CTD Entering Sleeping Giant on New Game

NexusKnight

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone I do appreciate your advice. I'm glad I've now got Fallrim Tools anjenthedog - seems useful, but for me there wasn't anything to clean... 0 items of the type you mentioned. So, that didn't work for me. And the problem remains...I still can't get into the Sleeping Giant without a CTD. And if I understand correctly, the inference made here is that I should only start a new SE game with all the mods that I want already installed? I can do that but I really didn't want to lose my CharGen features that I spent an hour perfecting, because outside of AS-LAL, I CTD using showracemenu! Haven't been able to resolve this...can't even get into RaceMenu 'sculpt' feature during the tut without a CTD!. Maybe it has to do with the ported Ningheim Race I'm using? IDK.
I suppose I should try your recommendations and start a new char from memory (taking pics of the settings this time) and try the sequence of events again. And if SSE is that buggy when playing with mid game installs, perhaps it should work this time, no? (If you're right.)

I'll give it a go and see what happens. And if I still can't get into the Inn, I'll be back with disappointing results then. But until then I'll remain optimistic.
As far as the bashed patch and Vortex go... I didn't know it was even installed until you noticed it here Jimmy n andrews. It's empty and I will remove it now as it's unnecessary. And Vortex...I had to try it out and found it's conflict resolution useful but it still has problems with leaving some elements behind after uninstalling. But because NMM has it's own problems I'll probably keep using Vortex until it becomes less useful or more bugged.

In fact, Vortex was useful in keeping my Skyrim LE and SE games separate in the first place. I use both NMM & Vortex for each of my installs. Then I found that SSE corrupted my LE install. This is apparently common if they are both installed at the same time! And so I had to uninstall Skyrim LE to see if that would stop my Racemeny CTD problems. And it didn't.
CONCLUSION
I thought getting into the SSE world would be easier and more rewarding than LE...I'm quickly beginning to realize the
opposite now. If it wasn't for forums like this one and people like you ajenthedog, Jimmy & andrews the game industry would be doomed IMO! Anyways, my deepest thanks again for the advice and wish me luck for now, I'm going to try this again.

Well, I started a new test game with AS-LAL and quickly exited to run straight to Riverwood and into the Sleeping Giant. It worked, I got in with no issue! I didn't have the mods on that I supposedly had the trouble with tho. Then I started another new game more confidently, but this time loaded all the mods I wanted and took care to make a Char I was happy with. I was able to get into the Sculpt feature which I couldn't do before and finished my char. Then I went into Helgen and did the tut and back to Riverwood as usual. I didn't go in the RT and went straight to the Inn. And I CTD'd again.

The new mods I installed are:

Birds & Flocks SSE, Drinking Fountains of SkyrimSE, Frostfall SE w Campfires, Realistic Needs & Diseases 2 SE, and patches for Real Water 2, RND-Frostfall, RND-FoS, RND-CACO & RND-LotD. And that's it... Loot only flagged one objection to a missing patch but it was installed (don't understand that). These are main stream mods that I would have thought would work no problem.

Maybe it's LAL and I should do the vanilla start and see if that changes anything. Got nothing but time rn. Any other ideas while I check out LAL?

Edited by NexusKnight

What happened to my last post...gone!

Well, anyways to cut a long story short...after every test failed again and again I finally decided to try the vanilla tutorial and deactivate AS-LAL because it suspected a mod conflict somewhere and LAL seemed a good place to start.

So, I also deactivated Helgan Reborn so as to not stop the cart traveling and had no trouble until the camera set to 3rd person after CharGen which will glitch the dragon attack if not corrected. Simple fix...use console and type "epc" enables player controls to reset to 1st person to correct this.

Then it was off to find Ralof and into the keep when my camera glitched stopping me at the door dead. These are annoying game glitches that I'm used to and always quick save before entering any door! After recovering, there were no other problems escaping Helgan and then it was to Riverwood where I immediately went to try the Inn and gained access without a hitch.

And so, it seems that AS-LAL was preventing me accessing the Inn for what ever reason. Now it's removed it's clear sailing and I only have a couple of mods apparently not working to fix and I'll be set to start my Skyrim adventures.

I hope this helps some other newb like me as SSE seems a really buggy game. Thanks again for all the input fellas it's been an education. Until the next chapter...

Edited by NexusKnight

Personally, I've never encountered the glitches and errors you speak of in SSE. And I'm using 557 mods at time of writing. The only problem I encountered was a CTD when retrieving the Horn Of Jurgen Windcaller which I circumvented through the use of console commands to get the quest over with. Never found what caused the CTD and didn't experience another in other parts of the game. Also never used AS-LAL, just because of the potential for errors as that mod drastically meddles with the game's scripts. Loads of folk are able to use it without problems (or so they claim) but I never buy into those kinds of mods.

Good to hear you are now able to play CTD-free.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint everyone that was so kind to offer help in my hour of desperation previously, but I'm back again, lol. The furthest I've gone in game, so far, is to kill the dragon! Yipee!!

Since my last post here, I've been playing relatively problem free and expanding my load order, porting some LE mods over and testing everything for stability. Loot has informed me of any errors or patches that needed attention and everything was good, why even XEdit shows no mod conflicts (as best I can tell).

But along the way, I discovered a ton of trouble with this game and tell the truth I am about ready to give up. I'm still having CTD's and have discovered many fixes to all those past problems except this final one...I'm CTDing at the Sleeping Giant again!

It all started after my final run with a stable load order and I decided to install some texture mods and ENBoost (for FO4, v0283-Boris says it works). I didn't have a problem until I tried the latest Enbseries SE v0408. I started to crash going into tSG again right after starting a new game. Naturally, I removed both mods but still can't get into the Inn at all. And I'm back where I started with a borked game, just like originally but without anything I can think of to blame it on. I really don't know what to do now. I've read so many posts about various CTD issues but nothing to help me out now.

I really don't know what I've done wrong. My game was playing stable and then BOOM! I don't know whether to scream or shout right now...I thought I'd ironed out all the glitches. So I thought I'd try one last time to fix my game before re-installing Skyrim LE and going back to playing that. So, any more ideas anyone?

Here's my NEW Load Order:

0 0 Skyrim.esm

1 1 Update.esm

2 2 Dawnguard.esm

3 3 HearthFires.esm

4 4 Dragonborn.esm

5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp

6 6 3DNPC.esp

7 7 Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm

8 8 LegacyoftheDragonborn.esm

9 9 Campfire.esm

10 a FISS.esp

11 b EFFCore.esm

12 c RaceCompatibility.esm

13 d WARZONES - SSE - Civil Unrest.esp

14 e Weapons Armor Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp

15 f Cutting Room Floor.esp

16 10 SkyUI_SE.esp

17 11 SOSRaceMenu.esp

18 12 SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp

19 13 SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp

20 14 SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp

21 15 Schlongs of Skyrim.esp

22 16 Bathing in Skyrim - Main.esp

23 17 RealisticRoomRental.esp

24 18 Bathing in Skyrim - Realistic Room Rental.esp

25 19 JKs Skyrim.esp

26 1a Blues Skyrim.esp

27 1b Toccata as Elisif.esp

28 1c TrueBrowsNingheimPatch.esp

29 1d JKs Skyrim_Dawn of Skyrim_Patch.esp

30 1e Solitude Expansion.esp

31 1f Helgen Reborn.esp

32 20 OBIS SE.esp

254 FE 0 DBM_OBIS_Patch.esp

33 21 3DNPC_FrogCustom_Zora.esp

34 22 Tiwa44_Minidresses.esp

35 23 PumpingIron.esp

36 24 AMatterOfTime.esp

37 25 EMHearthfireMoveKidsfix.esp

38 26 AHZmoreHUD.esp

39 27 HearthfireMultiKid.esp

40 28 HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp

41 29 BikiniAscendVolume1.esp

42 2a atkspdmod.esp

43 2b Combat Evolved.esp

44 2c AI Overhaul.esp

45 2d TKAA.esp

46 2e Helgen Reborn TKAA Patch.esp

254 FE 1 Qw_AIOverhaul_CRF Patch.esp

47 2f ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp

48 30 HearthfireMultiKid TKAA Patch.esp

49 31 EEO OBIS SE patch.esp

50 32 BHTNF_Eli.esp

51 33 RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp

52 34 SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp

254 FE 2 DBM_SkyTEST_Patch.esp

53 35 ZIA_Complete Pack.esp

54 36 EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp

55 37 More idle markers.esp

56 38 Artifacts.esp

254 FE 3 DBM_HelgenReborn_Patch.esp

254 FE 4 DBM_SolitudeExpansion_Patch.esp

57 39 TacticalValtheim.esp

58 3a Trees in Cities.esp

254 FE 5 RRR_3DNPC-Patch.esp

254 FE 6 Qw_3DNPC_USSEP Patch.esp

254 FE 7 DBM_JKSkyrim_DawnOfSkyrimDC_Patch.esp

254 FE 8 Qw_WACCF_CRF Patch.esp

59 3b Frostfall.esp

254 FE 9 Solitude Expansion Navmesh Fixes.esp

60 3c Skyshards.esp

61 3d Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp

62 3e Drinking Fountains of Skyrim for SSE.esp

254 FE a DBM_CRF_Patch.esp

63 3f notice board.esp

64 40 Kate.esp

65 41 Missives.esp

254 FE b JKs Skyrim_Cutting Room Floor_Patch.esp

254 FE c DBM_NoticeBoard_Patch.esp

254 FE d DBM_TreesinCities_Patch.esp

254 FE e DBM_WACCF_Patch.esp

254 FE f ZIA_WACCF_Patch.esp

254 FE 10 DBM_ZimsImmersiveArtifacts_Patch.esp

66 42 TheAmazingWorldOfBikiniArmor.esp

67 43 AetheriumSwordsnArmor.esp

254 FE 11 DBM_AetheriumWeapons_Patch.esp

254 FE 12 DBM_ZimsThaneWeapons_Patch.esp

254 FE 13 DBM_ArtifactsofSkyrim_Patch.esp

68 44 DeadlyDragons.esp

69 45 DeadlyCombat.esp

70 46 FNISSexyMove.esp

254 FE 14 3DNPCEFF.esp

71 47 EFFDialogue.esp

254 FE 15 3DNPCVO2.esp

254 FE 16 3DNPCVO1.esp

72 48 LegacyoftheDragonborn TKAA Patch.esp

73 49 EEO CRF patch.esp

74 4a 3DNPC TKAA Patch.esp

75 4b SleepTight.esp

76 4c Wildcat - Combat of Skyrim.esp

77 4d Cutting Room Floor TKAA Patch.esp

78 4e Un-leveld nightingaleblades 03.esp

79 4f icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp

80 50 RaceMenu.esp

81 51 XPMSE.esp

82 52 RaceMenuPlugin.esp

83 53 KS Hairdo's.esp

84 54 FNIS.esp

85 55 The Ningheim.esp

86 56 The Ningheim - TheEyesOfBeauty.esp

87 57 RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp

88 58 SameWalkRunSpeedsLite.esp

254 FE 17 3BBB.esp

89 59 CBBE.esp

90 5a RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp

91 5b RaceMenuMorphsBHUNP.esp

92 5c Andromeda - Unique Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp

93 5d UIExtensions.esp

94 5e 3DNPC_FrogCustom_Amalee.esp

95 5f Rebekah.esp

96 60 Bijin AIO.esp

Bijin NPCs.esp

Bijin Warmaidens.esp

254 FE 18 Qw_BijinAIO_AIOverhaul Patch.esp

254 FE 19 Qw_BijinAIO_CRF Patch.esp

Bijin Wives.esp

254 FE 1a D13 Faster Get up Stand up Animations.esp

97 61 AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp

98 62 EMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.esp

254 FE 1b DeadlyCombatMCM.esp

99 63 Drinking Fountains of Skyrim for SSE - RND Patch.esp

254 FE 1c radiantBlocker.esp

100 64 HavenBag.esp

101 65 OBIS SE - NoticeBoard - Addon.esp

102 66 OBIS SE Patrols Addon.esp

103 67 RNAD_FF_Patch.esp

104 68 RNAD_LotD_Patch.esp

105 69 Dawn of Skyrim RND Patch.esp

106 6a SkyrimSpeeds.esp

107 6b Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remastered.esp

254 FE 1d DBM_CCOR_Patch.esp

254 FE 1e CCOR_Campfire_Patch.esp

108 6c Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul.esp

254 FE 1f Bathing in Skyrim - CACO.esp

109 6d RNAD_CACO_Patch.esp

254 FE 20 DBM_CACO_Patch.esp

254 FE 21 Qw_CACO_3DNPC Patch.esp

254 FE 22 CACO_USSEP_Patch.esp

110 6e CACO ethereal_elven_overhaul Patch.esp

254 FE 23 Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul_CCOR_Patch.esp

111 6f Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp

254 FE 24 CACO_Ordinator_Patch.esp

254 FE 25 CCOR_Ordinator.esp

112 70 DeadlyCombat_Ordinator_Patch.esp

113 71 RealisticWaterTwo.esp

254 FE 26 RealisticWaterTwo - Needs Mod Patch.esp

254 FE 27 Bathing in SSE - RWT.esp

254 FE 28 JKs Skyrim_RWT_Patch.esp

254 FE 29 RNAD_RWT_Patch.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by NexusKnight

Well I don't know what to think or say...'cept Skyrim SE has run me through the gauntlet for over a month...it's been CTD City! (Guess that's what testing is all about.)

But I'm now playing the game normally after finally gaining entrance to the Sleeping Giant Inn. I guess I should explain what I did as it's inexplicable to me...

So first, I inspected my load order again and found a few weird things wrong with my Data folder. One of which was a zipped script folder that got misdirected somehow into my esp list and an ENB Cache folder, I've never seen before, that I didn't remove with ENB v0408. Plus, I also took off a non fatal, conflicting mod to see if that would help... it didn't - no change.

Well, seeing my last quick save CTD'd when entering tSG, I decided to take a more relaxed approach this time. Instead of running to the Inn as quick as I could with Ralof to try to gain access, this time I went back to the previous save with Gurda and Ralof discussing our escape. I took my time seeing Lucian to get the Bleakfalls Barrow quest and then saw Alvor wasn't around and decided to sleep outside at around 7.30 pm 'till 7:30 the next morning. I then saw Alvor, did my business and at around 9:15am I was free to try the Sleeping Giant Inn one last time.

And it was like Voila - magic! I got in without any trouble at all. I can't believe it, I don't understand. These are the same mods I was using to enter tSG before this last CTD (except for ENB which I removed)! And I carefully made sure everything was installed correctly without any conflicts. It's the same run through, yet because of some weird inexplainable glitch, (maybe timing?), it wouldn't let me continue. Anyway, now I'm not going to touch my game any more and just play the way it was intended. Really!

I don't know how JimmyRJump and others can play forever with only one CTD! I've found too many giltches and problems with my game I'm sick of it, lol. But I am laughing now (gives a sigh of relief).

My only conclusion is...DONT' PANIC. The game isn't designed to break, but when it does there's always some else that's been there too...and your fix will probably be much simpler than mine, lol. You're not alone with the great support here on the forums.

Once again, I'm grateful you guys are here to help even if it's only to say, "glad you've got it working'. I don't come here often but I always leave happy. Wish me luck everyone...ciao.