Offline use and Windows XP.

eMirror

Hi, I build an old computer with Windows XP for using it for old good games, like Fallout 3 and Oblivion, and even more olders. I use WXP for compatibility (games made for W98 works perfect here, in W7 crash or run with a lot of glish) and performances reasons (more resources for use with mods). For security reason (it's WXP without any antivirus, too risky) that computer don't have internet connection. I want to use Vortex because it's support many of the games that I installed.

I have three questions to do, before download Vortex:

• ¿Vortex works even without any internet connections (install Vortex inselft, don't need singin for use, etc.)?
  • ¿Vortex works on Windows XP SP3?
  • If not, the old NMM could works, or it's the same?

Thanks in advance.

Also, what's wrong with the chat? I didn't want to create the thread, but the chat just doesn't open.

Edited by eMirror

OK - I think Vortex has a missing section in FAQ and Knowledge Base.

I can find nothing on Requirements.

I run a 64 bit version of Vortex. As far as I know, a 32 bit version does not exist.

I think that would kill it on Windows XP. There are also a lot of recent windows libraries required. Those don't exist on XP.

Graphic cards have come a long long way since XP level support - and gotten cheaper.

My recommendation - repurpose your XP system as a file server. Should work fine as a big disk farm - and be isolated from the internet.

Pick up a used Tower for cheap, add a current gen video card, and enjoy a much more reliable and better looking Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

eMirror,

For the case if Vortex installation in Windows XP fail, just a reminder that there is virtualization. It's possible to install Vortex in Windows 7 (or 10) in Virtualbox in Windows XP and to configure a shared folder (with Fallout, Oblivion in it) for both: the native XP and the virtualized 7 (or 10). You'll need a Virtualbox version compatible with Windows XP. 3D features of Virtualbox are very limited, so the game must be in the host, not in the guest.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27963

Edit: About Win10 I'm not sure, but Win7 will work inside XP, as it's seen on the linked page.

Edit2: Vortex requires the game to be installed on the same disk as Vortex itself, and shared folders in the Virtualbox guest are network folders, so it's not so easy, but possible, with copy-pasting the game folders or installing Vortex to the shared folder...

Edited by shumkar

(...)

I run a 64 bit version of Vortex. As far as I know, a 32 bit version does not exist.

I think that would kill it on Windows XP. There are also a lot of recent windows libraries required. Those don't exist on XP.

Actually, there's a Windows XP x64 Edition (which it's really a Windows Server 2003, the same base for Windows Vista), and have WOW64, so technically that's not a problem. But, for compatibility reason, I still use 32 bits.

In the GitHub page I see that uses Python 2.7, that's Windows XP compatible. But also use Visual Studio 2017, what I suppose that needs Visual C++ 2015/2019, that's don't works on Windows XP. Maybe downgrading that could works, but I that's a lot of troubles.

(...)

Graphic cards have come a long long way since XP level support - and gotten cheaper.

My recommendation - repurpose your XP system as a file server. Should work fine as a big disk farm - and be isolated from the internet.

Pick up a used Tower for cheap, add a current gen video card, and enjoy a much more reliable and better looking Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

I use one of my computers for play PSone/PS2 games through a local network in my PS2 console (using POPs and Open Loader), it's really cool!

It's are on my plans to buy a good Graphics Card with Windows XP support for play all those games with mods that improves all the visual things.

eMirror,

For the case if Vortex installation in Windows XP fail, just a reminder that there is virtualization. It's possible to install Vortex in Windows 7 (or 10) in Virtualbox in Windows XP and to configure a shared folder (with Fallout, Oblivion in it) for both: the native XP and the virtualized 7 (or 10). You'll need a Virtualbox version compatible with Windows XP. 3D features of Virtualbox are very limited, so the game must be in the host, not in the guest.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27963

Edit: About Win10 I'm not sure, but Win7 will work inside XP, as it's seen on the linked page.

Edit2: Vortex requires the game to be installed on the same disk as Vortex itself, and shared folders in the Virtualbox guest are network folders, so it's not so easy, but possible, with copy-pasting the game folders or installing Vortex to the shared folder...

With a AMD-V or Intel VT compatible CPU, you could use Virtual Box with any OS, even if you have x86 and the virtualize OS are x64: http://www.redusers.com/noticias/trucos/virtualizar-x64-en-x86/

But that's a lot of trouble just for modding. I gonna use Mod Organizer for the Bethesda games meanwhile. Thanks to you two.

Edited by eMirror

For the case if Vortex installation in Windows XP fail, just a reminder that there is virtualization. It's possible to install Vortex in Windows 7 (or 10) in Virtualbox in Windows XP and to configure a shared folder (with Fallout, Oblivion in it) for both: the native XP and the virtualized 7 (or 10). You'll need a Virtualbox version compatible with Windows XP...

Edit: About Win10 I'm not sure, but Win7 will work inside XP, as it's seen on the linked page...

With a AMD-V or Intel VT compatible CPU, you could use Virtual Box with any OS, even if you have x86 and the virtualize OS are x64: http://www.redusers.com/noticias/trucos/virtualizar-x64-en-x86/

Yes, I know. When I wrote that I'm not sure about Win10, I meant the Virtualbox specifics:

In order to enable a shared folder (what you'd need), Virtualbox guest additions must be installed inside the guest OS; in order to be installed on a host with Windows XP, Virtualbox should be (I guess) of an older version; in order to support Virtualbox guest additions for Windows 10, Virtualbox should be (sure) of a newer version. It's a question of finding the proper Virtualbox version...

Edit:

La última versión de VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads), por ejemplo (nuestro hipervisor prefe­rido), es compatible con casi todos los sistemas operativos existentes

If the latest version can be installed in XP, then no problem!

But that's a lot of trouble just for modding.

It's you to decide. With Virtualbox, you'd be able to use not only a mod manager, also other programs that cannot run in Windows XP.

Edited by shumkar