CTD whenever game saves [modded game]

nbucilini

Can't remember how to use LOOT outside of NMM as that's the only way I start LOOT. Can also not replicate your situation as LOOT already has all the games associated with it, so, when I hit LOOT's exe it automatically starts with the last game I used it on through NMM.

Also don't have a clue why it would ask for a Windows registry key. Are you sure you installed the user's version of LOOT?

I was able to get LOOT working, I was just doing it wrong. I'll redownload all my mods then let ya know if it worked.

A-ha. Progress. Good to hear. :wink:

So I've reinstalled everything (I think) but how do I get NMM to override Vortex in terms of mods to activate. Like I have some mods on Vortex I've chosen not to add to NMM, is there a way to make only the NMM mods load?

Never, ever, EVER use Vortex and NMM together on the same game because you're entering a world of mod-pain. They both will deactivate each other's plugins because they both access the same folders where savegames and plugin lists are stored and you'll end up with a whole mess.

Mods added to NMM don't necessarlily need to be installed. I have almost seven-thousand mods in NMM for Fallout 4 alone. Currently got 2018 for Skyrim SE. Vortex and NMM use a completely different folder structure for installing mods, so, adding the mods to NMM will not interfere with Vortex install folders. But Vortex WILL screw-up NMM's plugins by adding its own to NMM and you'll be left with the problem that NMM shows installed plugins of which the mods aren't installed. If you no longer use Vortex for SSE, then delete the game from Vortex and do away with the mods you installed through Vortex.

Ah, so that's why plugins automatically showed up in NMM. I already launched the game with both of them (but obviously didn't save cause crashes) so am I irreparably bopped? And should I just delete the plugins that were already there in NMM and redownload them?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to start from scratch after the fight between Vortex and NMM because I ended-up with 385 plugins in NMM and lost oversight of what was what. My stupidity was running two versions of SSE installed in two different locations and wanting to try the updated version of SSE to see if mods I had would work on it and because of the profiles not working like they should in NMM I decided to mod the updated install with Vortex. I completely overlooked the fact I mentioned earlier of both Vortex and NMM of course sharing the same folders for data stored outside the game.

If you know which plugins got added by Vortex, you can simply delete those from the game's Data folder, but in my case Vortex also replaced the plugins NMM also had and in some cases I had purple-pink Textures in the game which means missing textures, which in turn means that NMM somehow lost connection between the plugin and the files that come with it. Hence me sweating over re-installs for three weeks...

I'm still in therapy after that :D

Alas, the problem appears to be solved! I switched to NMM/LOOT, deleted SSE out of Vortex and reinstalled most of my mods and now my game works again! Thanks man, I owe ya one

Edit: Holdup, the issue has returned. I was able to play through the rest of the Dragonborn DLC wihtout issue, but back in the mainland after a bit the issue returned....

Edited by nbucilini

it sounds like your issue isn't which manager you use, but something else. An errant mod, conflicting mods, trying to load too much environment (ie, extending your LOD beyond the capability of your equipment), too many rich (4K/8K) textures, too many mods, too many animations, etc

I had to reduce my LOD (I believe that's what it's called) after my game was CTDing with regularity earlier last summer. Game worked great but distant trees etc weren't being loaded, so this fall I tried bumping it up again....more CTDs, reduced it again and I was back to playing without issue.

Not saying these ARE your issues, just suggesting that you look beyond things like which mod manager you're using.

How would I go about reducing that? Also it was working fine until I tried to take out a mod on bethesda.net called 'Immortal Dragonborn" cause it was causing some issues. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I somehow fixed it and was playing up until now when the game crashed upon me entering a cave.

As I recall it (this particular issue of LOD, IFF it applies) has to do with uLargeRefLODGridSize in skyrimPrefs.ini and/or uGridsToLoad in skyrim.ini, AND possibly fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS

I'm getting those simply from scanning my ini files and seeing values I ~kinda recognize.

I'm sorry but offhand I don't remember the nitty gritty details. As I recall there was some calculation you need to make to get to the right values for your system.

Hopefully someone who has a clearer head than I do right now will see my post and correct and/or augment what I'm alluding to. (suffering from pretty bad spasms due to an old injury that has flaired up over the past few weeks, but I digress)

Maybe Jim might have some helpful info on that. He seems pretty savvy and he might recognize what I'm talking about. The general idea behind that particular bottleneck failure is that too much stuff is being loaded, causing the system to go into an overload state (either processor peaks out, or memory spikes beyond the systems' capability).

But whatever is going on, I kinda doubt it has anything to do with your manager. There are a variety of things that could result in your CTDs, and loading too much environment is only one of several different ways the game can go unstable.

FWIW, as I recall, the fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS has to do with allowing the buffers to stabilize after a cell change.

and not that I recommend using my settings, (I have a 6G 1060 video card) but :

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS = 36000, so it causes a pause in my game when switching cells. (A visually long one when getting off the boat to solstheim in either direction, but not so bad elsewhere, or at least not as annoying, since the game literally pauses for several second after the boat arrives at either dock while the deckmates are telling you "talk to whats his name" (the captain)

uLargeRefLODGridSize = 11

uGridsToLoad = 5

good luck.

Please, don't start messing with uGridstoload because the changes are irreversible without re-installing the game. Be also aware that Skyrim SE isn't without flaws and has the occasional CTD for no good reason other than being a Bethesda game. I experience a crash to desktop once in a while, but when I reload the last save the crash doesn't repeat itself in the spot where it happened before.

CTDs can also be caused by external apps. I now have deactivated the AMD Adrenalin 2020 (GPU driver software) overlay because it does things to the game in the background that can cause a crash when the game is autosaving or during a transition from an inside to an outside cell. The overlay also has key combinations used by the RaceMenu 'Camera' option. I ended-up halfway to Markarth when taking a pic in whiterun because I used the 'alt+e' keys to zoom-in on my character.

For some people MSI Afterburner causes problams. I've been using it for almost twenty years and never had an issue.

But what Anjenthedog says is also right. A lot can be done to Skyrim SE, modwise, but the Creation Engine is ten years old meanwhile and too many HD mods can put a strain on the game and crash it. This often happens during cell transitions when the V-RAM is put to the test when having to load the textures of the cell you're entering. Installing Boris Gudonov's binaries can help but it doesn't work miracles.

I have a fairly robust PC for gaming and I tend to keep to 1024 or 2048 textures max. I play in 1080p anyway.

I have a fairly robust PC for gaming and I tend to keep to 1024 or 2048 textures max. I play in 1080p anyway.

as well.. I think I have one 4k texture. but the rest are 2k or vanilla (presumably 1k) 6G video, 64G main, and 9700k proc, although I doubt it's optimized for gaming, since I've never been much of a gamer. (I usually buy my PCs for workstation use, ie, programming, CAD, image analysis, astrophotography, etc)

I wasn't aware that uGridstoload was permanent, but I'll keep that in mind going forward. thanks.

And yes, I also get occasional CTDs but they're random and infrequent, unlike many folks who post and say things like "I ctd every time I get near <insert location> " or "I CTD whenever I talk to <insert NPC name>".

I just experienced a crash where my drivers gave up. I was expecting a shutdown of the game anyway as I saw that memory use was getting sky-high, like, almost 9GB on the GPU and over 8GB on system RAM. It's something that happens quite often when having tons of mods like me. I mean, I have 531 mods installed with 288 plugins (253 esp/esm). That's around 250 texture replacers of 2 and 4K. Base game has 512 and 1024 textures for the most.

I'm monitoring V-RAM and system RAM use through MSI Afterburner which shows its stuff on the small display on my keyboard (Logitech G19). CPU and GPU temps are also on it. GPU has 'only' 8GB of HBM RAM but I've set the Radeon software to use 12GB. A bit like ENBoost does. Nevertheless the game croaks every time the GPU goes over its max V-RAM. Maybe I'll have to edit-in ENBoost's settings for V-RAM use into the enblocal.ini of the ENB preset I use.