The Evolving Society Mod

QQuix

How about doing something similar to the MS18 quest? (the killing field) If not I'll try to think of any alternative ways (though I'm not really experienced with leveled lists,spawns,etc).

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not that familiar with LL lists either, but I don’t think they would work for my purpose, because I want the spawning rate of each cell reduced gradually as the civilization advances over wild areas.

I spent the whole day (vacations are great!) thinking and scripting and, at the moment, I have this:

I created an activator that detects when the player enters its area of influence (a radius of about 9,000 units) and decides whether to spawn a new creature.

The decision depends on a probability expressed as a percentage.

So far, the algorithm is as follows.

· Starts at 100% (first spawn always occurs)

· Reduce 20 percent points for each spawned creature killed

· Reduce 5 percent points for each hour the player spends in the area

· Reduce by 10 percent points per day that the player comes near

· Add .5 percent point per hour spent outside the area

· Set to 0 if close to a village or other civilized areas (mines, farms, etc)

I will placed one of this at the center of each of the 600+ cells in the island (using CODA, of course).

This way, as the player explores around and approaches each activator in turn, the script kicks in and spawns some beast (have not thought about which ones yet. I suppose it will depend on the player level. Ideas and suggestions are welcome)

As the player spends more time (or travels more frequently thru) a given area, the spawning will gradually reduce and eventually stop.

The script is pretty much done. But ideas to improve it are welcome.

Hi, all.

I need help with landscaping cluttering and region’ing.

I’ve spent the last two days trying to understand how to fill the landscape with trees, rocks etc,

I think I did understand and gave it a try. But things didn’t come out the way I thought they would.

I guess it would take me several weeks to do this, so I thought it better to focus on working on the things I know and finish the Alpha version.

So, if any experienced landscaper would like to give it a try, just let me know.

Otherwise, I am afraid I will just sink that part of the island, for the time being.

Here is the scenario

The northern part of the island is fine and is all I need for the first release. The southern part (a mountain, basically) is barren and need to be worked;

Below is the screenshot of the island. The part north of the line is OK and is all I need for the first few versions of the mod. Below the line, the island is just a barren chain of mountains that must be worked.

It looks very bad from afar.

If somebody shows interest, I will add details about my plans for future development of that area.

VOX%20island%20-%20Top%20view.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Status report

Vacation is over and I am pleased to report that I was able to move the mod forward significantly this last month.

The Intro has been weaved with the main mod and I am already (sort of) playing the mod and tying up the loose ends that I find along the way.

The NPCs are behaving as they should, going to work in the morning and returning home in the afternoon and pilling up resources for the next steps in the long journey ahead.

While reviewing my previous AI, I decide to change it drastically, so NPCs may decide to do something else instead of their regular activities (like get sick, close the shop and go to the doctor in the middle of the morning – of course they will only get sick if the population grows and there is no sanitation). Still have to tune the algorithm a bit, thou.

And I still have a number of known tasks to do and loose ends to tie (and an unknown number of bugs to fix), but things are looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, wow.. this is still going!

Cool!

i came here today specifically to request that someone make a "Raven Rock" kind of mod in which a new mine is discovered way out in the boonies and a new boomtown pops up around it, with the player having to do a bunch of quests to help things along. My idea is much simpler than yours. Anyone who ever played Morrowind should know what I mean.

Anyway, this sounds awesome, and I'm glad you're still working on it. Make sure it doesn't need OBSE and its bound to be a smash hit.

Thanks, bluesci

3rdtryguy, this mod is 99% scripting. It has hundreds of scripts and 90% of those scripts need and use one to dozens of OBSE functions.

The mod has thousands of information stored in OBSE arrays. These arrays are pretty much a Relational Data Base with dozens of tables and hundreds of columns.

Buildings and Interiors are created dynamically and, to let you go inside, I need OBSE to dynamically connect the doors.

I need OBSE to dynamically rearrange the path grid, otherwise NPCs would keep bumping into buildings.

I could go on and on…

Besides, without OBSE I would have stopped modding years ago. The vanilla scripting language is so limited that scripting was just a pain. No fun at all. And, scripting Oblivion being my hobby, the fun of it is what keeps me going.

May I ask why you made that statement? Just curious.

• 1 month later...