Suggestions for dynamically changing securitron screens/faces

devinpatterson

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for changing the securitron screen/face dynamically in game. Isabelle and I are putting together a Marilyn Monroe Securitron companion and we'd like to be able to switch out various faces/screens (happy, surprised etc) depending on the conversation or game circumstances.

I think it could be done with having all the separate screen nif's and a niVisController node on each, but I havn't cracked that code yet.

My 2nd idea was an animated texture, with a playGroup command to move the texture from one face to another, but that apparently doesn't work on rigged models.

The vanilla securitron has a nif for the screen and an associated kf (specialidle_screentransition1.kf), but I think that may only be for special effects (rolling pic, etc).

Ah how nice, the game still has interesting technical details to discover.

Scripts that upgrade the securitrons (e.g. VFSSecuritronSCRIPT) call the following command in one way or another:

SetSecuritronExpression rSelf Infantry Neutral

There was no relevant Infantry in the FalloutNV.esm file but the Fallout - Textures.bsa file has a folder textures\creatures\securitron\ which had the file infantry_neutral.dds among others. I extracted infantry_neutral.dds and infantry_alert.dds, renamed them but kept the "word underscore word" convention and fired up New Vegas. I paid Victor a visit and in the console tried the SetSecuritronExpression command on him with the renamed files and it worked.

I have no idea if this will break anything later on but it seems potentially like the way to go.

You can also make securitron faces work like VR Pod mini videos in Tranquility Lane and Operation Anchorage; there's 1 texture with 4 panels on it. All the posters also work the same way. In your case you would put 1 expression on the top left panel, another on top right, etc. Then you make an animation nif with controller to operate it. Edited by DizzasterJuice

You can also make securitron faces work like VR Pod mini videos in Tranquility Lane and Operation Anchorage; there's 1 texture with 4 panels on it. All the posters also work the same way. In your case you would put 1 expression on the top left panel, another on top right, etc. Then you make an animation nif with controller to operate it.

Yeah that's what I was referring to re: the animated texture, but I was under the impression that doesn't function with rigged models. If it does could you provide any details on the differences between the two (I have a basic understanding of using the animated textures with a static nif, but no clue in re: to a rigged nif).

Because if it does work, I see a great number of applications (small status screens on powered armor, robots with various little crt's etc).

• 7 years later...

I know this is really old, But I've always wondered about the unused Alert Faces and got it working

Yep, but you're not limited to *just* the unused textures for novelty, you can add your own. For example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vneAdVvOuYM

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXXQQ_YHHk