[Help] How to add animations to custom races?

Deleted44827447User

I've recently tried to add in some walk animations specifically, https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/33998

and the race I used is FF Modified race.

Firstly after following the guide and required mods I'm having trouble getting it to work even without a custom race, But my main priority and question is how do I apply it to the modded race I Have?

(I am COMPLETELY New to this so I'm sorry for the questions)

I hope this helps:

Quote:

"Animations are stored as KF files. For the player's character and NPCs, 3rd person animations are located at meshes\characters\_male (despite the name, animations are gender-neutral). 1st person animations are located at meshes\characters\_1stperson. Animation files can be placed at meshes\characters\_male\specialanims and then assigned to individual actors to be used instead of the default 3rd person animations, such as Sheogorath's walking with a cane animation in Shivering Isles."

Taken from the TES CS Wiki: https://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Animation_Tab

Judging by what you write, it sounds like you want to take the animation from the linked mod, put it in meshes\characters\_male\specialanims folder and then load up the CS and assign that new animation to your actor of choice (and maybe disable their normal walking animation) in the NPC's "Animation" tab.

This describes setting animations for individual actors, not sure if you can set different animations for entire races, never tried that myself.

And if you are using Blockhead then it seems that you are in for a new type of trouble as someone in the linked mod's comment section mentions problems with the linked mod and Blockhead.

Edited by mixxa77

Hmm, looks like the main feature of the linked mod is not actually part of the mod, as there's only loose KFs in the Main files.

Forgetting the mod itself for a moment and only taking its KF files instead, you can very well, and reliably, achieve race-dependent animation replacements through Blockhead though.

(This is also what the response to the conflict/problem comment mentioned before points at. They call it Blockheadizing.)

I've done it for my main character and his fiance/companion in my game as well already. As they're both of custom races, due to race-based Blockhead animation overrides I made it so the two have completely different animations to all others, and yes, male and female are different, too.

You just take the Walk Forward animation of your choice and put it into "meshes/characters/_male/specialanims" as mentioned, but then rename it so it says "walkforward_BLKD_PERRACE_FFModified_F.kf", where "FFModified" is the display name of the race your character is of (so it's definitely "not" FFModified, which is only an example!) and "F" (or "M") makes it gender-specific. Sadly I don't know the name of the race your intending to use it for, so I can't give a complete instruction. But I know it's not the EditorID of the race used here but the display name instead.