Quests disappearing from journal

XenoAlbedo

I've recently discovered that if you have too many completed quests, any subsequently completed quests will remove the bottom-most quest from both the completed quest list and the active quest list. The quests are still active and playable, just untrackable until the next stage is triggered. Needless to say, this is annoying. Does anyone know of a fix for this, a mod that acts as an alternative quest journal, or a way to delete completed quests from the list?

• 2 weeks later...

I just started having this problem, the only mod I recently added was better vampires. Any clue what the issue is?

No, I don't know what could be causing it. I noticed it happened when I was doing the Forgotten City quest. I reloaded a save and it went back to normal, plus I removed the mod. The issue didn't happen for awhile after that. Then it started again when I was doing the DB quest, talking to the guy in volunruud. I have BV too, but I don't know why it would cause an issue-unless the patch for sacrosanct is causing an issue.

I think I'm having the same problem.

I started playing through the Carved Brink mod/dlc, and at some point randomly checked the quest log to find only 2 Carved Brink quests (no completed quests or anything else).

I checked the quest journal again a bit later and found only the text "No active quests."

This play-through has been going on for quite some time, and I've definitely finished the majority of the vanilla quests, mod quests, dlc mod quests, etc.

So if there is some limit to the amount of information the quest journal can hold, that would make sense.

A fix would be nice though, can't find any via web searches.

I think I'm having the same problem.

I started playing through the Carved Brink mod/dlc, and at some point randomly checked the quest log to find only 2 Carved Brink quests (no completed quests or anything else).

I checked the quest journal again a bit later and found only the text "No active quests."

This play-through has been going on for quite some time, and I've definitely finished the majority of the vanilla quests, mod quests, dlc mod quests, etc.

So if there is some limit to the amount of information the quest journal can hold, that would make sense.

A fix would be nice though, can't find any via web searches.

I couldn't find anything either. I was hoping there was a mod that showed quests in the mcm. I couldn't find any for that though. I really don't want to start a new character, because I have spent 50+ hours on this one already-and I would like to complete a few quests before I stop. I also don't want to start a new one in fear of this happening again.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem. I had many hours into this playthrough when I first noticed it, and it's only gotten worse going forward. The quests still tick off and complete, for example if you find an item the quest has you looking for. But they do not show up in the journal, so you can't refresh your memory or show the markers for the quests.

Something that strikes me is that other posts I'm seeing with this problem are all pretty recent. Seems to me that if there were a limit of 256 quests or something, as I've seen suggested, this would be a complaint going back YEARS.

I've found no fixes, and not even many suggestions to try. One bit of advice from a Reddit poster was to use Fallrim Tools resaver.exe to clean up the save file. Seemed promising, but It didn't do the trick. Maybe someone else knows some java-fu they can share with us?

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/enhycc/quests_are_disappearing_from_journal/

UPDATE AFTER MY LAST POST - After following the advice in the post I'm copying and pasting below, if I advance in a 'missing' quest, it shows up in my journal, but only a finished segment- a quest item found will create a quest entry, but it still doesn't show uncompleted objectives. In this case, other unfound items from that quest.

So this is half a fix? On the right track? Thanks and credit to E_I_RP

• Open console, enter "coc qasmoke", save your game and close it

• Download FallrimTools from the Nexus with it's requirements (just Java)

• Open ReSaver.exe from FallrimTools and load up your latest savegame (the one in qasmoke)

• Select Clean, then remove unattached instances and undefined elements

• Save it overwriting the original, a backup will be made anyway

• Ingame load the latest save, top one as there will be 2 identical

• Open console, enter "coc riverwood" and see if it made a difference