Oblivion has stopped working error

raistlinc

Recently I bought a new PC and reinstalled Oblivion Game of the Year Edition through Steam. No mods added. When I start up the game, I can see the Bethesda logo then the whole thing just crashed to desktop.

I open the "Option" in Launcher and the game won't recognize my graphic card when I selected "Restore to default".

Can someone please give me a clue what is wrong?

System specs:

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.80GHz

Memory: 8GB

Display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1023.69MB (Latest driver update)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by raistlinc

The first thing to do is to ensure that your game (and/or Steam) is installed OUTSIDE of the Windows protected 'Program Files' folder structure.

Steam installs into the UAC protected 'Program Files' folder by default. UAC can cause problems with things that change programs - such as mods. :rolleyes:

How to Move your Steam to another location Without having to reinstall anything.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231

I already installed Steam outside "Program Files" due to past experience in previous PC. The thing that I don't get it is why it can't recognize my video card. Could this be the cause? Already updated to latest driver.

:confused:

Oblivion is an old game, and your video card would not have been around to be included in the recognised cards. Try deleting your \Documents\My Games\Oblivion\oblivion.ini and then re-start the game from the launcher. That way your hardware will be re-initialised. Don't worry, I have dual GTX 580s, and I have no problems.

I already installed Steam outside "Program Files" due to past experience in previous PC. The thing that I don't get it is why it can't recognize my video card. Could this be the cause? Already updated to latest driver.

:confused:

Oblivion is an old game, and your video card would not have been around to be included in the recognised cards. Try deleting your \Documents\My Games\Oblivion\oblivion.ini and then re-start the game from the launcher. That way your hardware will be re-initialised. Don't worry, I have dual GTX 580s, and I have no problems.

Wow, it worked.

Thanks to all for the advice. So glad to be able to play the game again. :biggrin: