Shiny body when Equipping/Unequipping/Loading

alfirin657

I sometimes see the vets disparaging Vortex and SE methodology and encouraging people to behave as if this was LE and the time was 2014.... And it kinda bugs me, because I've never once experienced the stuff they claim is going on and have used Vortex the entire time I've been playing. (started playing in ~feb of 2019) I respect their opinions on some things, but I see a clear bias that comes from them and I feel a certain busybody need to battle it. I don't know how Vortex was 2 years ago. I do know how it's been over the past ~year. Pretty darned solid.
So much this. I'm currently running 410 mods, every one of them handled by Vortex. I do not understand the obvious undercurrent (sometimes not so under) of hatred and disparagement based on untruths and fake assumptions about Vortex, but most of the shade cast on Vortex is just plain ignorant, and false.

PS: I tried to use the forum Quote system so the quote above would have attribution, but it's not working today, so if you want to know who said it, go look- it's among the first 10 posts in this thread.

Well! I have absolutely no idea who that jerk is, but I will say that in this humble anonymous person's opinion he's right. been going on three years for *me* and Vortex is working like a champ :tongue:

And for anyone triggered by my presumptive use of pronoun above, I STRONGLY suspect he's a he, even if he likes watching the swaying rear end of a she in third person far far more than the back side of a he, which he can already see in his own bathroom mirror and from what I've heard ain't all that impressed by the view, (with admitted difficulty and lots of twisting, but whatever... )

PS> You getting anywhere with that shiny skin issue? Anyway... one quick workaround suggestion while you iron it out. (if you haven't already). It can often be temporarily resolved (until it rears its head again) by dodging into racemenu, allowing the proper skin wrap to be reestablished, then exiting. I've found A Change of Face helps to expedite easy use of racemenu, since no new save vector is established while exiting the routine. (fyi, fwiw, etc)

- I have the intermittent issue with a CCA - Copy Character Appearance - player vector that goes into shiny skin mode with some routine when I'm using that vector, so A Change of Face comes in handy at least once every few sessions

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS> You getting anywhere with that shiny skin issue? Anyway... one quick workaround suggestion while you iron it out. (if you haven't already). It can often be temporarily resolved (until it rears its head again) by dodging into racemenu, allowing the proper skin wrap to be reestablished, then exiting. I've found A Change of Face helps to expedite easy use of racemenu, since no new save vector is established while exiting the routine. (fyi, fwiw, etc)

- I have the intermittent issue with a CCA - Copy Character Appearance - player vector that goes into shiny skin mode with some routine when I'm using that vector, so A Change of Face comes in handy at least once every few sessions

No, thanks, I haven't solved it yet and it is driving me nuts. I tried copying femalebody_1_s.dds to estrusfemalebody_1_s.dds as one or two users reported as a fix, but it didn't fix my game. I've never had "estrus body" installed anyway... nobody who has ever actually experienced it would want it in their games... :ohmy:

I tried starting several new characters (thank you, ASLAL!) without any jslot preset and it seems to fix the issue but I can't stand to look at myself! What's the point of implementing a "fix" that renders the game unpleasant, hence unplayable? I already had A Change of Face but it was disabled for some reason. I just reactivated it, and as soon as I rebuild my Bashed Patch, I'll test to see if it fixes my shiny bits.

And to anyone who keeps insisting that all the requirements of a preset are listed in RM when you look at the preset, I would offer a couple of slight corrections to that statement: all of the required MODS that the preset author KNOWINGLY introduced SHOULD BE listed. That's an awful lot of woulda-coulda-shoulda "weasel words" and not anything at all as cut-and-dried as a flat claim that all the requirements of a preset are listed when you look at it in RM. It's simply not true, or, as you said above, not necessarily true.

Clearly, a rogue SKIN OVERRIDE accidentally embedded in the jslot is neither a MOD nor has it been KNOWINGLY introduced into the jslot- which is why it may not be listed as a requirement.

Thanks again for your helpful response. :thumbsup: :wub:

• 11 months later...

little update for anyone having this issue and wonders if in 2022 it's the same problem.

TLDR : it is

However... I had a slight variant of the fix I figured would be worth reporting.

> I did have various versions of the Estrus mod and scanning the dds files I had a mismash of texture files.

> I did not have any jslot files and (pardon my ignorance) it took some googling to figure out why, so as I said above this post is for folks like me to save some research time.

I fixed the problem pretty much as folks have written but with a few additions.

1. In game I saved my characters appearance via 'showracemenu' in the console, then preset and save a new one. This created the jslot file they are referring to (and yes I know you wise folks know this already).

2. The new jslot file lives here in your skyrim directory (\Data\skse\plugins\CharGen\Presets). If you can't see that folder it didn't save, try again.

3. Editing that new jslot file I found the skinoverrides section mentioned. However mines had nothing in the "data" section ("data" : "",).

4. I added the normal female dds file path into that location ( "data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\femalebody_1_s.dds",)

5. In game I then went back into 'showracemenu' and loaded that preset onto my character.

Boom... problem solved.

Hope that helps!

Edited by davesnuthouse

• 3 weeks later...

Another solution then is to go to where your character's body ddc is (in the above it would textures\actors\character\female\femalebody_1_s.dds. Make a copy of that dds file in the same folder and rename it to estrusfemalebody_1_s.dds or whatever your racemenu character file was trying to call out.

Hey there,

I have the exact same issue, and I think I fixed it. I first encountered it when loading presets in Race Menu. Strangely, older presets (like 2 years old) didn't have this issue. Comparing the jslot files, I found that the newer ones have a section with the following:

"skinOverrides" : [
{
"firstPerson" : false,
"slotMask" : 4,
"values" : [
{
"data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\estrusfemalebody_1_s.dds",
"index" : 7,
"key" : 9,
"type" : 2
}
]
}
That's a specular texture that doesn't exist on my computer, so I can only guess that is some issue introduced by Racemenu. Since the texture doesn't exist, you just get 100% shiny. What you can do is delete that section (open in notepad then do a search for "skinOverrides") from your present. Then reload the preset and problem solved.

I tried this but the game doesn't recognize the file after I edited the file... :sad:

could you not go into the Jslot and simply change what its referencing to femalebody_1_s.dds instead of Estrusfemalebody_1_s.dds for each problem preset rather than create a whole new file? because the line "data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\estrusfemalebody_1_s.dds", is what the racemenu mod uses to find the file that it needs to use in connection with that Preset mod.

This is the correct solution, I just replace the empty data field with this path textures\\actors\\character\\female\\femalebody_1_s.dds and it works but you have to do it for all of your presets one by one if you want them all to solve this issue. Just make sure you reload your preset once you are back in game after editting the preset jslot file