SKSE and Linux...

...Useful means to understand the situation with SkyrimPrefs.ini:

diff -u <file1> <file2> (shows the difference between files)

ls -al <folder or file> (shows the date of the last modification)

If a file has not been modificated for a long time (earlier than you launched the game last time), it means that it is at least non-main one :smile:

To be honest, I don't like to dig into this now because the game's condition suits me ("If it works don't touch it").

Edited by shumkar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah ha - yes - now that does sound like a useful thing to try... Thank you!

re: If it works don't touch it - we also say: If it ain't broke don't fix it! Dreadful grammar, of course' but it means the same thing.

I have no idea how SkyrimSE ended up windowed... However, I do know how to fix it. If I run the game and it goes into its original first menu I can use the settings there to set screen resolution etc. However, once I use SKSE etc etc, it doesn't go through that menu so I have to force it to reacquire the game so that it asks me to do the set-up. I'm not sure if I've been very clear there...

Clear enough :smile: I didn't understand only what "reacquire the game" means. Sorry, my English is not too good.

I'd like to say that configuring UI (user interface) is secondary. Every UI saves all settings somewhere; in UNIX "Everything is a file". So, I prefer always to find a proper file and to configure it rather than to work with UI (and then to backup it few times :smile: )

a large male Nord called Sven

:laugh:

edited to add SkyUI was added through Vortex. Vortex is totally stable on my set up...

If you install all of your mods only via Vortex, then there are two options: or Vortex made this mess with SkyUI, or some another program 'spoiled' the files installed by Vortex. If I remember well, when installing a new mod with Vortex, it warns the user if some file is changed or missing. When/if you meet the same issue, try to go to Vortex and to install some non-significant mod to check if Vortex warn you.

I just use Steam to choose via the game's 'properties' tab and they appear as drop-downs.

You didn't answer about native/non-native Proton versions. The reason is that using non-native Proton (switching to it / from it) could potentially trigger some issues...

Edit: I see, about non-native Proton and the sound.

Edited by shumkar

shumkar - I think we Linux gamers need to stick together! There are so few of us; and I agree - it's nice to share Linux experiences! :laugh:

Anyway, my game is no longer broken but I'm not running either SKSE or SkyUI. I've gone back to an old save with lots and lots of mods and it appears to be very stable and exits cleanly. I'm using one of GloriousEggroll's versions of Proton. I'm intending to put the rest of the missing mods back on a few at a time to see when/if it breaks. Then I may go back to seeing how much I can run with SKSE and SkyUI... I'm actually getting to like SkyUI!

Your English is extremely good so you have nothing to apologise for! I need to apologise for not being clearer!

I think we Linux gamers need to stick together! There are so few of us; and I agree - it's nice to share Linux experiences! :laugh:

Sure!

Anyway, my game is no longer broken but I'm not running either SKSE or SkyUI. I've gone back to an old save with lots and lots of mods and it appears to be very stable and exits cleanly. I'm using one of GloriousEggroll's versions of Proton. I'm intending to put the rest of the missing mods back on a few at a time to see when/if it breaks. Then I may go back to seeing how much I can run with SKSE and SkyUI... I'm actually getting to like SkyUI!

Glad to hear that your game is getting fixed. About SKSE and SkyUI: I think, they are must-have!

extremely good

Really, not extremely )

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, I started playing Skyrim under linux OpenSUSE 15.2 last week, and for the most part it works great. I tried windows 10 at first but the game crashed whenever I used full-screen mode with an HDMI video/audio output. (Same with Supreme Commander, so it's likely a windows driver issue) It mostly works fine in steam with the latest experimental proton.

I've had the game for a long time, but I never loaded it up previously. I used to play Morrowind quite a bit in years past.

I think I have the non SE version without any DLC. It's quite challenging to find the version number under linux or in Steam.

My only technical issue is that clicking the mouse buttons while duel-wielding in a fight doesn't work. It seems to work fine one-handed outside of a fight, and sometimes in a fight.

Plugging in a controller works fine, but I have a difficult time using one joystick for movement and a second one for looking around after decades of using WASD and a mouse look.

It was also strange that the default was left mouse button activates right hand and right mouse button activates left hand, but I guess that's for backwards compatibility with Oblivion (which I never played), and was easy to fix once I figured it out.

But it's pretty frustrating to have to plug in the controller to swing my swords whenever I get in a fight. I'm pretty sure that wasn't an issue when I first started playing. I did download an older version of proton (5.13?) to get Supreme Commander working under linux, so I wonder if that somehow changed the proton version being used by Skyrim?

As to gameplay, I have to say that I dislike the controller-centric UI. It works very poorly with a mouse and keyboard. So I starting looking around and found out about the SkyUI mod and SKSE, and that led me here to this post. It's unclear to me if SKSE works with my version of Skyrim, although I think I did find an old version that said it matched my skyrim version.

http://modsreloaded.com/skse

http://modsreloaded.com/skyui

So please keep us up-to-date on your progress! When I get a chance, I'm going to see if I can use what you did to get the above two working.

Edited by mkienenb

I've just seen this. I'll have a look tomorrow and make some sensible comments. If I can't then I'll commiserate! :-) I've heard of OpenSuse but never used it. However, Linux is Linux... and there are plenty of people now gaming under it and they're very keen to help! You're not alone! There will be solutions.

I ended up trying this approach first:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/9ahnfn/skyrim_on_linux_just_got_easier_with_steamplay/

which is to install SKSE into the same directory as your skyrim install (missed the "same" step the first time), then rename some files so that SKSE would launch when you started Skyrim. For whatever reason, I couldn't get SKSE to launch any other way.

Then just rename TESV.exe to Skyrim.exe, and rename skse_loader.exe to TESV.exe to trick Steam into launching skse_loader before Skyrim.

Lastly, create a folder called skse in the Data directory and add a skse.ini file containing:

[Loader]

RuntimeName = Skyrim.exe

I then followed the directions in the SkyUI_4_1/Readme - SkyUI.txt file for a steam install:

------------------------------------------------------------
a) Subscribe on Steam Workshop
------------------------------------------------------------

1. Go to http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=8122 and click subscribe.

2. The next time you start the Skyrim Launcher, SkyUI will be downloaded and installed automatically.

Versions:

Skyrim 1.9.32.0.8
SKSE 1.7.3 rel 48
SkyUI MCM 4 v 5.1

That seems to be working for me. Already looks way easier.

Reinstalling proton experimental seems to make one-handed weapon mouse kicks work consistently (not much testing yet).

And it looks like I can do a power attack if I don't push both buttons at the same time but instead push one then the other in quick succession. Not sure if the normal duel attack is working by using the buttons in reverse order.

Sorted/filtered/grouped inventory is going to be a huge improvement, as are the quick-keys to inventory and magic

I'm glad it's working!

You *should* be able to re-map the keys to whatever you want, inside the game itself.

The SKSE people are very insistent about how to install SKSE. I'm not sure if you've seen what they had to say here:

https://skse.silverlock.org/

But you should be able to install SKSE directly to Skyrim (Oldrim) via Steam. I'm pretty certain I've done that. Both versions of Skyrim should tell you which version of Skyrim you're running and which SKSE.

I'm not running SKSE at the moment as I've just reformatted both drives, stuck the OS on my small drive but home is now on my large drive. I was filling up the small drive very quickly with mods... I'm afraid my days of doing anything serious with a computer are well and truly over. I don't get CTD which I'd get from time to time on Windows but sometimes SkyrimSE freezes and requires closing via a terminal. Oldrim is very very stable. If you get that situation then bring up a terminal in game and do pkill Skyrim.exe or pkill SkyrimSE.exe (whichever game you're on) and it will close it for you and return you to the desktop. You haven't mentioned any audio problems. Oldrim didn't seem to have any such issues but SE has given Linux gamers a few headaches over audio. Glorious Eggroll's Proton fixed that for me but I now issue a command from the Steam launcher

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="xaudio2_7=n,b" %command%

It saves all the messing around setting audio to native, inbuilt etc etc... which in my experience was beginning to feel a bit like casting the chicken bones! Incidentally, GE's Proton includes SKSE...

When everything is stable you might like to look at Lutris which will let you run other Windows games though a fair number will run through Steam. Rockerbacon (Github) has a version of MO which can be used to install mods or Vortex will run too under Lutris. MO needs an instance for each game. Vortex under Linux can be iffy about recognising games. I've found if you install them before Vortex then it finds the games easily enough. Installed afterwards it can't find them and you have to set up links manually. But Lutris has versions of NMM and Vortex which saves scouring Github for things.

I'm surprised shumkar hasn't come along but maybe they haven't noticed this yet... it's an old thread... I'd be interested in how things go. Even though all I do is game now, I guess I have retained *some* curiosity about user experience... :-)