweak on a mod before. It feels like the maker branded it on the face so that someone like me would have no other choice but to deal with it.

That texture file is a stock file. If you do not have a mod overriding it as a loose file or in its own BSA, it will be found within the Skyrim-Textures.bsa file.

What you most likely need to do, is load the plugin as active in the Creation Kit, remove the tattoo assignment from the actor record, save the plugin, export the face gen data with Ctrl+F4

This page may be of help: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Character_Gen_Parts_Tab

That texture file is a stock file. If you do not have a mod overriding it as a loose file or in its own BSA, it will be found within the Skyrim-Textures.bsa file.

What you most likely need to do, is load the plugin as active in the Creation Kit, remove the tattoo assignment from the actor record, save the plugin, export the face gen data with Ctrl+F4

This page may be of help: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Character_Gen_Parts_Tab

I appreciate this immensely. Yesterday I ended up figuring it out, but I'm sure I did it the most backwards way possible. I found out how to unpack the bsa file and then had to have a program to open the nif, dds, and tga files. Then I looked for the file that I hated, used GIMP to get rid of the tattoo, and then attempted to allow the loose files to override the mod. But no, of course it can't be that easy. The mod wouldn't be overwritten, so I removed the mod completely and replaced it with the 'loose' edited version. For some reason, then the hair disappeared even though the two files weren't even in the same folder and I definitely didn't touch it. So I repacked the BSA with Archive.exe and edited it in CK to put hair back on the character. Seriously, people who mod are of another higher caliber. I'll never look at the craft quite the same ever again. (Also I'm probably a big dumb, dumb)

Edited by katelynnlee

• 1 year later...