SKSE and Linux...

I knew that win 10 was simply spyware masquerading as an operating system....... But, my only experience with any variety of unix/linux was almost 20 years ago.... So, I'm a bit rusty. :D I wanted to get up and running as quickly as possible, and windows fit the bill. I like win 7 a LOT better than 10.... but, starting around the 7th gen of intel processors, there wasn't any support for win 7 any more. Bummer. :D

In early versions of Win 10, you could actually turn off Cortana...... I think that went away around 1703..... More's the pity. I don't use cortana, so, I don't need it eating resources I would much rather be using to run my games.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I also liked XP better than 7 and 7 better than 10... But 7, since it is not being updated anymore, has become less safe... Quickly as possible - understandable. I thinks your move from 7 to 10 was "inevitable" too. But now, when you have (quickly) got your new system running, you could try Linux. Sure, a lot of stuff has changed during 20 years. Linux history is not much longer than 20 years :smile: I think you could try some distros first in a VM (for example, in Virtualbox), without haste, step-by-step. A good starting point for choosing distros could be the advanced search on Distrowatch - "all rolling distros", and reading reviews. Unfortunately, I am not experienced in many different distros, because before Gentoo I had only Debian, it was a long ago. Since I found Gentoo, I tried other distros only for testing purposes, in VMs, mainly Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, a little - CentOS Stream and PCLinuxOS; liked, in general, all of them, except PCLinuxOS (a combination of non-systemd and rolling system seemed promising for me, but I didn't like how it all has been implemented and a general OS quality); CentOS is not for desktops, though, it's a server OS.

Edited by shumkar

I went from XP to 7, about six years after support for XP ended. :D To make it even more exciting, I was running 64 bit XP pro. It seems that no one wrote printer drivers for that O/S, and I couldn't convince the 32 bit fellers to work. :) So, I emailed anything I needed to print to myself, and printed from another machine. (at work, as I don't use one at home enough to justify owning one.) I went to 7 shortly after Firefox ended support for their browser on XP...... 7 was good, but, I still liked XP better...... :)

I played with RedHat linux, and a couple other (much) older distros when I worked for Borders. (books and music, a company that no longer exists.....) But, my purposes at that time were work related, not gaming. Still running windows on my gaming machines back then. Now, I am retired.... for the most part.... just work part-time at a local computer shop. I don't really need the money, but, I enjoy the work, it's a cool place to work, and I get along with all of my co-workers. (a rare occurrence..... generally, there has always been at least one that no matter what I did, we just could NOT get along..... I do not miss that.) Oddly enough, I consider it "fun"..... (is there something wrong with me??)((you can lie to me, please. :) ))

I have a laptop that I use to talk to various automotive computers.... Might try some flavor of linux on that. Provided my software will run on it. :D (yeah, I did the auto tech thing for many years as well. I like computers better. Smaller, cleaner parts, that NEVER see a Michigan winter. :D)

Re "six years after support for XP ended"

Are you a thrill seeker? :)

Re "I played with RedHat linux"

Then I think you could start with Fedora!

Re "(is there something wrong with me??)((you can lie to me, please. :) ))"

Hmmm, sorry, I'm afraid that my knowledge of English is not enough for getting the nuances of meaning like in that phrase... Did you mean working just for communicating with your co-workers? If yes, my answer is - Why not, especially if it is the only way to communicate with them! :) (I couldn't lie here... :huh:)

Re "I have a laptop... Might try some flavor of linux on that. Provided my software will run on it."

The most full collection of the information about Linux laptop compatibility that I know of: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop - please note the line "Acer – Apple – ASUS – Dell – Fujitsu – HP – IBM/Lenovo – MSI – Samsung – Sony – Toshiba – Other" with links to the corresponding chapters.

Cool, I will have a look, and take it from there. Also have to consult with my software vendor, and make sure it will run under linux. I *think* they have a version for that.

Nah, I got to work because I actually enjoy doing the work. The people are just an added bonus, as for the most part, I am locked away in the service area, and don't interact with anyone very much. (and the whole covid thing has only made me more secluded, I am old, and in several of the 'high risk' categories.... so, my boss hides me away.) I just like doin' the work. Makes me use my brain a bit. I enjoy a good challenge, and some of the stuff our customers can come up with, are truly interesting. :D And the custom builds are REALLY fun. :D At least a part of that though, I think is that I enjoy spending other peoples money. :D