Fable Anniversary Vortex Support

xonemanlegacy

Hey,

While I'm not sure it's a game we'll get around to adding for a while (unless someone on the team has the game, we can't test it), you can always look at adding it to Vortex yourself.

I wrote an article to give some basic direction https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Creating_a_game_extension_for_Vortex

so after an afternoon of messing with the files through trial an error i think i‘ve made an extension (basic one) that will work just fine for the mods that people can make for fable anniversary. next best thing would be a download with vortex button on the mods im making. https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/84/

Wow!

Thanks for the Vortex addition!

Have a Kudos!

Alright cool, when you get time I would suggest adding an installer to the extension, currently it will just extract the contents of any downloaded .zip file directly into the mods folder. Which is fine if all mods are structured correctly, but becomes problematic if there are different kinds of mods or different folder structures.

I was curious about the installer because I don't know how to make different files go into different folders, I have .bin files neading to go to "Fable Anniversary\WellingtonGame\FableData\Build\Data\CompiledDefs\Development" .tng files go to "Fable Anniversary\WellingtonGame\FableData\Build\Data\Levels\FinalAlbion" .qst would go to levels and so on. As it stands now if someone tries to install an compatible mod it wont effect anything but if they make a mod that has a zip with the basic file structure in it till work.

Are you certain the executable and requiredFiles paths are correct? They are supposed to be relative to the top-level directory of the game.

So if the full path to the exe looks like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\[b][color=#ff0000]Fable Anniversary\Fable Anniversary[/color]\[/b]Binaries\Win32\Fable Anniversary.exe

then

executable: () => 'Fable Anniversary/Binaries/Win32/Fable Anniversary.exe'

is correct, but if it's

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\[color=#ff0000][b]Fable Anniversary[/b][/color]\Binaries\Win32\Fable Anniversary.exe

it should be

executable: () => 'Binaries/Win32/Fable Anniversary.exe'

Regarding different file types going to different folders: I would strongly suggest that the mods be packaged with a common root (as returned by queryModPath) so the root could be "Fable Anniversary\WellingtonGame\FableData\Build\Data"

and then the mod package contains "CompiledDefs\Development\foo.bin" and "Levels\FinalAlbion\bar.tng"

You can tell Vortex to call your own code to rearrange a mod during installation. At this point you could just ignore the directory structure in the archive and set the target folder structure based on file extensions.

This might work nicely here but

a) it makes the extension more complex

b) it may also make it harder for users not using your extension if mod authors rely on this behaviour.

Consider this: If the package is already packaged correctly, the instructions for a user installing the mod manually are simply "extract my mod to Fable Anniversary\WellingtonGame\FableData\Build\Data". This is good for every user of the mod and not much work for the author.

If mod authors rely on your extension to figure out the directory structure automatically, the instructions become:

"If you use vortex, just install the mod, if you're installing manually, pick the .bin file, install them to x, pick the tng files, install them to y, ..."

Your extension becomes more complex and thus more error prone, installing mods manually becomes a pita, all just so the mod author doesn't have to apply a wee bit of discipline when packaging the mod.

Are you certain the executable and requiredFiles paths are correct? They are supposed to be relative to the top-level directory of the game.

Â

Â

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\[b][color=#ff0000]Fable Anniversary\Fable Anniversary[/color]\[/b]Binaries\Win32\Fable Anniversary.exe
Â

thenÂ

Â

is correct, but if it's

Â

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\[color=#ff0000][b]Fable Anniversary[/b][/color]\Binaries\Win32\Fable Anniversary.exe
it should be

Â

Â

Â

Â

Regarding different file types going to different folders: I would strongly suggest that the mods be packaged with a common root (as returned by queryModPath) so the root could be "Fable Anniversary\WellingtonGame\FableData\Build\Data"

and then the mod package contains "CompiledDefs\Development\foo.bin" and "Levels\FinalAlbion\bar.tng"

Â

You can tell Vortex to call your own code to rearrange a mod during installation. At this point you could just ignore the directory structure in the archive and set the target folder structure based on file extensions.

b) it may also make it harder for users not using your extension if mod authors rely on this behaviour.

Â

Consider this: If the package is already packaged correctly, the instructions for a user installing the mod manually are simply "extract my mod to Fable Anniversary\WellingtonGame\FableData\Build\Data". This is good for every user of the mod and not much work for the author.

If mod authors rely on your extension to figure out the directory structure automatically, the instructions become:

"If you use vortex, just install the mod, if you're installing manually, pick the .bin file, install them to x, pick the tng files, install them to y, ..."

Your extension becomes more complex and thus more error prone, installing mods manually becomes a pita, all just so the mod author doesn't have to apply a wee bit of discipline when packaging the mod.

When going through all of the different mods that could potentially be uploaded to nexus I feel like things go to far to many locations for people to deal with, cosmetic changes through unreal, level or model, all happens within welington/blah/content while all of the collision, intractable objects, weapons, scripting, and so son happen within all the different sub folders of fabledata. Also Iâve considered having the folder structure start from fable anniversary so that if a mod needs access to the exe it can have it since they put it in a strange location separate from the game files. I think that the extension is fine they say it is for the most part Iâll just have to hope that people make sure that they structure the zips nicely instead of a pile of unorganized files

Â

Â

Â

thenÂ

Â

is correct, but if it's

Â

it should be

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

When going through all of the different mods that could potentially be uploaded to nexus I feel like things go to far to many locations for people to deal with, cosmetic changes through unreal, level or model, all happens within welington/blah/content while all of the collision, intractable objects, weapons, scripting, and so son happen within all the different sub folders of fabledata. Also Iâve considered having the folder structure start from fable anniversary so that if a mod needs access to the exe it can have it since they put it in a strange location separate from the game files. I think that the extension is fine they say it is for the most part Iâll just have to hope that people make sure that they structure the zips nicely instead of a pile of unorganized files

I added this to the Extension page and I am adding instructions to all the mods I post and commenting on other mods to get their permission to repack them if they need to be pre modded with an editor

"Because of the wide assortment of mod file locations for fable anniversary you'll need to package your mods like so

Mod tool install locations:
"Binaries\Win32"

Cosmetic Changes:
"WellingtonGame\Content\*"

World Edit + Cosmetic World Edits:
"WellingtonGame\Content\Maps\*"
"WellingtonGame\FableData\Build\Data\Levels"

Some mods will be in other folders surrounding these so please start your zip by packaging the sub folder inside of fable anniversary"