SKSE and Linux...

The active effect icon is now working. No idea why. I did the old computer hack trick of fiddling with the settings, switching on and off a few times etc etc... It's funny how often the on/off switch and/or a reboot fixes issues... :laugh:

Interesting! :smile:

Which file have you edited?

If you have the copy of the old file, could you post the output of this command:

diff -u <path_to_old_settings_file> <path_to_new_settings_file>

?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't changed anything at all I'm sad to say. So I really don't know why it's suddenly working. As I say, I went to the SkyUI setup and switched the icons on and off a few times, changed the font size and changed it back and then reloaded a game... I've tried it only on oakflesh... I've had issues with SkyUI's setup menu not appearing in game even though the menu itself is fine. I think you have to give it a few seconds or so to be recognised maybe... I can be extremely impatient...

I haven't changed anything at all I'm sad to say. So I really don't know why it's suddenly working. As I say, I went to the SkyUI setup and switched the icons on and off a few times, changed the font size and changed it back and then reloaded a game...

Oh that's how :laugh:

Considering other issues with SKSE on my machine (that I mentioned), I'm not sure it will work...

I'll remember this your method, but will put it aside for a while... When I try everything else, as a last resort, I'll try it :laugh:

Edited by shumkar

Great!!! It's good to know that other people are using Linux for gaming as well. Not so 'lonely' after all. :laugh:

RE outnumbered - yes it feels like we must represent about .000000000000002% of the users... I sometimes think we should have a thread where we can go and exchange how much time we've spent reinstalling our games or beating up Wine... I have noticed though that Linux users sometimes show more interest when things are broken than when they actually work... :laugh:

Anyway, today has started in a very interesting way as SkyrimSE refused to run SkyUI. SkyUI insisted that something had overwritten it. I validated the game on Steam. I disabled every mod, reinstalled SkyUI and it ran fine but for some reason in windowed mode. I checked every setting on Steam and tried Skyrim (Oldrim) in case it was a Steam setting. I also found that SkySE would run in full-screen using other versions of Proton... so I forced it to reacquire and all is fine... I'm not totally sure why I don't just give up on SKSE and SkyUI as Kriemen has made a mod for the lavenders which mean I can 'plant' them using a spell! So there's no need. But I have grown fascinated by which mods make my game unstable. I don't think it's a particular mod. I get the impression it's just some mods don't like each other much. I'm also beginning to think that some 'realize' they're on Linux really and throw a tantrum... :laugh:

SKSE and SkyUI are less necessary too because I've got the Creation Kit running on Linux using Proton so in theory I could just fix these problems myself... but the idea of actually writing stuff doesn't fill me with joy... I think I prefer being a critic... :happy:

I have noticed though that Linux users sometimes show more interest when things are broken than when they actually work... :laugh:

Main sysadmin rule: "If it works don't touch it" :smile:

SkyUI insisted that something had overwritten it... it ran fine but for some reason in windowed mode... would run in full-screen using other versions of Proton

It looks like a mix of several issues... At first sight.

But I have grown fascinated by which mods make my game unstable. I don't think it's a particular mod. I get the impression it's just some mods don't like each other much.

Even if so, it could be tested out in the same way as if the offender was one: when one of two conflicting mods gets disabled, the issue goes away. The tester gets the wrong impression that the disabled mod caused instability by itself but he fixes the issue anyway )

I've got the Creation Kit running on Linux using Proton so in theory I could just fix these problems myself... but the idea of actually writing stuff doesn't fill me with joy... I think I prefer being a critic... :happy:

There is a book: "Why Software Sucks...and What You Can Do About It" by David S. Platt. If you prefer being a critic, don't begin to write... because all software sucks, it's normal :smile:

Now, if seriously :smile:: Creation Kit almost does not serve for working with SkyUI sources. It serves for Papyrus scripts and/or textures/meshes etc. But SkyUI is mostly based on Flash and ActionScript. The main program for working with Flash and ActionScript for SkyrimSE is Adobe Flash Professional CS 6.

Edited by shumkar

SkyUI insisted that something had overwritten it...

How do you install mods? All via Vortex?

it ran fine but for some reason in windowed mode.

(Non-)windowed mode is being configured in SkyrimPrefs.ini. E.g., in mine it's written:

[Display]

bBorderless=1

bFull Screen=0

iSize H=1080

iSize W=1920

but my game runs non-windowed...

On Linux, there could be different instances of this file. The working one (for me) is that in ~/My Games/Skyrim\ Special\ Edition. The second resides at ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim\ Special\ Edition/Skyrim/, the third - at ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/489830/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Skyrim\ Special\ Edition.

would run in full-screen using other versions of Proton

How do you switch between Proton versions? Are these versions:

all _native_from_Steam

or

all _non_native_as_GloriousEggroll's

or

one_native_other_non_native

Edit: really a mess with these SkyrimPrefs.ini...

Edited by shumkar

@shumkar

I have no idea how SkyrimSE ended up windowed... However, I do know how to fix it. If I run the game and it goes into its original first menu I can use the settings there to set screen resolution etc. However, once I use SKSE etc etc, it doesn't go through that menu so I have to force it to reacquire the game so that it asks me to do the set-up. I'm not sure if I've been very clear there...

Switching between Proton versions is easy, I just use Steam to choose via the game's 'properties' tab and they appear as drop-downs.

I was about to give up on SKSE and SkyUI as even with very few mods the game is unstable... but I've now found that I've lost sound when I switch to an alternative Proton setting so I need to sort that one first! The good news is that Live Another Life is absolutely rock solid! I don't know what I'd do without that mod as I don't think I could bear to sit through the opening scenes every time I test a new set up... as it is I can't now be bothered to set up a proper character and I end up with a large male Nord called Sven... As I always play female characters it gave me a shock when he jumped from a height and said the equivalent of 'ouch'... I nearly jumped out of my seat wondering where the male voice had come from! Poor Sven... :laugh:

edited to add SkyUI was added through Vortex. Vortex is totally stable on my set up...