Want to start modding, but need some guidance (Primarily Armor focused)

Spyderbyte656

Before getting into this, hopefully what I'm about to cover isn't super redundant or in the wrong forum. If it's either, let me know and I'll take appropriate actions (Delete the post, move it, etc.).

Hi, as the title says, I'm new to modding.

I really want to get into making armors and eventually workshop items for the game. I'm currently focusing on doing armors.

I've been slowly going through the Wiki tutorials for adding armors and grabbing most of the programs, but am kinda confused on some parts.

The tutorials seem a bit dated and I'd rather hear this info from active users.

So far I have

- Blender 2.82 and Maya 2020(Student)

- 3DS Max 2020(Student)

- Photoshop 2020

- BodySlide & Outfit Studio

- Bethesda Archive Extractor

And will be getting these later on

- Nifskope (Recentest Version?)

- Creation Kit (Recentest Version?)

- 3DS max Nif Plugin

- Blender Nif Plugin

My first few questions regarding this:

1. What programs require specific versions and which ones do not?

So far, it seems 3DS Max needs to be 2016 for the Nif plugin. Is that set in stone or are any of the recent versions supported too?

Blender seems like it might need to be a certain version too, v. 2.75? Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Am I missing anything / are there any other programs that would be good to grab too?

I've seen some people say Material editor and Intel Texture Tools are good to grab in addition to what's required. Should I?

3. 3DS Max vs Outfit Studio, What would you recommend for a beginner?

Think I'm leaning towards Outfit studio, but fine with using either so long as I can get the support I want.

I don't mind not having physics and using copied weights as of now, but would love to see this stuff usable with body mods + physics as soon as possible. I'd like to be able to add those options myself, if it's not too difficult.

4. Best workflows?

I'll probably throw more questions in the comments as I think of em.

Thanks in advance for any help provided. I'll try to be as active with this as possible, new to the forums + college boi.

Edited by Spyderbyte656

You can use every 3D modeling software you want to use. If you can export as OBJ/FBX then you can import into Outfit Studio and do the weighting and NIF exporting there.

I would recommend to not use the Community NIF Exporter. It is hit and miss.

For textures... Well the number 1 tool is probably Substance Painter. Then Intel TextureWorks for exporting to DDS (BC7 for Diffuse / BC5n for Normals and SpecGloss). Material Editor is needed for BGSM/BGEM files, too.

Worflow:

Import the base body and bodyparst (hands, head, ...) into MAX (or any other 3d modelling software). Model your armor around the body. You need a high poly and a low poly mesh. The low poly mesh needs to be UV-unwrapped and game-ready. The high poly mesh has all the fine details and high polygon count as well as material boundaries for texturing.

Export both separately. Load substance with the low poly mesh, bake down maps from high poly mesh. Texture your model. Export Textures. Compress them in Photoshop with Intel TextureWorks.

Create BGSM files for your Materials.

Load the Low poly mesh into Outfit Studio together with the base body. Assign the material files. Then do the bone weighting. Sometimes copy weighting is enough. Most armors need manual painting to get them right. Export as NIF.

Done with assets.

For workshop items, you also need MAX 2013, HCT (Havok Content Tools) and the BGS NIF Exporter (comes with CreationKit). With that you can create custom physics (and eventually animations) which are needed for furnitures. Model and textures your mesh as above. Skip the OS part, import into MAX 2013, create collision/animations and export from here.

Keep in mind. This is all very simplified and only shows the basics of the workflow. Modeling asstes for a game is nothing you do in 10 minutes while watching netflix.

Good to know. That case, I'll look into Substance painter, Material Editor, and TextureWorks soon, and not worry about Nifskope.

This is a solid starting point, thanks a bunch!

The videos and tutorials I've been looking into should be able to fill in any gaps.

And I know modelling/modding this is going to take some time, I'm prepared for it though. As long as I can get the results I want, I'm fine with it taking a while to complete.

I have some 3D modelling experience, know the time/attention it takes, and don't mind it.

If anyone has anything to add, please do so, more info, the better.

Edited by Spyderbyte656