Skagens

I'm not against profanity filters, but it does seem strange to have one enforced for everyone in private messages. It can be troublesome for non-English speakers, like myself - I couldn't tell you how many times I've talked with fellow Swedes in online games and had random Swedish words(whole words or just part of them) censored because they mean something else in English. I don't see anything negative with having the option to toggle filters off as long as they are ON by default.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've talked with fellow Swedes in online games and had random Swedish words(whole words or just part of them) censored because they mean something else in English.

This is a good point that I didn't think to bring up.

As far as I know, the owner and staff want the nexus site and forums to be primarily in English - which I agree with. But in private messages, to my knowledge, one is free to use any language they want. And if someone wants to communicate with someone that speaks the same language, you may very well have random words get blurred because they mean something else in English. Isn't that a bit ridiculous? I would like to have a profanity filter be applied to the entire forum, but I'd be ok with it being limited only to private messages for this exact reason.

I'm neutral on the point of PMs. I mean, you're using it exactly as intended and in those cases I'd absolutely agree that we shouldn't prevent users from communicating properly. (Although if a non-English PM thread gets reported that's problematic). But PMs are also an avenue malicious or spam users will take advantage of from time to time.

On a very basic level, PMs are just forum topics with permissions restricted to two users, so there isn't currently a way to have them play by their own rules (AFAIK). There will likely be a bit more separation when we move away from the forum for PMs (not any time soon).

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread, I feel need profanity filters to be lifted, in order to adequately respond to it.

I have wonder why it isnt optional, as well. I think it should be.