So lately I've been trying to take an honest crack at mod making, and so far it's going well. With some help, I've been able to move right along (thank you to the two of you that posted in my previous post). I'm hitting a few snags, though:

First and foremost, I'm trying to apply a specific enchantment to a custom glove that I added. I made the enchantment in the spellmaking tab (It's a Bound Dagger Enchantment, a Fortify Attack enchantment, and a Drain Health enchantment). However, I can't select my enchantment on the custom glove I made (it's just a regular common right glove with a new ID). What am I doing wrong here?

The other questions are, to my mind, more simple, but I can't seem to find any good documentation to help me on this, despite my googling (on that note, if anyone knows any good, comprehensive guides, I'd love to check them out). But to the point: how to you make an NPC a merchant, and add items to their inventory? And how do you make an NPC a trainer and select what they can train you on? I'd also like to lock their training behind a quest requirement, if possible.

Did you set your enchantment as constant or on use?

What happens if you remove the bound dagger effect?

To make a merchant/trainer NPC you should preferably untick the auto-calculated stats box so you can set everythig the wy you want.

Click on AI -> Services, there you can set the barter gold, things the merchant buys and the training service. Except if I'm wrong the skills for which you can be trained are those the trainer has the highest level in.

To give items to a merchant open his invenory and drag & drop the items inside.

You make create a chest where the merchant stocks his items but it will probably be removed when you'll repair the references in your save so you'd better set the merchant as a leveled creature with his items for sale directly in his inventory.

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

@Oblivionaddicted,

I tired removing the bound dagger effect, but I haven't tried editing the on use/constant effect - that slipped my mind. I'll try that when I can get to my PC.

To the rest of this: yeah, that all makes sense, and thank you very much (and I notice that you hang around these community forums a lot - thank you for all the help that you give people in general). Can you clarify the last bit, though, about the referencing being removed via the save game? I'd prefer to put the NPC's merchant items in a chest, if I can, so that way I can put them behind a lock in case the PC kills them (as they're out in the wilderness and would be easy pickings).

@Necrolesian,

Spellmaking, I'm pretty sure. Is there and enchanting tab (not at PC right now so I can't check).

If you use mods,modify them, install new, uninstall some you need to clean your saves and sometimes repair all using Wrye Bash to avoid some problems.

Unfortunately the save cleaning oftenly removes some things it shouldn't s it's very likely to remove your merchants' chests like it already did for mines.

Spellmaking, I'm pretty sure. Is there and enchanting tab (not at PC right now so I can't check).

In order to make a new enchantment you need to do this.

1. Create a custom spell (Spellmaking tab)

2. Create a new enchantment (use the spell you created in a new enchantment in the Enchanting tab)

Also, check other vanilla enchantments, just to see how it's done by editing an existing enchantment without saving the changes of course.