Hearthfire - Can't Buy Land in Morthal

AurianaValoria1

As it says on the tin, I can't buy a plot of land in Morthal. Yes, I have completed all of the required quests, and the option does not show up in the steward's dialogue. No Housecarl, even though I am already Thane.

I think I could fix it with the console if I knew the quest ID's, but they aren't on UESP.

Well, I'm level 81... :P

Is there a way I could find out how to trigger the "quest" for building...like the others, where you get a quest marker after purchasing the land?

Have you definitely done Laid To Rest? I got the option to purchase from the steward right after that. Some accounts say that you actually have to be Thane already to purchase the land in Hjaalmarch.

Yes, I've done both. I'm Thane and have completed Laid To Rest. Both of those were done before I even got Hearthfire...which, you know, may be part of the problem... *scratches head*

OK, it seems to be happening with every third property I try to buy.

With my first char, it was Morthal - after already purchasing the Dawnstar and Falkreath properties.

Now, with another char, I was able to buy the ones in Morthal and Dawnstar - but the third stop, Falkreath, won't show up. Same case as before.

• 3 months later...

To buy the plot of land in Morthal you can be any level, First you must complete 'Laid To Rest' quest and then assist two people in Morthal. The easy way to do this is cut wood and sell it to the lumber mill and do this other quest delivering a note for Idgrod the Younger to Danica Pure-Spring in Whiterun. From there you should be able to buy the plot of land after becoming thane.

I wish I could be of help Auriana, but I don't know the quest codes for Morthal, either. I know I had a similar issue with Falkreath Hold where the Jarl disliked me for some reason. I had to reset his reputation towards me and reload. Perhaps that's related? I've heard that buying the houses after the Civil War can really throw things through the wall.