The Evolving Society Mod

QQuix

The current version of OBSE has been the 0021 or something like it for quite some time now, so you would not need to update it too often (not sure if it will ever again be updated... we shall see). Updating it should be easy, too, as it only comes in a few files that go in the Oblivion game directory. Also all mods working with the old versions will work with the new version, too, although mods using the deprecated commands might cause some issues. And how do you need to remember to launch it before starting the game? You can either launch the game using obse_loader.exe or just launch it through Steam if you have bought it from there (I think it works that way, I have a disc version of Oblivion).

Using OBSE is relatively easy for the user and it makes a lot more possible for people making mods. How come you hate it so much? And how is it difficult to install, update and launch it with the game? Without OBSE a lot of mods would probably have never been made or would not have so many features. And things like Oblivion Stutter Remover and Oblivion Reloaded, as well as some UOP fixes (a training and a jail fix of some sort, it seems) use OBSE.

Something like Morrowind Script Extender - if not using MGE XE - is more like what you described, with having to launch it before the game. And updating is more of an issue with SKSE due to all the scripts it has and the way they are saved in the savegame.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I find it interesting how you do not like it at all. I think I have never 'met' another 'person' who does not like it at all. But then again, I have only been 'around here' for a few years. :D

And the mod sounds very interesting, QQuix. And the fact that the island is not 'generated' the same way as Cyrodiil was, but carefully (?) hand made, makes it much better. :)

Edited by PhilippePetain

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PhilippePetain: my thoughts exactly

WinterTale: Nope . . . still happily going on . . .

But I've been stuck on some mechanics for the last couple of months and was quite unmotivated because all options i could think of did not feel right.

it just happens that when I arrived home a couple of hours ago, the electric company was doing some maintenance in the neighborhood and, without anything else to do, I sat with a candle and a notepad and, somehow, things fell in place and I think I have something robust and elegant to build on.

• 11 months later...

About time for a status report . . .

Soon after the previous post, I did come up with a nice, elegant solution for the production system. By production system I mean the definition of which materials are required to create/upgrade facilities and how much raw material is required to produce one unit of product.

With that set, I had to play the game to see how things would evolve over time, e.g., if there would be a chance of falling into deadlocks like not being able to build a sawmill because there is no food to hire the miller and not being able to produce more food because this requires planks (the product of the sawmill).

Pretty soon it became obvious that this would not work, as the game takes many, many game days to play and I had to play it from the beginning many times.

So I started to accelerate the process (for testing only), eliminating the delays and keeping only the decisions. Even this was not enough, so I decided to create a simulator to make the decisions on the fly and I have been working on it for the last several months.

The simulator evaluates the state of the mod, extrapolates a few things and decides what to do, trying to simulate the player decision process. This way, I can run up to 30 days in a single frame (it takes a few minutes, but I can always alt-tab to a solitaire game or go get a cup of coffee)

Problem is: to evaluate the simulator code I have to analyze its decisions in order to fix/improve/tune it, and the amount of data it handles is HUGE - hundreds of thousands of lines of log in a couple of minutes. (my record is 6+ million lines in a single, long test run).

Even with shadeMe’s Conscribe ability to split the log into multiple files, it still was a pain to go up and down the log looking for meaningful data. So, I went about developing an external application to parse the log data and extract and summarize the mod state, day by day.

All of this is done, but the simulator is not very ‘bright’ yet. Its decisions are not the best ones. I am working on it.

At least, the time spent on the simulator code, may be useful later to implement some type of ‘advisor’ to help the player decide what to do.

• 2 years later...

Pretty much, I am afraid.

A few months after my last post I upgraded to Windows 10 and Oblivion stopped working. The uninstall process went bezerk and I couldn't uninstall nor reinstall it.

By the time I found a solution, I had a new, exciting RL project and never came back to this one.

Since it still needs several month worth of work, it is very unlike I will resume it.