Skin texture turns to shiny flat texture.

ryan282

I have Racemenu installed and when i load a preset everything but my head/hands/and feet turn to a really shiny texture, when i switch to a different race and back it fixes it. How ever while in game if i either put on or take off any armor/clothing it applies this shiny texture on my body. only way i can fix it temporarily is open racemenu and close it, but i dont want to have to do that every time i change my armor/clothing/or weight. I'm using the BHUNP body with Demoniac body texture, i tried googling this problem but i can't find anyone that has this same problem. any ideas?

By the way this only seems to happen with racemenu, i tried Enhanced character edit and it doesnt do this how ever i would much rather use racemenu.

Just ran into this issue as well. let me know if you find a fix.

Edit: By any chance do you use the Evanescence racemenu preset? I first seen this issue after using that preset. even after switching to another one. I hid the nif and dds files in the chargen folder for her and its gone. Maybe another presets files are clashing with your builds as well? Good luck, hope it helps you.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone managed to fix this? unfortunately I've been troubleshooting for more than 20 hours without success. I cannot reproduce it on a brand new save, however, the skin will turn glossy usually after 10min - 1h into the playthrough.

Furthermore, i know that if the skin gets glossy, there is a high chance the save will be unloadable unless racemenu is removed. Skyrim will just crash while loading the save. In the .NET Script Framework Crashlog (god bless this mod), I can see that the crash happens inside skee64.dll (Racemenu) because of something related with "BSEffectShaderProperty".

Obiously, it could also be some kind of conflict. However, I could not find a conflicting one with simple "disable half then other half" troubleshooting.

As my modlist contains some mods that come from the place that shall not be named, i cannot post it here. If anyone wants to compare with mine for troubleshooting purposes though, feel free to pm me.

If you have any mod that affects the skin "tone" based on rain or swimming, you may just be seeing something normal.

For instance, I use BOSSE, and when I get wet, my skin gets glossy, until it dries out. I have it set to produce a 35% glossiness when the player is wet.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21029

I actually use a mod like that. My first guess was actually said mod so i disabled it. However, it was not responsible for this bug. As stated before, the texture is extremely glossy and it gets temporarily fixed by opening and closing racemenu. However if any body armor is equipped / unequipped, the body is glossy again. If RaceMenu is deactivated in MO2 Left Pane, everything execpt the character looking like an ogre is fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dont know if its too late but here are the fixes that worked for me, after i spent the whole day troubleshooting.

1. I reinstalled Racemenu to make sure its Files arent corrupted or something else.

2. I uninstalled old Presets from Legendary Edition which caused the Problem for me. (I think they tried to load some textures which SSE couldnt handle)

3. Started a new Save, since all old saves are "corrupted". Make sure to not load previous saves, cause if you do the shiny skin will carry over to all other saves you load and you will have to start again.

(also dont load Presets made by you while you were experiencing the issue, for the same reasons)

4. If you run NAT disable Subsurface Scattering in its Options Spell, if you dont run NAT you can try Mods like Ugly Bronze Shine remover (dont know if its optional, just try it out)

So basically watch out which Presets youre using or if Subsurface Scattering is enabled.

Hopefully, i could help.