creating a quest but there are no markers

couple questions:

ive created a follower quest but every time i go to test it i do not get any quest markers at all. i advance through the quest no problem. i have read somewhere that in SSE the scripts need to be ex: (10, 1) instead of (10) like in LE. been following M1LL3RBOYs youtube videos to do it.

another thing, i was trying to make part of the quest where one has to find a note and after reading it they advance to next stage. but i couldnt get that to work either.

if anyone has a few minutes to shed some light on what im missing then please respond or message me.

You gotta add aliases for each object or actor you want to put a marker for. Then in the quest objectives tab mark the appropriate Target Alias.

I guess CK Objectives and CK Alias, and a youtube link that starts off with aliases would help better, I guess...

happy modding...

edit: Dialog Views shouldn't have any impact on quest markers, though. Are you sure you have set the aliases correctly? If you want to unlock a marker upon an actor talking about it, then just put a condition to that objective after setting the marker and alias for that actor and your marked target (where your quest marker is).

Edited by a1berik660

What a1berik660 is true, but there could be other issues involved here. First, if the marker is in a cell beyond a load door, you need to have 'Markers ignore locks' set on the quest objective (if you want the marker to show the nearest laod cell door to the place that the quest objective is in).

If that was the issue, you should at least see the quest marker once you enter the cell that the object is in.

Next, I'd ask how you are testing this? If you are altering things in CK and using the same save to test, that can cause all manner of things to go wrong.

As for the note problem, be sure to select the correct script to add to the note and assign it's properties. There are two variants of the vanilla script that sets a quest stage 'OnCloseBook'. One is for quest aliases, the other is for books placed in the render window and not quest aliases. If you used the wrong one, that is likely why that is not working.

Personally, I prefer to add scripts like this to quest aliases, so that I can create the book 'in a reference' only when the quest is active. That has a couple of advantages. 1, it means the player can't accidentally find the note and trigger an inappropriate stage of a quest and 2, the reference is removed once the quest is done.

What a1berik660 is true, but there could be other issues involved here. First, if the marker is in a cell beyond a load door, you need to have 'Markers ignore locks' set on the quest objective (if you want the marker to show the nearest laod cell door to the place that the quest objective is in).

If that was the issue, you should at least see the quest marker once you enter the cell that the object is in.

Next, I'd ask how you are testing this? If you are altering things in CK and using the same save to test, that can cause all manner of things to go wrong.

As for the note problem, be sure to select the correct script to add to the note and assign it's properties. There are two variants of the vanilla script that sets a quest stage 'OnCloseBook'. One is for quest aliases, the other is for books placed in the render window and not quest aliases. If you used the wrong one, that is likely why that is not working.

Personally, I prefer to add scripts like this to quest aliases, so that I can create the book 'in a reference' only when the quest is active. That has a couple of advantages. 1, it means the player can't accidentally find the note and trigger an inappropriate stage of a quest and 2, the reference is removed once the quest is done.

i have been testing with saved game. but on the save that didnt have this mod started i would go to the npc that starts it and the dialogs are not there.

where does one find the scripts and what they do? like a wiki or somthing.

heres the quick outline of what im trying to accomplish:

Adrianne in whiterun starts quest, she tells one to find Amren in whiterun for second part, he tells one to find Embry in Riverwood who tells one to find the note that gives the last part of the quest that leads one to the follower.

so there are no doors one has to go through for the quest.

so it would be better to script the aliases for all than to add them in the Dialog views? or just the note?

edit: Dialog Views shouldn't have any impact on quest markers, though. Are you sure you have set the aliases correctly? If you want to unlock a marker upon an actor talking about it, then just put a condition to that objective after setting the marker and alias for that actor and your marked target (where your quest marker is).

my Aliases are set to the npc's as "uniqueactor" but i dont know how to figure out the conditions. i been trying to find somewhere that explains what they are and do.

i also wanted to add, my .pex files are going to data/scripts and my .psc files going to data/source/scripts

Which is what they are supposed to do. In Skyrim LE, the *.pex go to the data/scripts directory while *.psc files go to the data/scripts/source.

The *.psc files go to the directories you mentioned in Skyrim SE. The fact that the directory changed doesn't make much sense in my opinion but I don't think it affects anything at all.

my Aliases are set to the npc's as "uniqueactor" but i dont know how to figure out the conditions. i been trying to find somewhere that explains what they are and do.

The conditions should go to the Quest Objectives tab, upon selecting the correct objective and setting up the alias on which the quest marker should show up. Also, don't forget to set the flags for aliases "uses stored text" and "stores text". This way your quest objective becomes something like this: "Find <Alias=ActorAlias> in <Alias=LocAlias>." where actoralias is a ref alias and localias is a location alias.

i have been testing with saved game. but on the save that didnt have this mod started i would go to the npc that starts it and the dialogs are not there.

where does one find the scripts and what they do? like a wiki or somthing.

heres the quick outline of what im trying to accomplish:

Adrianne in whiterun starts quest, she tells one to find Amren in whiterun for second part, he tells one to find Embry in Riverwood who tells one to find the note that gives the last part of the quest that leads one to the follower.

so there are no doors one has to go through for the quest.

so it would be better to script the aliases for all than to add them in the Dialog views? or just the note?

As brian had mentioned doors or no doors, just make sure it's checked. Sometimes the actors simply move to an interior and your marker would become unavailable.

By save game I guess brian wanted to imply that you should not use a save game for the testing where the quest had already started, thus the script(s), if you have them attached to your aliases, which you should have, were baked into your save file.

You will need an Alias script file attached to your aliases, I underlined it because there are non-alias scripts as well, a script file (you'll need "defaultsetstagealiasscript", highly probably) that extends to alias, which is your trigger to next stage. However, I'm not sure if you need to re-think this, since you have no problems when it comes to proceeding the quest. I personally prefer adding scripts to quest aliases since the object that the scripts are bound to are simply non-existent, remember they are only quest related aliases, not the "real" objects, after the quest ends. Thus no quest related scripts triggering outside the quest = a clean and straight forward (simple may be a too strict a word) quest mod.

Edited by a1berik660

• 4 weeks later...

I may have time, but I'm a bit busy preparing my mod for release atm.

I looked at a mod for someone a few weeks ago and got lucky and found the problem in a few minutes... no promises, though!

Do you have a 'Discord' account? If you do just send me a friend request using the user name cumbrianlad and #1333. I'll get the friend request and you can upload the file(s) there. I'd need the scripts (both pex and psc) and any other loose files like textures, nifs and sounds if you have them. If there's an SEQ file you can add that, too, but it'll only take a minute to generate one once I have the esp.

if you don't send the psc files, it's a bit of a pain converting the pex files with champollion and putting them in the source folder.