Skagens

Hey.

So, a lot of online games usually have some kind of setting to enable or disable the profanity filter available in the game, which means that the standard mean words get blurred. Now, this seems to be enabled by default here on the forums, and probably on the nexus as well, but it's not some inherent setting given to the users. I can't find any profanity filter in my account settings, but there seems to exist one at least. Just something in use by the site itself, and not an option given to us. Either that or I'm both blind and stupid, which is possible.

I'm therefore suggesting to add it as an account setting for the users. I just noticed that I typed a "bad" word in a private message to someone I'm conversing with but it got blurred. And I get some people are fragile and can get really bummed out if it's directed and meant to be taken as an insult. It's not that big of a deal if this falls on deaf ears, I just find it kind of silly. I feel that, whatever your reason is, it would be nice to just have that setting. If I want to privately send a friend here on the forum a message, and want to use some profanity, why should it get blurred? I know he's not going to be offended, because we're friends, and that how we talk.

Anyway, just felt it would be kind of nice to have. Cheers, and remember to be decent to one another.

Hey.

So, a lot of online games usually have some kind of setting to enable or disable the profanity filter available in the game, which means that the standard mean words get blurred. Now, this seems to be enabled by default here on the forums, and probably on the nexus as well, but it's not some inherent setting given to the users. I can't find any profanity filter in my account settings, but there seems to exist one at least. Just something in use by the site itself, and not an option given to us. Either that or I'm both blind and stupid, which is possible.

I'm therefore suggesting to add it as an account setting for the users. I just noticed that I typed a "bad" word in a private message to someone I'm conversing with but it got blurred. And I get some people are fragile and can get really bummed out if it's directed and meant to be taken as an insult. It's not that big of a deal if this falls on deaf ears, I just find it kind of silly. I feel that, whatever your reason is, it would be nice to just have that setting. If I want to privately send a friend here on the forum a message, and want to use some profanity, why should it get blurred? I know he's not going to be offended, because we're friends, and that how we talk.

Anyway, just felt it would be kind of nice to have. Cheers, and remember to be decent to one another.

Yet you want to be able to use unfiltered expletives?

The filter IIRC is built in, because, decent people are creative and intelligent enough to get their ideas across without using the "F" word as a comma.

The filter IIRC is built in, because, decent people are creative and intelligent enough to get their ideas across without using the "F" word as a comma.

Yes, I want to be able to use unfiltered expletives. I'm conversing with a friend and using expletives, in the appropriate context, can be fun.

And you can get off your high horse, you're not better than people for not using profanity. I want people to have an option to be able to see profanity, or choose to have it censored. That's it. You could even make the setting be on as default, I don't imagine that would be too difficult. Hell, you could even just limit it to affect private messages and have everything else that's public on the forum censored.

Yes, I want to be able to use unfiltered expletives. I'm conversing with a friend and using expletives, in the appropriate context, can be fun.

And you can get off your high horse, you're not better than people for not using profanity. I want people to have an option to be able to see profanity, or choose to have it censored. That's it. You could even make the setting be on as default, I don't imagine that would be too difficult. Hell, you could even just limit it to affect private messages and have everything else that's public on the forum censored.

Yea, with that attitude you've convinced me it's a good thing the censor filters aren't optional.

In the T&c's:

No profanity. It is perfectly possible to express yourself using civil language. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filter.

However, if you want to use profanity, become a mod author so you can gain access to the GMAD forum ;P (Edit: looks like you already qualify?)

Yea, with that attitude you've convinced me it's a good thing the censor filters aren't optional.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else. Read my post again. I'm making a suggestion, you either think it's good, or you don't. What I did was respond to your condescending attitude. I don't know why you felt you needed to comment in the first place, as it wasn't, to use your words, intelligent nor "creative". Maybe you had a bad day.

However, if you want to use profanity, become a mod author so you can gain access to the GMAD forum ;P (Edit: looks like you already qualify?)

An attempt at humor I suppose.

I suggest you read my post again, and then one more time to make sure, as I think you missed my point. I'm making a suggestion to give users the setting to enable or disable a profanity filter. It's not an argument for harassment towards anyone here, it's for people to have an option to either see it, or not. I'm not arguing out of anger or frustration either. Mean words only have the power you choose to give them, and if you don't want to see it, you could just turn on the profanity filter, or block the user whose forwarding the harassment. Problem solved.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else. Read my post again. I'm making a suggestion, you either think it's good, or you don't. What I did was respond to your condescending attitude. I don't know why you felt you needed to comment in the first place, as it wasn't, to use your words, intelligent nor "creative". Maybe you had a bad day.

An attempt at humor I suppose.

I suggest you read my post again, and then one more time to make sure, as I think you missed my point. I'm making a suggestion to give users the setting to enable or disable a profanity filter. It's not an argument for harassment towards anyone here, it's for people to have an option to either see it, or not. I'm not arguing out of anger or frustration either. Mean words only have the power you choose to give them, and if you don't want to see it, you could just turn on the profanity filter, or block the user whose forwarding the harassment. Problem solved.

Skagens,

And you can get off your high horse

IRONY

The thing is, if you and your friend want to swear at each other over the internet because you think it's "Funny" then go somewhere and do it?

If you think that swearing and TAKING THE TIME TO TYPE OUT THOSE SWEARS is in any way "Funny", then maybe you should reassess what you're actually spending your time doing, yes?

I've never seen a request to be able to have Uncensored Swearing for the sole purpose of "Me and my friend think it's funny"

There's no "High Horse" here. Seriously.

The thing is, if you and your friend want to swear at each other over the internet because you think it's "Funny" then go somewhere and do it?

If you think that swearing and TAKING THE TIME TO TYPE OUT THOSE SWEARS is in any way "Funny", then maybe you should reassess what you're actually spending your time doing, yes?

I've never seen a request to be able to have Uncensored Swearing for the sole purpose of "Me and my friend think it's funny"

There's no "High Horse" here. Seriously.

I took my friend swearing at each other mostly as an example. There are words that aren't offensive but have a slur in them. F-up is one word. If I were to use that word to describe a shortcoming of my part, it will be blurred because it has the F-word in it. That's silly to me. And that's my point. Why not give me the option to be able to see the word? Should I have to go to another platform to be able to express myself the way I want even though it's harmless? I guess I could, I just don't see why I should have to.

And in your initial comment, you came off as condescending. You made yourself, and anyone who don't use slurs come off as "better" than others who do. It doesn't. And I don't need to rethink my time spending at all. Profanity filters exist in many games, because the developers know people use them, and don't necessarily use them for ill intent. They could just as easily block every bad word, end of discussion. But most don't. I'm not making the argument of "my friend and I think it's edgy and fun to swear at one another", I'm making an argument that some people don't have to be sheltered, some people can see a bad word without being overcome with emotion.

But like I said, this isn't that big of a deal, a harmless suggestion is all. Like you said, I could just as easily use a different platform, if that's needed. It's silly is all.

If you'd like to start over, we can. I made a suggestion and you think it's not a very good one for whatever reason. That's ok, we don't have to argue further.