How To Send Settlers to Custom Settlement?

Hi everyone, I have a fully functioning custom settlement however I'm struggling with finding out how to be able to make my settlement come up in the little menu when you dismiss your follower. Every tutorial I've found for custom settlements doesn't mention it. If anyone has a link to a tutorial that does or can help I'd really appreciate it! Thank you :)

:ohmy: :woot: femshepping!!

Wow, it is really great to see you here in the forums. I really wish that I knew how to help you out, to give something back.

There's a couple of mods that I know that SET locations where followers will go to, by default. Amazing Follower Tweaks, https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26976

and Companions Go home. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10029

I don't really think that's what you're looking for, but they might give you some idea.

I'm not entirely sure, and I am really, really guessing, but I think that list gets made up by what settlements the PC has available to them. So it would most likely be found in a script somewhere. Which I THINK is based on the workshop, in the settlement. I know that by default, Player Home workshops, such as in Home Plate, do not qualify. Three pages of google searches didn't give me much in the way of results. :(

Ok, so I know that nobody wants to be pestered by a bunch of fans. But I do wanna just say thank you for all of the time that you've put in, and all of the great mods that you've shared with all of us. You're one of the greats around here, and I just wanted to take a minute to say how much you've done for us, and how much we appreciate it. :)

-Storm

Thank you so much!

If I can’t find anything I might have to reverse engineer those mods. All I’ve got from tutorials is “you have to change the scripts” but no actual guide on what script to change :( lol.

Thanks again! :)

No problem! I'll hunt around in a couple of the custom house mods that I have after I get some sleep, and I'll see if I can locate that. I use Fo4edit tho, not the CK. But I'll take a look and see if xedit shows it or not.

Hey, all things considered, it's the least I can do :D

If it's the same menu for sending settlers to settlements (I think it is), then you need proper encounter zone and location for the cell the workshop sits in, and the workshop must be configured for said encounter zone. It's also what's usually broken/missing in settlement mods when you can't send settlers to the mod settlement because it won't show up in the list and if it's not a conflict/load order issue.

Oh yes, there are scripts involved as well: WorkshopAddLocations, WorkshopParent, DefaultQuestShutdownScript, possibly others if you want a working fast travel mat.

SKK50 has a good tutorial that's worth a read: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/1023

To appear in the list of assignable locations the workshop must be properly registered with WorkshopParentScript which depends on a bunch of keywords to avoid improper registration corrupting that master list of all connected workshops.

You can use Workshop Ownership Utilities to test your keywords in game. The associated article niston suggests will help get it all correct and registered.

the most easy way to see if your settlement works correct, open workbench, do it say 50% or anything else ?, if not 50% means you did someting wrong

for a easy setup for wb/markers under packins there is a prebuild workbench with all markers/build box, it don't include the so called location edge marker, but that 1 is only needed to make it raid able

for a easy script(workshopparent, duplicate/rename the 1 from robo(dlc) set the workbench to the right location

if you can't get it right send me the esp, i can check it, and report back if or wat you did wrong

and don't worry i will not steal the esp, infact i never use(d) any settlement from others

wel i did some sort but that was for bug hunting for others

lil side note, i don't know much about that stuf, so its up to you

Edited by speedynl

Here's a slightly more detailed settlement tutorial, with pictures and such:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32193

That thing about 50% happiness is a sign that workshop registration process did go through, but that doesn't always mean it's properly working.

That process puts the workshop into the WorkshopArray of WorkshopParent, puts the index of that entry into it's workshopID property, then also tries to get the Location record of the workshop's cell, and put it into another array under the same index as the workshop. It also tries to find a map marker in that Location and put it into the workshop's myMapMarker property.

At some point during this process, it also sets the happiness to 50%.

This process will successfully finish even if the Location/EncounterZone aren't set up properly. It then could register the default "Commonwealth" Location as belonging to the workshop, or put a none reference into the location array, or, even worse, use a location used by another settlement already.

I also wrote this about common settlement problems: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/1518?

As for where you can send settlers, I'm somewhat certain it's about the Keywords on your Location or something similar. I have seen non-settlement player home mods which show up in the dismiss companion list. However, not sure if picking that option actually works...

If a settlement shows up or not also depends on the type of workbench, IIRC. Full workbench (the large red one) should always show up. Probably be related to keywords, as Pra suggested.

As for SKK50's tutorial, I think it's the only one I came across that lets you get most everything right if you follow it closely and it also works for interior settlements with a full workbench. All the others I've seen and tried, they appear to have some problems regarding supply lines at least. Can't have that if you've got a supply line fetish like I do :) Not to say tho that I've seen them all.

Re map marker and fast travel target, I've posted a helpful little script to the nexus a while ago. Can't find the link atm though, the forum search function is absolutely awful.

On a side note, it may happen that some settlements seemingly initialize to 20% happiness. I see this happening on occasion if I spawn a settler in a place hat doesn't have beds, resources or supply lines set up yet, happiness drops to 20% immediately. But everything works perfectly fine afterwards and if resources are made available, or supply lines established, happiness will slowly rise back up to normal.

Ok, just chiming back in. The mods I looked at didn't give me any leads. So I started looking at companions. As SKK mentioned, every single one of them, has a reference to workshopparentquest.

From one of his articles that I found while looking for information about that quest, he mentions that the ref id, and the loc id have to be present.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/2094

That's about as far as my limited understanding got me. :(

I do gotta say, that it's really fantastic to see so many of the big names, all here in the same thread. Coming together to help each other out. :)

Tho also pretty humbling at the same time, when you realize that a lot of what they're saying is still miles and miles ahead of your own personal location. HAHAHA.