Dark Face Bug strikes (yet again - OK sorry)

BlueGunk

READ NO FURTHER! Cured. I reloaded all my character-related mods and that seemed to cure it (for now...).

New game. New character. All looking excellent until I hit the root cellar in Sanctuary.

Kabloom! Dark Face Bug on emerging from the cellar. Face...Palm. Now, I believe this is my fault. I'd forgotten one mod for the Sanctuary Home and put it in during the Root Cellar.

So I probably corrupted my game.

I used to drop the game and reload and the character would be fine. This time I cannot get this face fixed. And I have tried:

* Face Ripper

* Making a copy of the original preset and trying to swap to it

* Swapping to another face, saving and reloading and reapplying my original, preset.

* Etc etc etc.

My question - anyone else tried something that's different and got a result? (Yes I have the usual Dark Face fix mods etc).

I'm also happy to tinker with Fallrim Tools Resaver if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

So, roll back a few saves before you got back to sanctuary, and see if the bug is still present. (or at least, before you went into the bunker.)

Yes, that was one of the first things I did! No deal. That's why it confused me until I realised a texture pack had blown out somewhere.

I am using Unique and Followers REDUX. which works for me.

I looked through the different tattoo mod that have the basefemalehead_d.dds texture, and copied it into the player human female file. The same should work for male chars. They seem to use the low-res textures.

I have never had the black face bug happen on my char. since. NPCs are a different story.

I don't know if copying the the same file that CBBE creates, base human feemale/male works as I have not tried that one.

I never had this bug. What triggers it?

The High-Res DLC, and face mods Like Looks Menu.

I sometimes, very rarely get a bug that turns the face brown due to Looksmenu, but quick save and reload fixes that for me. This sounded permanent.

Edited by AeonsLegend

I never had this bug. What triggers it?

The High-Res DLC, and face mods Like Looks Menu.

I sometimes, very rarely get a bug that turns the face brown due to Looksmenu, but quick save and reload fixes that for me. This sounded permanent.

I am having the same issue right now, but not with my char. Only select male NPCs have black faces. I do not think it's looks menu related, as I reinstalled it thinking something is overwriting it, or a load order issue what a mod that was overwriting it. Have to wait until the weekend to mess with it and hope I can fix it.

Edited by bill8872

I've had an incorrectly made player settlement completely jack up my settings, while I was inside the location.

Forced my textures and meshes to go wonky. Had both the brown face bug, AND the invisible body bug happen simultaneously!

A floating brown head was interesting to see :dry:

But in most cases, it's because somebody has installed textures with different resolutions. Such as 8k body textures and vanilla or 4k face textures. Or vice versa.