Hello everybody!

I have a question:

Is it (technically) possible to make a new custom race in Fallout 4? Like with custom meshes and all?

If so, how would this be done? And how hard would it be? Any tutorials for this that explain the process in detail?

I have a little bit of experience with the CreationKit, NifScope, 3DSMAX.

If you want to know why i am asking, it is for a personal project.

I can't decide between playing / modding Skyrim or Fallout 4, so I want to "port" Skyrim to Fallout 4.

I know this will probably take years of work, but I have lots of time.

Things like importing the landscape and the 3D assets will be no problem, they will just take lots of time and hard work, but the whole race-thing makes me worried.

[No, I do not plan to publish this ever, it is just for me alone ...]

I know that this is a crazy project, but I like to focus my attention on one thing instead of "wasting" time on to things at once.

And I decided to port Skyrim to Fallout 4 because FO4 has "more features". It would be impossible to get the "Settlement building" thing form FO4 into Skyrim.

Totally possible, done it a few times.

As for tutorials, had to brute force learn, but did so by finding mods that either made some NPC's or the Player "Unique" and pulled at the threads in the mods, using XEdit and CK, until I could make sense of it.

Learning the structure of the NPC's and how race effects models, armor used, animations etc. I'd suggest starting in XEdit to see how the different things interact, but you should always do NPC edits in CK as XEdit will allow invalid changes that can result in serious errors to pure CTD's..

Some Mod's I'd suggest taking a peak at to see how they interact and make new or modified races..

Vulpine Race:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/34387?tab=files

AnimeRace Wakaichan (Sub-Race)

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/39233

RaceCustomizer

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15212/?

Unique NPCs - Creatures and Monsters of the Commonwealth

My own mod, really need to update it, but I have a number of new NPC/creature races in it

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24357?

• 6 months later...

fo4 needs a true furry mod, but for now we need at least felines. we already have foxes and sharks. I think the major groups that we need now are rodents, felines, canines and dragons/lizards

Edited by Estevan14

fo4 needs a true furry mod, but for now we need at least felines. we already have foxes and sharks. I think the major groups that we need now are rodents, felines, canines and dragons/lizards

Ok, sure, I guess?

More mods are always a good thing ...

If you can make custom race mods, maybe document the process while you are working on it ...

Because at some point in the future I will start work on "custom race mods" again and good documentation is always needed ...

If you want to request something, this is not really the place for it .....

Ok, sure, I guess?

More mods are always a good thing ...

If you can make custom race mods, maybe document the process while you are working on it ...

Because at some point in the future I will start work on "custom race mods" again and good documentation is always needed ...

If you want to request something, this is not really the place for it .....

Nop I don't know even how to start creating such mod. I1 think I'll need to request in the apropriate forum or to the creator of the vulpine and shark mods himself, at least how to make such mod.

remember, I'm not a mod maker, I'm a mod tweaker

Ah, ok ....

But don't expect too much if you post in the "Request Forum".

It takes a long time to create a mod such as this (3D models, textures, animations, ...), the quickest part is adding the new things into the CK :laugh:, all the other things take very much time ...

And most people who know how to do things are busy, well, doing things (their own things ...) ...

But try anyway ...

• 3 months later...

I would like to follow up with this, because it's not as easy as reverse-engineering the thing. I'm working on an update for my Yet Another Sexy Hancock 2K mod, one that properly converts Hancock to his own race instead of cheating the system by turning him human and then pointing to new texture files. I'm soooo close, but I'm tearing out my hair over the Morph Data info.

The short version is that I created a new race called HancockRace by copying and renaming HumanRace, because I wanted to keep all the Human morph data and face parts (eyebrows, scars, etc.). Ghouls have one face and it's completely morph-less, so you can't create a unique face under the texture, which is a bummer. Beauty is only skin deep, as they say, but nice cheekbones also help. Heh...

Anyway, to get to this point, I followed this tutorial to the letter: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_a_custom_race_for_Skyrim

It is very close to be correct, except that the Creation Kit has undergone some changes since this was written, most importantly the part I'm having issues with, which is the Morph Data under the Race menu. The problem is that when I finished making the race, it did NOT keep the HumanRace morph points. I don't think I touched that part of the form, but when I saved it, it wiped out all the values. So now I'm having to copy over each morph point number value into the new Race form. The good news is, that works. But it is super tedious. I'm not trying to create a whole new anime or furry race with custom facial animations or anything like that. I literally am just altering the HumanRace by adding some ghoul stuff to it so I can hopefully do this to some other ghouls in the game without changing them to human.

Any ideas?

Is there really no other way to do this or copy the info from one race to another? There's a lot about Creation Kit I don't know, especially anything concerning face animations. I see something under the Character menu that says "Update Facebones Model Availability". Will that help me in this case, or am I stuck? Fortunately, I only have to do it once--well, maybe twice if I can't get it to work for the female race, too. But it'd still be nice to know.