Skyrim SE crashing at random

TarvinDracken

The game crashes just a bit after I pick up the gear from the fallen Stormcloak.

I have a notice in Vortex that says:

"Errors reported:

-"EngineFixes.dll" ((Part 1) Engine Fixes 4.13 for SSE 1.5.97 - skse64 plugin) dependent dll not found (code 126)

-"SNCTSave.dll" (Audio Overhaul Skyrim (3.2.0)): reported as incompatible during query."

As far as I can tell, I installed the second part of Engine Fixes correctly, so I have no idea what is causing the issue unless I have a conflicting mod. Audio Overhaul is also installed correctly, as it's done through Vortex. Could that be the culprit? If it is, could someone point me to a better alternative that will play nice?

Here's my loadorder list:

# Automatically generated by Vortex
Joy of Perspective.esp
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
aesbetterdbdreward.esp
00MarzWindhelmHome.esp
arnima.esm
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Immersive Weapons Patch.esp
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
BS_DLC_patch.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
Undeath.esp
FloraRespawnFix.esp
Forgotten DungeonsSSE.esm
ForgottenCity.esp
HarvestOverhaul_Redone.esp
SofiaFollower.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
moonpath.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
ogSplendorDragons.esp
Rigmor.esp
RiversideShack.esp
Settlements Expanded SE.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp
SkyUI_SE.esp
BSHeartland.esm
BSAssets.esm
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp

Vortex causes more problems than it solves. Some folks will tell you otherwise, but such has been my experience. As a result, I went back to Nexus Mod Manager. Much simpeler, but hassle-free. Start from scratch. Will be some work involved, but you won't get an ulcer from installing mods.

After the amount of time I have thus far into learning modding, with Vortex, I cannot disagree that may be good advice from JimmyRJump, but it does not solve your question. I have seen/see those errors myself.

First, the -"SNCTSave.dll" (Audio Overhaul Skyrim (3.2.0)): reported as incompatible during query" is caused by unused files from Audio Overhaul. It is on my agenda to fix this as it is irritating as hell, but causes no problems in game play. Vortex just flags it. AO just needs some files removed that is not being used. I just have not had time to research it farther to find out how to correct it.

Second, is that an exact copy of your LO? If so, have you set any rules for mods or plugins in Vortex? I am confused because your Beyond Skyrim Bruma mod has the .esm files loading after its patch.esp plugin. That alone would cause a CTD. Vortex always sorts them BSAssets.esm, BSHeartland.esm, and later the BS_DLC_patch.esp every time for me. A patch has to follow the last mod it affects in LO.

Last concerning -"EngineFixes.dll" ((Part 1) Engine Fixes 4.13 for SSE 1.5.97 - skse64 plugin) dependent dll not found (code 126). What procedure did you use to install SKSE64 and the engine fixes? It can matter if you install skse64 manually or with vortex. Without knowing I'd guess you might have part 2 of engine fixes installed in the wrong directory. If my memory serves correctly it should be installed in the game directory. Same folder as the game executable.

@JimmyRJump It's not the first time I've had issues with Vortex. The list of dependencies I set up in order to get Fallout 4 to work was ridiculous.

@Indiao21 That's what appeared in my load order file. It was all set by Vortex. I'll try setting a dependency for that. There were a few conflicts on different things so I went with the load order recommended by Vortex, but nothing has been flagged regarding any of those since.

As for the SKSE64, I installed it using Vortex and the part 2 is in the correct folder according to the instructions. Do you have any advice for troubleshooting this one?

Edit: I set up the correct dependency for the mod in question, tracked down where I placed the part two files by mistake and deleted them. The files are in the correct location and the game still crashes. Oh, and no more error showing up about the SKY not working because of SKSE64 not working, so that's one issue solved I guess.

Edited by TarvinDracken

@JimmyRJump It's not the first time I've had issues with Vortex. The list of dependencies I set up in order to get Fallout 4 to work was ridiculous.

@Indiao21 That's what appeared in my load order file. It was all set by Vortex. I'll try setting a dependency for that. There were a few conflicts on different things so I went with the load order recommended by Vortex, but nothing has been flagged regarding any of those since.

As for the SKSE64, I installed it using Vortex and the part 2 is in the correct folder according to the instructions. Do you have any advice for troubleshooting this one?

Edit: I set up the correct dependency for the mod in question, tracked down where I placed the part two files by mistake and deleted them. The files are in the correct location and the game still crashes. Oh, and no more error showing up about the SKY not working because of SKSE64 not working, so that's one issue solved I guess.

Have you compared that list to what vortex is actually showing on the plugins tab? I have come across those .txt generated files by vortex on LO and have found inconsistencies between them and actually how I have the plugins arranged. I ask this because the LO you show above is nothing like what I have seen vortex generate for me and my LO is about 30x yours.

On the mods tab are you setting any rules other than what vortex is asking you to define? If vortex is not throwing an error do not set any rules there for mods. Only set the rules on the plugins page to match the rules set on the mods tab if both mods have plugins that appear there.

Myself not knowing what you had done thus far with any possible rules would recommend this. This is a very small mod list and should easily be managed by vortex by all my workings seen thus far with it. Go through and remove all the rules you have set on both the mods and plugins tab. If you have established any group IDs for plugins reset them to it's default. On the plugins tab just click the minus in either area and on the mods tab turn them all back to ???? marks in the choices.

Once both areas are cleared of rules click the deploy button on the mods tab. It may or may not give you error messages. Either or just ignore it for now. On the mods tab under dependencies scroll through and look for any red lightning bolts. Set the rules according to how you want or go with vortex recommended. Most of mine fall in line with what vortex recommends so I think you are more than safe to do the same with your list.

After deploy your mods again. Doing so also sorts the plugins and will show if you have any cyclic rules in the plugins. Also, do another scan over your mod dependencies again as setting rules for one area can cause a rule needed to be defined in another sometimes after deployment. If none are red move to the plugins tab if it is showing you have cyclic problems. I doubt you will have any, so if not try your game.

If all is working properly you should see the unofficial skyrim patch at the top of your LO under the game DLCs. This is its proper placement and both LOOT and Vortex know it. That is why I believe you possibly have rules or group IDs established that are not needed and stopping vortex from sorting it properly. Another indication that vortex is working properly will be all your .esm plugins will be at the top of your LO under the USSEP. If you establish rules or groups you can force vortex to align LO in some areas and it will disregard LOOT's master list.

Do all that first and if you are still having problems we can address them.

Here is the plugin list before troubleshooting:

*Joy of Perspective.esp
*aesbetterdbdreward.esp
*00MarzWindhelmHome.esp
*arnima.esm
*Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Immersive Weapons Patch.esp
*BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
*BS_DLC_patch.esp
*Cutting Room Floor.esp
*Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
*Undeath.esp
*FloraRespawnFix.esp
*Forgotten DungeonsSSE.esm
*ForgottenCity.esp
*HarvestOverhaul_Redone.esp
*SofiaFollower.esp
*AMatterOfTime.esp
*Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
*Immersive Weapons.esp
*moonpath.esp
*My Home Is Your Home.esp
*ogSplendorDragons.esp
*Rigmor.esp
*RiversideShack.esp
*Settlements Expanded SE.esp
*Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp
*SkyUI_SE.esp
*BSHeartland.esm
*BSAssets.esm
*Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
*Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp

Step 1:

I cleared all rules except for making sure that the patch for Beyond Skyrim comes after the mod.

Step 2:

I got the following conflicts:
Beyond Skyrim DLC Integration Patch v1.1.2 seems to conflict with both HarvestOverhaul_Redone_AIO_INstaller v1.0.1 and Moonpath to Elsweyr SSE v1.16.1

Moonpath to Elsweyr SSE v1.16.1 also conflicts with HarvestOverhaul_Redone_AIO_INstaller v1.0.1 according to the unresolved file conflicts.

Step 3: I chose the suggested load order to resolve conflicts.

This is the current load order according to the text file:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Joy of Perspective.esp
aesbetterdbdreward.esp
00MarzWindhelmHome.esp
arnima.esm
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Immersive Weapons Patch.esp
BS_DLC_patch.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
Undeath.esp
FloraRespawnFix.esp
ForgottenCity.esp
SofiaFollower.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
moonpath.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
ogSplendorDragons.esp
Rigmor.esp
RiversideShack.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp
SkyUI_SE.esp
BSHeartland.esm
BSAssets.esm

Step 4: I start the game and get a notice that Skyrim Script Extender isn't working. I reload the game, get no message, and the game crashes (again) just as the gate in Helm's Keep is being opened by the Imperials. It likes to crash there ... a lot.

Step 5: I realized that in my aimless attempt at troubleshooting that I uninstalled it to see if it would make a difference. Reinstalled, redeployed mods, and I didn't even get as far as the gate opening.

Step 6: Double-checked and made sure my dedicated GPU was handling the game and not the integrated. Game got to where the soldiers actually entered the keep! I was so excited and launched my attack on the filthy Imperials! ... And the game crashed before my first swing made contact.

Edited by TarvinDracken

"Filthy imperials", to funny lol. By your list I am not seeing the results we should be seeing. On what tab are you setting these rules? You say you removed all the rules except the one for the Beyond Skyrim patch but it is not falling in line with its .esm files like I mentioned above. Only mods that the author specifically specified should come before the USSEP patch. Out of all my mods I have only encountered one and you do not have it in your list.

Try this, remove all the rules set on the plugins tab. You should only have made rules for the red lightning bolts on the mods tab. If it is not flagging a conflict on the mods tab do not set any rules. After they are removed deploy them.

Without any rules made on the plugins tab show me what it sorted the plugin list to. Verify that what you copy in here exactly matches what the plugins tab is showing you. Vortex has the ability to pretty much put them in any order we need but if one is not careful it will just make for more problems. LOOT has been around forever it seems and a lot of modders really trust it so I am hesitant to inform you to do things that could cause other problems before we really know what is happening.

Also, go back through and verify that you have read all the related info on the mod page for all your mods. Not just the description page! You need to verify the requirements there and look over all related posts, articles, videos, etc. Sometimes the info you need maybe scattered. Patches maybe required for these mods to work together and that info will usually point you to them.

As an example, after looking over your list again, you are using both Beyond Skyrim Bruma and the Beyond Reach mod. There is a compatibility patch offered to make these two mods work together and I am not seeing it in your list. Not having compatibility patches and having master files come after the plugin requiring them will cause CTDs. I am not familiar with some of the other mods you have, off the top of my head, to know if you are missing anymore patches. Try all that and let me know how it works.

Still working on things. I found a patch mod that applied needed patches to everything I have but it still didn't work. I uninstalled all mods, did purge for good measure, and plan to start installing them again one by one with the ones I want the most. Even though I installed SKSE correctly, something still kept it from working so I decided clean slate was the best route.

@Indiao You mentioned that you have a large list of mods. Would you mind sharing it so I could copy it? I figure that if you have more than twice the mods I do, then you don't have the issue of mods that conflict with one another. I'm starting to suspect that the culprit could be some of the player home mods conflicting with something like larger settlements or even each other. I liked the idea of homes that I could customize and might have gone overboard. I blame playing Fallout 4 for that.

I appreciate the faith in my mod list but I am also finalizing everything. Everything I have tested and followed up seems stable thus far but I have a lot of mods to follow up on too. I have been at this for awhile now putting together a mod list for a play through. I am only maybe three quarters through the verification and now up to sseedit to work through the last of the conflicts. I still have a couple patches to make for some mods I want.

Also, unless you are running the same hardware or better, best to avoid using another person's mod list. Plus they may think it is alright and may not have discovered problems yet. It maybe stable for an hour of playing but what about after five hours or more. Best to do your own research on the mods you want to put together. Then you know it is researched completely for what it needs.

With skse64 you can install it through vortex if you want. I am hesitant to mention this, and why I did not before, because veterans like JimmyRJump may have more experience with these areas to know why it is better to install it manually. During my countless hours of research I found a write up that the person uses vortex to install it to keep the directory clean. Made sense to me so I been using it, but until JimmyR spoke up I was not aware if there are benefits to installing it manually. If you want to try it, vortex just messes up the folder structure installing it. You just install it with vortex then open it up through file manager in vortex. Put the data related files in the data folder and the rest outside of it. Close file manager and double click the mod in vortex. When the side window opens you have to set the "Mod ID" to "din". Activate the mod and it is done. I will assume you know how to test if skse64 is working with the tilda key and console commands. If not just find almost any video talking about installing skse64 and I am sure it will be covered.

I also noticed you do not have the "SSE Engine Fixes" mod installed. This fixes things with the game and with skse64 script extender. I do not believe it will cause a CTD without it, but cannot hurt to have it. As I understand the "Engine Fixes" mod is the old one and "SSE Engine Fixes" is its replacement. But, I have read of people using both. I am assuming it is in case one did not have all the fixes that was needed. I am not running both. I was using the engine fixes until I discovered that sse engine fixes was the latest. I figured if the person writing sse engine fixes knew there was things not addressed in the first one they would have included all past corrections needed. Just educated reasoning.

I believe you are safe with all the house mods. Unless they are conflicting with other areas to close or overlapping them, you should be fine. I had even came across a video on a person merging all his house mods into a single to save slots. Of course after fixing all the conflicts in sseedit.

When you re-install all of your mods do not pay attention to how the mods tab in vortex is listing them. You can install them in the exact order you want there and switch tabs or close it and when you reopen it all the mods will be listed alphabetically. That is why I said to only resolve conflicts that vortex creates the red lightning bolt for. Even if you set rules on the mods tab vortex will not align them that way on the display. The plugins will align according to rules set as long as they do not violate the LOOT list. That is the area you want to be concerned with in vortex.

I will copy your list below and show how I think it should be set up with some notes to help.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp - this always goes first beneath the game dlcs unless a mod author says their mod needs to come before it

BSAssets.esm

BSHeartland.esm
arnima.esm - Checking master's LO in Wyre Bash says the mod author intended it to be before the BS_DLC_patch.esp....IDK why, but I followed it.

BS_DLC_patch.esp

****Notice that the .esm files are at the top of the LO. Ones with the .esp that vortex allows higher than a .esm are most likely flagged internally. Below this part is not for LO organization!!! You need to research to see if the mods have placement requirements. I just put them in a general order based on memory and notes I added for you.

ForgottenCity.esp - This one also needs a compatibility patch to work with Beyond Skyrim Bruma that is not present

moonpath.esp - This mod I have also and it has navmesh fixes, etc mods for it and compatibility patches for Beyond Skyrim Bruma and others that I do not see present.

Cutting Room Floor.esp - Lots of write ups I have read mention getting this mod as high as possible in LO

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp - I had this one but encountered problems with it. Then read it has problems with quite a few other mods, so I removed it and went with another NPC dialog overhaul.

Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp - Heard mention of this being problematic for other mods too but not as bad as Immersive Citizens. Still research it well

Audio Overhaul Skyrim.esp - NEED this mod for patch below to work....see note below. It is not in your list

Immersive Weapons.esp

Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Immersive Weapons Patch.esp - This is a compatibility patch to make Audio Overhaul work with Immersive Weapons but where is the AOS mod?

Joy of Perspective.esp
aesbetterdbdreward.esp
00MarzWindhelmHome.esp
Undeath.esp
FloraRespawnFix.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
ogSplendorDragons.esp
Rigmor.esp
RiversideShack.esp

SofiaFollower.esp - I have encountered a lot of reading, and been told, that follower mods need to go low in LO. That is where I put mine and all seems well thus far

SkyUI_SE.esp - This one is tricky and I am still trying to learn the facts of it. Most references I have seen show SkyUI being high in the list of LO (so low priority) but, I have been told it needed to be low in the list of LO (high priority). I took the person's word, as their facts made sense to me, and have low in my list and all seems to be well so far. I just made a mental note of it in case problems develop later.

If vortex does not put the USSEP right after the game dlcs then double click it on the plugins tab. Under it's group set it to "Pre Very Early (Patches and Addons)" and then sort the plugins again. That should put it right beneath the Dragonborn dlc. Yes, setting groups will help align your LO but this is very susceptible to making problems as it can override the requirements of LOOT's master list. Meaning you can make a plugin be in the wrong order assigning it to a group. Try to stick with making rules to align your plugins and use setting groups as a last resort after completely researching a mods requirements. The list of groups is not cut and dry. Meaning they do not align plugins according to the listed order they fall within. You can think choosing group title B would make it come before C but it may not, as a simple example.

That was a lot of info I was trying to avoid bombarding you with, but take it step by step and triple verify everything as you go, at the least. Really research the mods you choose to use and all should turn out fine. Hopefully some more experienced modders will reply here, in case my understanding is incorrect, and we both can learn some more.