Replaced voice not always played

morpheuss99

Hi everyone!

I replaced some voicelines of NPCs, which are played during combat mostly. I have done it by this method:

1. Extracted voice from game archives to \Data, path to them are like \Data\Sound\voice\Fallout4.esm\...
  2. Converted the .fuz files to wav+lip file pairs
  3. Changed the .wav files, keeping the name
  4. Converted the pairs back to .fuz
  5. They are in their original place

When I tested the changes in ame, I noticed that the NPCs don't use the modified files. Then, spawning more and more (while and eliminating the ones which are not using that kind of voice), some of them said which the modified files contain.

My question is that why are the files in the archives still used besides the modified ones with the same names?

I don't do much voice, but when I do this frustration happens all the time.

It seems that quests will "cache" topics once they { start | use a bark | use a scene | something else } so they keep using the original BA2 source FUZ rather than the loose files even with bInvalidateOlderFiles enabled. Two workarounds I use:

(a) run each test in a totally clean/fresh savegame. I now have library of around 300 different clean quest.stage saves to find the closest that has not activated the quest or any of the dialogue topics.

(b) repack the original BA2 with your updated files.