Frequently Asked Questions

LHammonds

I do not believe you have to "do" anything with an ESM file. It is a master file that contains objects, scripts, etc.

Yep. The Fallout3.ESM (Elder Scrolls Master) file contains all the base information for the game. The game will read the plugin file before the master file, meaning any edits you make in your plugin will override the originals in the master, but non-destructively, meaning any edits you make are completely safe and the game can always be run by removing your mod again even if you seriously screw something in your plugin up that causes the game to crash, freeze or otherwise go wrong.

Likewise, if you have the downloadable content like Anchorage or The Pitt, you can make them masters to your plugin by loading them in the GECK* and making any edits you want, then saving your plugin. Next time you open your plugin, it'll automatically open up the Anchorage and Pitt ESM files as well, since they're masters for your plugin.

*Note that to load multiple masters you need to edit My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\GECKCustom.ini and change the line "bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=0" to a value of '1' instead.

Some mods also come with Master files (Mart's Mutant Mod and HairPack for example). If you want to override something in one of these, you can open the master, save a new plugin and make whatever edits you wish so that they override the originals, exactly the same as you'd do with the main game ESM. In the case of HairPack, you could create a new plugin with that as Master, then add the new hair styles to new NPC characters, or even edit existing ones to have new hair or eyes.

Generally speaking, unless you're going to create a huge mod with hundreds of new forms that you might wish to override using plugins (like removing certain features, or editing something to be better for users with lower power pcs, or adding optional extras that not everyone might want to use), you probably won't need to worry about creating an ESM file, everything you're likely to need to do can be done just using standard ESP plugins instead.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these locations, depending which OS you use:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Xlive\DLC (Windows XP)

C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC (Windows Vista)

Copy the three files for the DLC (Anchorage.esm, Anchorage - Main.bsa and Anchorage - Sounds.bsa) into the game's Data folder. You'll now be able to open up the .esm file and mod it as you would the main game.

• 1 month later...

I wrote a tutorial article, it can apply to either Oblivion or Fallout3

Its called Skree's Easy Skinned Armor Nifskope Tutorial

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=248

It covers the process of taking skinned meshes from 3d application through Nifskope and getting them all set for the TESConstructionSet or GECK, game dependant.

Alot of tutorials ive seen cover only 3dApplication-specific skinning instructions, or TESConstructionSet/GECK armor duplication/editing... but not many tutorials bridged the gap.

I tried to make it very simple and included 2 pictures to help illustrate, one of which is a detailed picture-guide to the simple 7-step process!

When I get more time ill make a full Tutorial for Fallout3 including Dismemberment and all that good Fallout3-specific stuff, but for now, this will work for either game.

Please link this tutorial in the FAQ or sticky it or put it with the others... Lots of people ask these questions and this simple tutorial should answer em!

Thanks!

Link added to list of modding tutorials. Thanks for filling that gap...it is appreciated!

If anyone else knows of very good tutorials that you think should be added to that section, please let me know. I do not keep up with FO3 events.

Thanks,

LHammonds

• 2 weeks later...

People frequently post questions regarding LOD textures that show up and fill in holes when they dig too far into the terrain.

Since LOD is too short a word to enable the search engine, I want to post this thread here in hopes that it might help someone out with this issue:

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=126510&hl

There is no easy solution yet that I know about, but there are solutions.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Noob question: I like the many weapon mods for Fallout 3. But sometimes one mod will have a great texture for a weapon, but not the right sound, while another mod will have the right sound but a crappy texture. I know there must be a way to intermingle them with the G.E.C.K. But I dont exactly know how. Any advice?

Cheers,