Battles that were too insane for words (or weapons).

Wulcy

There are a few particular battles in this game that were... beyond difficult.

My first experience was playing the noble Cousland. At the end, the final fight. That Howe Knight. Holy... quite an ending for a beginning fight, wasn't it?

Of course, other fights would make that one look like nothing, but still for that early of a stage.

Pause (space bar) is your friend. :wink:

It can buy you some time to scroll back and get a big picture view of the battlefield and take stock of what all of your followers are doing, and plan how each can be best utilized in your current situation.

I typically use Advanced Tactics and Unlock All 25 Tactic Slots and rarely have to intervene - or even participate, since the Advanced Tactics mod offers a feature that allows the warden to be AI controlled - lol. From time to time I do need to take control of some party member or another, though, if the team is getting hammered.

There's a character you bump into in the human noble origin that you can recruit to fight with you. He's not a great war asset, but can serve as fodder to take some of the heat off.

Don't forget that alongside the tactics themselves, you can also set their behavior. I'm quite fond of "default" (or ranged for mages and archers) because the default behavior tells them to avoid enemy AOE, which can save lives. And potions.

There was one particular battle that was very difficult not only because the enemies were tough but because the game was notoriously crashing 9 out of 10 times in the fight. I eventually didn't engage and sat back while my chars finished them off, as to not crash the game. I would post details but I'm not sure about spoilers in this section.

I've played this game on Nightmare about 10-11 times, and I find that the most frustration-inducing fights tend to be the ones that can occur earlier in the game. Possible spoilers below:

1) "Mercenary ambush" random encounter in Leliana's quest. This happens after Leliana tells you why she fled to Ferelden. Problem is that this can occur very early in the game. Without the right team comp (if your team is melee oriented, for example) this fight can actually be very hard. I just got to this fight earlier today, and it took me about 8 tries to finally barely beat it. After that I reloaded the game and decided to not take Leliana with the party until I got to higher level so I can have a revenge match. My party is around level 12, and all the enemies in that fight already have very high tier abilities - Scattershot (leader), War Cry with Superiority (qunari), Overwhelm (stupid wolves), Chain Lightning (mage), and the dual wielding rogue seems to be a maxed-out Duelist, too. If you stay at the starting position, the leader will turn your entire team to pin-cushion. If you move up, the mage shoot fireball and chain lightning at you.

2) Elf ambush which happens if you fail stealing in the Dalish camp. The leader is a boss-ranked dual wielding rogue who is extremely strong, and there are four archers raining arrows on you from four corners of the map. There are also traps just in front of the three archers to the north side of the map.

3) An early game random encounter in which your party starts at the middle of an open field, there are two melee hurlocks behind you, and in front of you there are two genlock archers, one hurlock emissary and one elite-ranked hurlock alpha. There are about 5 or 6 traps around your party too, and without a decently-leveled rogue you can't detect these. The emissary has access to Curse of Mortality and Crushing Prison very early in the game. He's normal-ranked but is very deadly if you don't take him down right away. This fight can be quite a pain if you're unlucky enough for it to happen too early when you're not having the ideal team comp.

All that being said, I play with many self-imposed rules/handicaps. In the mercenary ambush, I want to kill all of the enemies before killing the leader, so I have to let him live until I have killed everyone else. I also never use any potion at all and I cannot let any party member ever fall in battle throughout the whole game. I also have custom scaling that makes enemies tougher than vanilla. So yeah, I guess I'm just one of those "clinically insane" masochists when it comes to games I love.

There are some other fights that can be extremely tough if you have self-imposed challenges. For example, the Ransom Drop Location fight in which you fight with three crow assassins against something like 20 enemies. Try doing this fight on Nightmare, no potion use, no party member dying, while keeping all three crow assassins alive.

The fight against Witherfang is really tough too. In my game Witherfang literally oneshots any party member with one Shred which is an automatic crit that does ~120 damage plus bleeding damage of about the same amount.

And then there's the fight against the werewolf Gatekeeper and twelve other werewolves.

Honestly, I'd take the fight against Cauthrien in the Arl of Denerim's Estate over any of the above fights any day.

Edited by DLuf