Non Steam copy of a Steam exclusive game

bben46

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The retail version of Skyrim has everything you need to play it, you just need to connect to Steam to validate it. Problem is, it'll try to download all the updates. I suppose people out in the stick would be better off waiting for a GOTY finalized version with all updates included.

You can most likely forget about ever seeing an official non-Steam version. Thank piracy for that.

that has got absolutely nothing to do with piracy

steam doesn't halt piracy, even if you own the game I welcome you to do some searches, since being informed is not illegal in itself

it is perfectly doable to pirate most steam games, the only "problem" that those people may have, comes from non AAA titles that get frequent updates & crack teams might not keep up with the flow of updates ...

popular games like skyrim though ... it's all available for those willing to work toward that goal.

nope the fact is, all games tend to move to internet distribution models (even future console might move to exclusive internet distribution for games)

because more money goes into the developer/editor pocket (even with steam getting their cuts) when you buy a game online & download it, rather than when you buy a game at retail

As I remember it, Stardock CEO, was saying that they made around the same amount of money on internet compared to retail, despite selling a lot more retail copies (around 10x more retail copies)

now obviously this is a special case since Stardock is distributing their own games online with their own digital distribution platform (so no cuts for another platform like Origin or Steam ...)

even so it gives an idea of how things work

Piracy has everything to do with it.

Read this article, in it's entirety, before spouting more unsubstantiated wishful thinking. :armscrossed:

PC Game Piracy Examined.

Piracy is the reason games are so damn expensive these days. I'll give you an example - I got my start in gaming back in the early 80s with an Atari 2600, and games back then cost approx. $20. Nintendo, games started jumping to $30-$35. Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, etc brought the price to $40-$50, and now in the current gen the cost is $60 on average.

Thanks pirates - if Iit was legal to do so, I'd hang them like they did back in the old days.

Edited by chrisinnyshotgun

Piracy is the reason games are so damn expensive these days. I'll give you an example - I got my start in gaming back in the early 80s with an Atari 2600, and games back then cost approx. $20. Nintendo, games started jumping to $30-$35. Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, etc brought the price to $40-$50, and now in the current gen the cost is $60 on average.

Thanks pirates - if Iit was legal to do so, I'd hang them like they did back in the old days.

I wouldn't say that piracy is the only reason that games are more expensive now. The price is also due to a variety of other factors, such as the size of the organization working on the game. The number of people working on a particular game used to be much less, sometimes just a single person. Now they have to charge enough to be able to pay potentially hundreds of people for the thousands of hours of work put into the game.

I've always associated pirates with people who either downloaded or bought torrents or bought the game from a 'black market.' Otherwise, I'm 99% sure you're safe.

Basically, a pirate is anyone who received a video game in a way that doesn't benefit the developers, financially. So, if you got any game in that way, then you're a pirate.

Edited by BeastlyBeast

So..I'm a pirate for having a Fallout 3 non-steam version GFWL? (Disc bought from Walmart..)

Note the topic title: "Steam exclusive game".

Which means "games which require Steam in order to be legally installed/activated." Anyone asking for help with such a game who states "I don't have Steam..." is a pirate, (or the receiver of pirated goods) pure and simple. :armscrossed:

• 4 weeks later...

And the more sales lost because of the DRM.

I used to think this. I even wrote thesis in college on how DRM damages consumer trust in the developers, how it doesn't actually prevent piracy, and how some forms of DRM were so aggressive they actually damaged the end-users machines.

I don't believe that the Steam DRM on Skyrim does any of these things, well, except for actually preventing people from trying to pirate the game. Which comes up when they try to then modify their game, since generally they can't. My response for that? "Go buy the game, and support the makers of it."

I was annoyed at first when the DRM required that my husband and I both own a copy of the game, as many single player games we will just share between us. In the end though, we still bought a second copy of the game, and quite happily play concurrently. Before we did that, we just took turns as to who would play. The Steam DRM isn't a model for DRM boycotting, it will not damage your computer by it being there, and a lot of users will already use Steam to download games. This primarily ensures that we get the updates right away, how is that a bad thing?

Yes it does. Steam is a marketing tool nothing more. They are one step away from putting popups inside the game just like TV commercials. I am far from being a pirate or hacker, I have a receipt for every game I own, which are in the hundreds. Steam is not printed on the game I bought from Gamestop, I thought I was buying a self contained game disc. I did not KNOW I had to install Steam and DOWNLOAD Skyrim. I hate Steam with ever hair on my body.

Also if you do not think these tactics take their toll on legitimate consumers you are mistaken, take Metalica as an example. Their sales crashed after they went on their crusade against pirates... where are they now?

Metallica was going out the door before Napster came about. Steam is an excellent DRM feature that is poorly executed. Them being able to beam commercials at you in the game? I don't think that's happening, also it'd be counter porductive to their service and lose them money.

Edited by Kuroitsune