CTD Entering Sleeping Giant on New Game

NexusKnight

I've just started my first SE game and have 140 active plugins according to Loot. After reading Loot's messages I loaded every identified patch via Vortex. Everything's been cleaned with SSEEdit except Helgen Reborn. I'm using Win7-64, I7-9700k cpu, geforce gtx 1070 (8gb) w 16 gb ram.

Everything was testing just fine up to accepting the Bleak Falls Barrow quest from tRwT at the beginning of the game. So, I exited with Camilla and walked to the bridge where I then parted from her and returned to the Sleeping Giant to get my follower Selene Kate. I saved before entering.

Next, I installed Frostfall, Campfire, Real Needs & Diseases AIO USSEP and Fountains of Skyrim with several patches for them all. I attempted to enter the Sleeping Giant and CTD!

I then de-activated those mods and patches and tried to enter again from this last save and CTD again. I don't know what could be causing this, probably a conflict that I don't know how to identify. And so I'm asking for anyone's expert advice to help identify the problem so I can get back to my game.

Here is my load order:

0 0 Skyrim.esm

1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 3DNPC.esp
7 7 LegacyoftheDragonborn.esm
8 8 FISS.esp
9 9 EFFCore.esm
10 a RaceCompatibility.esm
11 b WARZONES - SSE - Civil Unrest.esp
12 c Weapons Armor Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
13 d Cutting Room Floor.esp
14 e SkyUI_SE.esp
15 f AMatterOfTime.esp
16 10 EMHearthfireMoveKidsfix.esp
17 11 Bathing in Skyrim - Main.esp
18 12 RealisticRoomRental.esp
19 13 Bathing in Skyrim - Realistic Room Rental.esp
20 14 AHZmoreHUD.esp
21 15 HearthfireMultiKid.esp
22 16 HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp
23 17 BikiniAscendVolume1.esp
24 18 atkspdmod.esp
25 19 JKs Skyrim.esp
26 1a Combat Evolved.esp
27 1b Helgen Reborn.esp
28 1c Solitude Expansion.esp
29 1d OBIS SE.esp
30 1e AI Overhaul.esp
254 FE 0 Qw_AIOverhaul_CRF Patch.esp
31 1f ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp
32 20 EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp
33 21 TKAA.esp
34 22 HearthfireMultiKid TKAA Patch.esp
35 23 EEO OBIS SE patch.esp
36 24 SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp
37 25 skyBirds_SSE.esp
38 26 ZIA_Complete Pack.esp
39 27 BirdsAndFlocks_SSE.esp
40 28 Artifacts.esp
41 29 AetheriumSwordsnArmor.esp
254 FE 1 DBM_OBIS_Patch.esp
42 2a Tiwa44_Minidresses_Dragonborn.esp
43 2b Tiwa44_Minidresses.esp
44 2c SkyrimSpeeds.esp
45 2d DeadlyDragons.esp
46 2e DeadlyCombat.esp
47 2f FNISSexyMove.esp
254 FE 2 3DNPCEFF.esp
48 30 EFFDialogue.esp
49 31 3DNPC_FrogCustom_Zora.esp
254 FE 3 3DNPCVO2.esp
254 FE 4 3DNPCVO1.esp
254 FE 5 DBM_WACCF_Patch.esp
254 FE 6 DBM_ZimsImmersiveArtifacts_Patch.esp
254 FE 7 DBM_SkyTEST_Patch.esp
50 32 LegacyoftheDragonborn TKAA Patch.esp
51 33 EEO CRF patch.esp
52 34 Helgen Reborn TKAA Patch.esp
53 35 3DNPC TKAA Patch.esp
54 36 SleepTight.esp
55 37 Wildcat - Combat of Skyrim.esp
56 38 Cutting Room Floor TKAA Patch.esp
57 39 Un-leveld nightingaleblades 03.esp
254 FE 8 DBM_HelgenReborn_Patch.esp
254 FE 9 DBM_SolitudeExpansion_Patch.esp
58 3a Trees in Cities.esp
254 FE a DBM_AetheriumWeapons_Patch.esp
254 FE b DBM_ZimsThaneWeapons_Patch.esp
59 3b More idle markers.esp
254 FE c RRR_3DNPC-Patch.esp
254 FE d Qw_3DNPC_USSEP Patch.esp
254 FE e Solitude Expansion Navmesh Fixes.esp
60 3c Skyshards.esp
61 3d Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
254 FE f DBM_JKSkyrim_Patch.esp
254 FE 10 DBM_CRF_Patch.esp
254 FE 11 Qw_WACCF_CRF Patch.esp
62 3e notice board.esp
254 FE 12 JKs Skyrim_Cutting Room Floor_Patch.esp
254 FE 13 DBM_NoticeBoard_Patch.esp
63 3f OBIS SE Patrols Addon.esp
254 FE 14 DBM_TreesinCities_Patch.esp
254 FE 15 DBM_ArtifactsofSkyrim_Patch.esp
64 40 icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
65 41 RaceMenu.esp
66 42 RaceMenuPlugin.esp
67 43 Kate.esp
68 44 HavenBag.esp
69 45 KS Hairdo's.esp
70 46 FNIS.esp
71 47 SOSRaceMenu.esp
72 48 The Ningheim.esp
73 49 TrueBrowsNingheimPatch.esp
74 4a The Ningheim - TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
75 4b RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
76 4c SameWalkRunSpeedsLite.esp
254 FE 16 3BBB.esp
77 4d CBBE.esp
78 4e RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
79 4f RaceMenuMorphsBHUNP.esp
80 50 Andromeda - Unique Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp
81 51 UIExtensions.esp
82 52 ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp
83 53 XPMSE.esp
84 54 3DNPC_FrogCustom_Amalee.esp
254 FE 17 DeadlyCombatMCM.esp
85 55 Rebekah.esp
86 56 OBIS SE - NoticeBoard - Addon.esp
87 57 Bijin AIO.esp
Bijin NPCs.esp
Bijin Warmaidens.esp
254 FE 18 Qw_BijinAIO_AIOverhaul Patch.esp
254 FE 19 Qw_BijinAIO_CRF Patch.esp
Bijin Wives.esp
254 FE 1a D13 Faster Get up Stand up Animations.esp
88 58 AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp
89 59 EMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.esp
90 5a Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remastered.esp
254 FE 1b DBM_CCOR_Patch.esp
91 5b Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul.esp
92 5c CACO ethereal_elven_overhaul Patch.esp
254 FE 1c CACO_USSEP_Patch.esp
254 FE 1d Qw_CACO_3DNPC Patch.esp
254 FE 1e Bathing in Skyrim - CACO.esp
254 FE 1f Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul_CCOR_Patch.esp
254 FE 20 DBM_CACO_Patch.esp
93 5d Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
254 FE 21 CACO_Ordinator_Patch.esp
254 FE 22 CCOR_Ordinator.esp
94 5e DeadlyCombat_Ordinator_Patch.esp
95 5f Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
254 FE 23 RRR_Alternate Start Patch.esp
96 60 Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
254 FE 24 RRR - Immersive Citizens Patch.esp
97 61 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
254 FE 25 JKs Skyrim_RWT_Patch.esp
254 FE 26 Bathing in SSE - RWT.esp
254 FE 27 Bathing in SSE - RWT Patch.esp
254 FE 28 RealisticWaterTwo - Watercolor.esp
98 62 WACCF_BashedPatchLvlListFix.esp
99 63 Bashed Patch, 0.esp
I would greatly appreciate any help offered to resolve my CTD's as SSE is too new a game for me to know all the ins and outs. I think I've followed all the necessary requirements but I've probably missed something simple. Thanks for your time and consideration with this problem - Rick
Edited by NexusKnight

This (*might help you solve that CTD, IFF it is associated with something left behind from the mods you installed and then uninstalled.

Download and install Fallrim tools. (see the instructions offered in the video at the fallrim tools mod page... it runs as an external application from wherever you download and uncompress it.)

Create a shortcut to fallrim tools and place it on your desktop

open the game, open your current save file

Save manually (not autosave)

close the game

Open fallrim tools

load the save file you just created

After loading, there will be a small modal box that reports the condition of the save. It may contain entires like

Detected 5 unattached instances

Detected 2 undefined Elements

Detected 8 undeifned threads

Click the Clean menu item and check Show unattached instances

if you like, review the entries it displays. I do because eventually you start to see the "where" these things come from. At first it probably will just make your eyes cross or look meaningless.

to remove the unattached instances from the save file

Click the Clean menu item,then select Remove Unattached Instances

Now do the same for the other detected items

Click the Clean menu item, then select Show Undefined Elements

review if you like

Click the Clean menu item, then select Remove Undefined Elements

(thread-related reported items are cleaned when you perform the second cleaning step, along with undefined elements fyi)

Click File and save the cleaned file

name if you prefer.

once saved, open the game and load the cleaned save file.

Hopefully that will purge any leftover scripts or references that might be causing this CTD

I could never use a bashed patch on Skyrim SE. Worked faultless on Oldrim but SSE CTD's on me with a batched patch. And Vortex has a mind of its own when it comes to installing mods. Used it a while but went back to the simplicity of NMM.

I could never use a bashed patch on Skyrim SE. Worked faultless on Oldrim but SSE CTD's on me with a batched patch. And Vortex has a mind of its own when it comes to installing mods. Used it a while but went back to the simplicity of NMM.

You should only use Leveled List in a SSE Bash patch otherwise will bork your game, as you have discovered. At least that is what worked for me. Although, as we all know, when it comes to computers, games, mods, and modding just because something worked for one person does not mean it will work for another.

As for the OPs problem what anjenthedog suggested might work although imo the OP will probably have to go back to a save before installing those mods or start a new game incorporating those mods if she wants to use them.

Installing mods in an ongoing game is almost always a bad idea. Unless the author specifically says on the description page that it is alright and describes how to do it it is something you just should not do.

The fact that the OP could enter the sleeping giant prior to his installation of several mods without issue, then couldn't after installing them, and then still couldn't after uninstalling them, led me to the conclusion I ran with. I've seen *similar issues and all but one or two cases, cleaning out the leftover garbage solved them for me. for those that I couldn't solve by un-installation and savefile cleaning, I punted back to old saves made prior to the installation.

...()...Installing mods in an ongoing game is almost always a bad idea. Unless the author specifically says on the description page that it is alright and describes how to do it it is something you just should not do.

In my current run, I've installed and uninstalled literally hundreds of mods. Not a problem and I'm now level 39, 63Hrs into the game. The game has 551 mods, of which 295 have a plugin (253 esp, the rest 'light'). All I do once in a wee while is use Beth.ini to clean the ini file.

I meanwhile have around 5000hrs in Skyrim SE and only once did I screw-up the game by installing and then uninstalling a mod. Can't even remember which one. I even uninstalled an armour mod while wearing an armour from that mod. All that happened was my character was bukk nekkid when loading the last save.

Not saying that you're wrong, just that you shouldn't repeat what you've read somewhere without having experienced it several times yourself. And if you did experience it several times, then you need to carefully check what you install before installing. 99% of the problems are created by the user, remember that.

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone I do appreciate your advice. I'm glad I've now got Fallrim Tools anjenthedog - seems useful, but for me there wasn't anything to clean... 0 items of the type you mentioned. So, that didn't work for me. And the problem remains...I still can't get into the Sleeping Giant without a CTD. And if I understand correctly, the inference made here is that I should only start a new SE game with all the mods that I want already installed? (That was beginning to be my own conclusion too.) I can do that but I really didn't want to lose my CharGen features that I spent an hour perfecting, because outside of AS-LAL, I CTD using showracemenu! Haven't been able to resolve this...can't even get into RaceMenu 'sculpt' feature during the tut without a CTD!. Maybe it has to do with the ported Ningheim Race I'm using, IDK.

I suppose I should try your recommendations and start a new char from memory (taking pics of the settings this time) and try the sequence of events again. And if SSE is that buggy when playing with mid game installs, perhaps it should work this time, no? (If you're correct.)

I'll give it a go and see what happens. And if I still can't get into the Inn, I'll be back with disappointing results then. But until then I'll remain optimistic.

As far as the bashed patch and Vortex go... I found a bashed patch very useful in LE but haven't used it in SSE. I didn't know it was even installed until you noticed it here Jimmy n andrews. It's empty and I will remove it now as it's unnecessary. And Vortex...I had to try it out and found the conflict resolution feature very useful but it still has problems with leaving some elements behind after uninstalling. And that's not good. But because NMM has it's own problems I'll probably keep using Vortex until it becomes less useful or more bugged.

In fact, Vortex was useful in keeping my Skyrim LE and SE games separate in the first place. I use both NMM & Vortex for each of my installs. Then I found out that SSE can corrupt an LE STEAM install if they are both installed at the same time! And so I had to uninstall Skyrim LE to see if that would stop my Racemeny CTD problems. And it didn't.

I thought getting into the SSE world would be easier and more rewarding than LE...I'm quickly beginning to realize the opposite now. If it wasn't for forums like this one and people like you the game industry would be doomed IMO! Anyways, my deepest thanks again for the advice and wish me luck for now, I'm going to try this again.