How do you change the numbers on a vault suit

The title asks it all. I'm looking to keep the vanilla vault suit style but with a custom number. Specifically 784...I have the texture and I got it to show up on my Armor Addon as 784 on the back of the suit but everywhere else in the creation kit it says 111 and when I test it in game the number on the back is 81...I've been looking for what I missed for 2 days to no avail. I have to be missing something obvious as all the guides I can find ignore changing the number like it should be obvious and go into great detail about how to create a custom suit when all I want to do is change the number. could someone direct me to a guide specifically for changing the number or walk me through it?

edit the texture files in something like photoshop and then tie the new file to a copy of the vault suit

I've already created the textures, then used the textures to create Materials, used the materials to create a Material Swap, used the material Swap to create the Armor Addon which displays 784 on the vault suit. However when I use the addon to create the actual armor it still says 111 when placed on an Actor. I looked and 81 also says 111 when placed on an actor in the creation kit. So I thought that's just how it is and tested it in game and in the game it says 81. So I double checked my files and they're all for 784 so I have no idea how it even says 81. So I'm clearly missing something obvious and I have no idea what.

Heyas Thors!

Ok, this is one of those cases where I only know enough of what you're talking about, to get myself in trouble.

Are you looking to have this as a number that you can swap in game, to say, change the 111 to 784, or are you wanting this as a replacer for the 111 all together?

I know that AndrewCX, the maker of the UCO and a lot of other mods on bethesda has a working system for swapping the vault numbers on the vault suits. But, it has to be done on an armor bench.

That has got me to wondering, if the 81 decal is there by default, and for whatever reason, it needs to be swapped with your custom decal. Or a method has to be placed to manually swap it out, in game, or via NMM or something.

Andrew USED to have his customizeable vault suits here on the nexus and I would have pointed you out to them to try to reverse engineer what you're trying to do. It appears tho, that he's removed them since starting to sell them through the creation crud.

So from a quick browse with xEdit, it seems that Vault 111 is the default suit and every other variant is a material swap switching out two bgsm's.

Take the material swap Vaultsuit95Clean

it has both -

Original:

"clothes\vaultsuit\vaultsuitdirtym.bgsm"

to:

"clothes\vaultsuit\vaultsuitcleanm.bgsm"

and

Original:

"clothes\vaultsuit\vaultsuitmnumber111dirty.bgsm"

to:

"Clothes\VaultSuit\vaultsuitMnumber95.bgsm"

Once you have those both done just make sure it attached to the new suit correctly (it'd just copy the property from another suit in xEdit and change the MSWP if you're unsure).

Thats about all I got, hope this helps!

Heyas Thors!

Ok, this is one of those cases where I only know enough of what you're talking about, to get myself in trouble.

Are you looking to have this as a number that you can swap in game, to say, change the 111 to 784, or are you wanting this as a replacer for the 111 all together?

I know that AndrewCX, the maker of the UCO and a lot of other mods on bethesda has a working system for swapping the vault numbers on the vault suits. But, it has to be done on an armor bench.

That has got me to wondering, if the 81 decal is there by default, and for whatever reason, it needs to be swapped with your custom decal. Or a method has to be placed to manually swap it out, in game, or via NMM or something.

Andrew USED to have his customizeable vault suits here on the nexus and I would have pointed you out to them to try to reverse engineer what you're trying to do. It appears tho, that he's removed them since starting to sell them through the creation crud.

Looking to replace the 111 for 784 altogether, and I already looked into that customizable vault suit thing and it only goes up to 120 otherwise I would just do that but I don't want to have to spend money just to have to alter it in the creation kit in the end anyways

So from a quick browse with xEdit, it seems that Vault 111 is the default suit and every other variant is a material swap switching out two bgsm's.

Take the material swap Vaultsuit95Clean

it has both -

Original:

"clothes\vaultsuit\vaultsuitdirtym.bgsm"

to:

"clothes\vaultsuit\vaultsuitcleanm.bgsm"

and

Original:

"clothes\vaultsuit\vaultsuitmnumber111dirty.bgsm"

to:

"Clothes\VaultSuit\vaultsuitMnumber95.bgsm"

Once you have those both done just make sure it attached to the new suit correctly (it'd just copy the property from another suit in xEdit and change the MSWP if you're unsure).

Thats about all I got, hope this helps!

Yeah I know I already created a material swap and successfully applied the material swap to the armor addon. From there though nothing seems to work the way it's supposed too....it's maddening...I'll try again in Xedit see if that helps thanks for that tip...let you know how it goes.

I think material swaps are not needed.

Just take a vault suite from Fallout 4 (incl. the material, mesh and texture files) and combine it with your own texture.

Of course, you need to correct the texture paths and so on in the material file for it and in the mesh files via nifskope.

How you can do this, you can watch here:

I have make my own vault suite exactly on this way and it has worked (with the number 146).

Hope I could help with this.

Edited by taryl80

Solved it...I forgot when creating the armor from the armor addon to put my vault suit under the property modifiers under object template...I knew it was something obvious I was missing...the reason why it said 81 in game...because I used an 81 vault suit as the base for mine and edited it for 784 and forgot to change that one thing...thanks for the help everyone and a special thanks to lilkandeekid...looked at the properties in FO4Edit and saw where it still said Vault 81...loaded up the Creation Kit and changed that one thing...that one thing that was super obvious and I forgot to do...seriously blanked on that for 2 days...feel free to call me an idiot for this...anyways it works now...says 784 in game

Edited by ThorsHammer9999