CTD whenever game saves [modded game]

nbucilini

I'm not gonna say anything about Vortex except that I tried it recently for the second time from christmas until the first week of January and I dumped it again and went back to Nexus Mod Manager. Try BethINI (sorts out your ini file and cleans it from entries that might have stayed behind from uninstalled mods) and if that doesn't solve anything you might try LOOT from a separate install (LOOT is integrated into Vortex but my experience is that it acts slightly different when used on its own). If things stay borked it's back to old-school solving by uninstalling (not deactivating) one mod at a time until you catch the culprit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not gonna say anything about Vortex except that I tried it recently for the second time from christmas until the first week of January and I dumped it again and went back to Nexus Mod Manager. Try BethINI (sorts out your ini file and cleans it from entries that might have stayed behind from uninstalled mods) and if that doesn't solve anything you might try LOOT from a separate install (LOOT is integrated into Vortex but my experience is that it acts slightly different when used on its own). If things stay borked it's back to old-school solving by uninstalling (not deactivating) one mod at a time until you catch the culprit.

Is there an easy way to transfer my mods from vortex to NMM and/or LOOT? I tried BethINI but it didn't solve the problem..

Is there an easy way to transfer my mods from vortex to NMM and/or LOOT? I tried BethINI but it didn't solve the problem..

Not that I know of. Vortex has an import-from-NMM function but not the other way round. LOOT can be started from inside NMM. All you have to do is hit the tiny arrow of 'Supported Tools' (right of the search box) top middle of NMM's interface and surf to the location that has the LOOT exe. When clicking the exe of LOOT itself you'll have to tell LOOT which game you want the load order sorted of. NMM must be closed before running LOOT because NMM doesn't like when its plugins swap places thanks to an exterior program while it is open. NMM has a mod sorting function too but I'm used to LOOT and never used it.

From christmas til last week I re-installed all my mods six times (over five-hundred of them) so I know what it's like having to start from scratch...

Not that I know of. Vortex has an import-from-NMM function but not the other way round. LOOT can be started from inside NMM. All you have to do is hit the tiny arrow of 'Supported Tools' (right of the search box) top middle of NMM's interface and surf to the location that has the LOOT exe. When clicking the exe of LOOT itself you'll have to tell LOOT which game you want the load order sorted of. NMM must be closed before running LOOT because NMM doesn't like when its plugins swap places thanks to an exterior program while it is open. NMM has a mod sorting function too but I'm used to LOOT and never used it.

From christmas til last week I re-installed all my mods six times (over five-hundred of them) so I know what it's like having to start from scratch...

Ok, thanks. I'll try to find the mods themselves in my files but if I can't I'll redownload them... I only have 83 mods and I likely won't reinstall a lot of them so it shouldn't be so bad. I'll report back here once it's done.

I'm trying to get LOOT to detect SSE but it's not working. I tried manually showing the install path to the SSE main folder but it still didn't work. There's another text box where it wants to know the install path registry key, but I'm not sure where that is.

Can't remember how to use LOOT outside of NMM as that's the only way I start LOOT. Can also not replicate your situation as LOOT already has all the games associated with it, so, when I hit LOOT's exe it automatically starts with the last game I used it on through NMM.

Also don't have a clue why it would ask for a Windows registry key. Are you sure you installed the user's version of LOOT?

Can't remember how to use LOOT outside of NMM as that's the only way I start LOOT. Can also not replicate your situation as LOOT already has all the games associated with it, so, when I hit LOOT's exe it automatically starts with the last game I used it on through NMM.

Also don't have a clue why it would ask for a Windows registry key. Are you sure you installed the user's version of LOOT?

I was able to get LOOT working, I was just doing it wrong. I'll redownload all my mods then let ya know if it worked.

I was able to get LOOT working, I was just doing it wrong. I'll redownload all my mods then let ya know if it worked.

A-ha. Progress. Good to hear. :wink:

So I've reinstalled everything (I think) but how do I get NMM to override Vortex in terms of mods to activate. Like I have some mods on Vortex I've chosen not to add to NMM, is there a way to make only the NMM mods load?

So I've reinstalled everything (I think) but how do I get NMM to override Vortex in terms of mods to activate. Like I have some mods on Vortex I've chosen not to add to NMM, is there a way to make only the NMM mods load?

Never, ever, EVER use Vortex and NMM together on the same game because you're entering a world of mod-pain. They both will deactivate each other's plugins because they both access the same folders where savegames and plugin lists are stored and you'll end up with a whole mess.

Mods added to NMM don't necessarlily need to be installed. I have almost seven-thousand mods in NMM for Fallout 4 alone. Currently got 2018 for Skyrim SE. Vortex and NMM use a completely different folder structure for installing mods, so, adding the mods to NMM will not interfere with Vortex install folders. But Vortex WILL screw-up NMM's plugins by adding its own to NMM and you'll be left with the problem that NMM shows installed plugins of which the mods aren't installed. If you no longer use Vortex for SSE, then delete the game from Vortex and do away with the mods you installed through Vortex.