SKSE and Linux...

I accept that I might be trying to do something daft but has anyone got SKSE to run under Linux? And if so how did you do it? On Linux SkyrimSE will only launch from Steam - not via Vortex - so maybe what I'm attempting is just very very silly given that SKSE has its own executable...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a quick look - that is a seriously sneaky solution... Will try it out. I began to think I was in an 'infernal' loop with this won't work there but this can't launch there thing... Thank you!!! Yet again! I didn't think about asking help from Steam!!!

If anyone else wants to try this then the simplest solution appears to be GloriousEggroll's custom build https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/tag/4.10-GE-3

This is a custom built instance of Proton which is designed to act with SKSE and therefore SkyUI.

You need to download SKSE first from siverlock https://skse.silverlock.org/ Make sure you download the correct version!!! And follow the instructions really carefully. Ditto GloriousEggroll's instructions. Eventually, SkyrimSE will start and ask if you want to use SKSE... ProtonFixes will slosh about for ages if you let it but at some point it's fine to click on Yes (it will launch SKSE) again and all should be well. There are other renaming fixes just as the one mentioned above by HeyYou and elsewhere (do a web search). Just don't try that when you're in a rush - you need to keep your wits about you - it's easy to destroy the game... If that happens you'll need to reinstall...

I haven't done many in-game hours with this solution but I have tested it with SkyUI and Jaxonx Positioner (SkyrimSE version) and it works fine on **my** rig! However, I really don't care if things go wrong and I have to re-install... and I've had a lot of experience adding mods *without* a mod manager! I don't suggest messing about with it if it'll make you cry if it goes wrong... :whistling: If all you want to do is game then don't mess about with this. I'm rapidly enjoying getting things to work on Linux much more than actually playing the games! It might not be fun for anyone else though when things go seriously pear shaped... :ermm:

I'm rapidly enjoying getting things to work on Linux much more than actually playing the games!

That warms my heart too :smile: But sometimes I can dive into playing :smile:

I have tested it with SkyUI and Jaxonx Positioner (SkyrimSE version) and it works fine on **my** rig!

Could you please tell me, are your SkyUI Active Effects icons displayed correctly at the left of the corresponding time bars?

Edited by shumkar

@shumkar - I don't remember *ever* seeing Active Effects icons on SkyUI but I haven't used it for years. I don't have anything in the current new game to show an active effect either so I'll try that out and report back. I can say that with SKSE and SkyUI installed the game is unstable. It doesn't exit cleanly (I'm assuming you know Linux but for anyone else that doesn't I'll explain I have to open a terminal and 'kill' the game) and is prone to freezing which it doesn't do without them. I have no idea whether it's one or just the combination or if it's interacting with a mod. I'll have to disable everything again and see if I can find the issue.

To be clear, I started out on all this because I just wanted to use Jaxonz Positioner so that I could 'plant' Kriemen's retextured lavender and deathbells... But I got fascinated by how to get it all to play nicely together. I hate to say this but I don't like SkyUI much - I'm too used to the old system so it really, really slows me down and the icons annoy me... I'm not sure there's is any such thing as the perfect icon... It's clever - but not for me so if I can position Kriemen's flowers and then go back to the old menu system - I will... if SKSE is making the game unstable then I'll revert to the non-SKSE *if* it'll load... Using the method I described above, the game will ask if you want SKSE or not... ie you don't have to load by the SKSE.exe - this will do that for you. GloriousEggroll's solution is very elegant!

I've been using Linux a few months so I'm no expert at it but I must say, getting these things to work has taught me a lot and it's fun!!! Ubuntu (my flavour of Linux) is extremely robust.

@shumkar - I don't remember *ever* seeing Active Effects icons on SkyUI but I haven't used it for years. I don't have anything in the current new game to show an active effect either so I'll try that out and report back.

There are the steps to display Active Effects icons:

1. Go to MCM -> SkyUI -> General -> Active effects HUD and check the box "Enabled".

2. Go back in game and cast one of such spells as Candlelight / Oakflesh or every other *flesh / Conjure Flame Atronach or every other *Atronach.

3. Look at the top right corner of the screen. There must appear icons with grey-white time bars (if everything works correctly) or grey-white time bars only (if the icons aren't displayed).

I can say that with SKSE and SkyUI installed the game is unstable. It doesn't exit cleanly (I'm assuming you know Linux but for anyone else that doesn't I'll explain I have to open a terminal and 'kill' the game) and is prone to freezing which it doesn't do without them. I have no idea whether it's one or just the combination or if it's interacting with a mod. I'll have to disable everything again and see if I can find the issue.

I would not say that my Skyrim SE is unstable with SKSE and SkyUI. Yes, sometimes it doesn't exit cleanly, or, more precisely, it exits, but the last picture doesn't go away of the screen because the parent process (SKSE?) let a <defunct> Skyrim.exe remain. But I had got the same issue on Windows - in the times of LE, when I could not manage to play it on Linux and had a dual-boot. It doesn't happen often; I would say 1 time of 5 or 10.

I don't see any game's attempts to freeze while playing.

I am expieriencing now another issue with SKSE/SkyUI; not displaying Active Effects icons is one of symptoms of that. Other symptoms are seen from the behaviour of ActionScript inside mods. I haven't yet figured out how to work around that. My detailed post about it is here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7979018-skyui-not-showing-effect-hud-icons-only-time-bars/&do=findComment&comment=76384468

To be clear, I started out on all this because I just wanted to use Jaxonz Positioner so that I could 'plant' Kriemen's retextured lavender and deathbells...

As for me, I like much Lakeview Manor As It Should Be :smile: I think now: how could I play without this mod before? :smile:

I've been using Linux a few months so I'm no expert at it but I must say, getting these things to work has taught me a lot and it's fun!!! Ubuntu (my flavour of Linux) is extremely robust.

I would not call myself an expert neither. Some things are clearer for me than more than 10 years ago when I installed my first Debian Etch. After few years in Debian I switched to Gentoo and am using it until now.

Edited by shumkar

No, the Active Effects icon isn't working - tried candlelight and oakflesh. I think I may try putting SkyUI on Skyrim to see what it's meant to look like!

I'm not convinced that the instability of the game is caused by SKSE and SkyUI. With all mods disabled apart from LAL and a clean game started both SkyUI and SKSE play nicely with GloriousEggroll's custom Proton. It may not even be a particular mod that causes the instability; it may be caused by the fact I do run rather a lot of mods and there is some 'disagreement' along the way! Anyway, with just SkyUI and SKSE and of course LAL, the game doesn't freeze and it quits cleanly... so far! :cool:

I agree that clean exits weren't always possible on Windows either; and Skyrim - on Windows - (as opposed to SkyrimSE) never did exit cleanly for me after I'd added the DLC.

It sounds like you have way, way, way more Linux experience than I have! :laugh: I dual-booted for a bit but I hated it and I'm much happier without Windows.

No, the Active Effects icon isn't working - tried candlelight and oakflesh.

Thank you for the feedback! So, switching to GloriousEggroll's Proton won't fix that (as I hoped)...

I think I may try putting SkyUI on Skyrim to see what it's meant to look like!

Do you mean Skyrim - Oldrim? I know that Active Effect icons are displaying perfectly in Skyrim SE on Windows.

It may not even be a particular mod that causes the instability; it may be caused by the fact I do run rather a lot of mods and there is some 'disagreement' along the way!

I would turn mods on/off many times, first to find in which half is the offender, then reducing the selection (in which dozen) and so on. Unfortunately, some mods can create additional issues when disabled mid game. So, it could take much time.

It sounds like you have way, way, way more Linux experience than I have!

It just sounds so )

Edited by shumkar

The active effect icon is now working. No idea why. I did the old computer hack trick of fiddling with the settings, switching on and off a few times etc etc... It's funny how often the on/off switch and/or a reboot fixes issues... :laugh: