[LE] Looking for advice from 3D artists.

SeScreener

I'm currently trying to expand my portfolio and I really want to make some nice high quality armors. The goal I have in mind is to make armor that looks great but will also be fully optimized for games like skyrim. I simply have no idea where to start.

Using Blender 2.79, I assumed I could use a simple plane and model a basic shape and then maybe use a solidify modifier to make it look like actual armor, but this seems like a painfully slow process and not the most efficient. I'm also clueless as to how I should texture it since I'm only familiar with tileable textures. Obivously I'd have to bake normal maps in order to keep it optimized, but this is really the only thing i know how to do.

If anyone has some tutorials I could use it would be greatly appreciated, and I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have. I've been searching for months and I can't seem to find anything really useful, so I'd love if someone with some experience in this area could point me in the right direction. Thank you all for reading! :)

&&

Firstly, most of us just use what works. There isn't really a well defined process. What you do is go look at some of the models already made in the community. Usually people will also make tutorials, but I find it's better to just PM them to ask. You can gain a lot of info that way. Maybe you had a particular idea in mind for the look of the model. Well, go find someone that is making something similar, and just ask them. Otherwise it's endless amounts of tutorials or YouTube videos. Also, https://polycount.com/ comes to mind, and places like the official educational communities for Autodesk, Blender, ect.