Lonesome Road / ED-E game breaking bug

Nodevski

Short description: I encountered a rare bug in Lonesome Road's ED-E. ED-E is unable to fire his Unlock Zapper (which is a modified Arc welder) in some situations which breaks the game after the Cave of the Abaddon. Probably either the bug is in ED-E's AI packages or the bug is in the Arc Welder or its ammunition.

----

First occurance of this bug: After hiring ED-E it could not unlock the first Commissary Terminal, but at the same time I had ED-E unlock the Silo Blast Door Controls and that worked, ED-E unlocked them.

For the Commissary Terminal I found a reproducible fix, it worked five times in a row:

- Get ED-E out of his pod and tell him to come with you.

- Walk to the Commissary Terminal, ED-E will follow you and halt before the terminal, unable to unlock it.
- Open the console with "~" without the quotes.

- Click on ED-E

- type "addtitem 00078CC2 1" without the quotes, this is to add a Robot Energy Cell to ED-E's ammo.

- type "openteammatecontainer" without the quotes, to open ED-E's inventory.

- Close ED-E's inventory.

- Close the console with "~" without the quotes.

- Now ED-E will unlock the Commissary Terminal.
It's also possible to add the ammo and open the inventory directly when ED-E comes out of the pod and then direct him to the Commissary Terminal and have him unlock the terminal.

Second occurance of this bug, this time game-breaking: After going through the Cave of the Abbadon, when exiting the door to the Divide, the player is forced into a dialog with Ulysses/ED-E. When finishing the dialog, Ulysses/ED-E should shoot the player with the Unlock Zapper and ED-E is then taken away. But this never happens. As with the Commissary Terminal before, ED-E gets in position to fire (lifts his embedded Unlock Zapper a little), but never fires, and ED-E just floats in the air with nothing happening. The player controls are disabled and all the player can do is exit the game without being able to finish the DLC.

This can be fixed a similar way the Commissary Terminal was fixed. However this time it was not needed to open and close ED-E's inventory, but if this does not work for you, you can always add the inventory command to the mix.

- When you are at the exit of the cave, not yet through the door to the Divide, open the console with "~" without the quotes.

- Click on ED-E

- type "addtitem 00078CC2 1" without the quotes, this is to add a Robot Energy Cell to ED-E's ammo.

- (Optionally open and close ED-E's inventory)

- Close the console with "~" without the quotes.

- Open the Door to The Divide.

After the dialog ED-E does fire at the player and flies away.

NOTE: EDE has a regular Arc Welder which it uses in combat, bus uses his Unlock Zapper to hit the player after the Cave. When I start fresh with Lonesome Road, enter the Silo, and hire EDE, do a "~ showinventory" immediately when he comes out of the pod, his Unlock Zapper xx00AB55 says [CANNOT EQUIP], and his Arc Welder xx0076A9 says "- Worn". When I have him try to activate the Commisarry Terminal his Unlock Zapper shows "- Worn [CANNOT EQUIP]". During the cutscene after the Cave it also says "- Worn [CANNOT EQUIP]". I think there is probably someting wrong with the Unlock Zapper, so if anyone is able to fix that then these workarounds wouldn't be needed anymore.

Edited by Nodevski

• 5 months later...

This is not a "usual" bug in Lonesome Road. It is almost certainly due to a mod conflict, but without proper information, we can't help. (I'm not clear how I missed this one originally, but I would have said the same thing then. Possibly because the OP isn't asking for help but just reporting how they resolved their problem.) Re-installing the game is not likely to help in that circumstance.

Please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as the version of Windows, if you are using a "Steam" or "GOG" and/or "regional language version" of the game (even if you are playing it in English); using the FNV4GB Patch, NVSE and it's related plugins; replacements for textures (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), animations, or "bodies", etc.; and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX. It saves us playing "20 questions" and gets you a more specific answer more quickly. (The usual turn-around on post and reply in an older game forum is 24 hours.) Screenshots of the "load order" don't usually work so well because they tend to cut off or fail to display needed information and are hard to "piece together" into a complete and coherent picture.

* See "How to markup images (etc) in forum posts and comments" article for how to use "Spoiler tags". "LOOT" already includes those tags in the "load order" it copies to your clipboard, so you can just paste it's list into your post.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 10 months later...

For me it was certainly a mod conflict. For me it was Pick Companion Armor and Weapons, but it's possible any similar mod will do the same. My fix was to utilize the mod to unforce ED-E to use a particular weapon. Now he unlocks stuff...

Hope this helps.